Intruders!

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
I would be interested to know what rights a home owner has if they protect themselves against an intruder?

I know that it is by far the best idea to not retaliate and to do what they say, but if the situation deteoriates and an intruder is injured or worse killed what would my position be?

In England it is only acceptable to use reasonable force, this has caused some outrageous decisions against homeowners due to the definition of what is reasonable force. I can imagine when you feel threatened you are not at your most rational and thinking about the criminal's welfare!

If someone broke into my house and was obviously not of the usual point a gun take the stuff and run but wanted to harm me and my child I would do ANYTHING necessary to protect us. (I am female). Where would that leave me legally in the unlikely event I did manage to defend us?

Would appreciate the thoughts of long term posters who have probably discussed this before and maybe even faced this situation themselves.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you harm or kill an intruder, I'm sure your not going to have a problem.
I don't know of anyone going to jail for harming or killing a thief.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Although you will surely be detained for a period of time as the police investigate, specially if you killed the intruder.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
just ensure if you kill or harm him he is on your property and inside your house. this situation can get tricky if he/she is outside your house. but then again, dominican law is different tha US....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004

Never, never call the authorities, call friends for help in order to dispose of the body. Or do it yourself! Get a large metal trunk large enough to fit the body, fill it in with concrete, and when the coast is clear, have it carted away. Once I watched a neighbor dismantled his balcony's metal bars, and called a crane to lift and carry away such a trunk. Months later, that neighbor was killed in NY. The rumor was that it was drug related....

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Oddly enough I was just meetin with my attry. in Sosua and asked about the law for stopping an intruder. Basicly, if someone comes OVER your wall, they are "fair game", but good defensive judgement is advised. Best to let them start to break in if possible. FIRST CALL should be to your attry. and let them call the police.

I live on the ocean with coral, just through them into the ocean and they will be shredded in 15 minutes. No trunk or cement needed.

I would like to get more legal information.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Never, never call the authorities, call friends for help in order to dispose of the body. Or do it yourself!

I'm in two minds about this. Word tends to get out in this country and sometimes it can look worse for the home owner if they appear to have covered up. How do you feel about second (or third/fourth !) shot using perp's own gun which is then dusted and thrown down by body? Or would that look equally contrived?

I also have a question. If you come home and 'find' ;) a body on your property, can police legally require you to appear at police station?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm in two minds about this. Word tends to get out in this country and sometimes it can look worse for the home owner if they appear to have covered up. How do you feel about second (or third/fourth !) shot using perp's own gun which is then dusted and thrown down by body? Or would that look equally contrived?

I also have a question. If you come home and 'find' ;) a body on your property, can police legally require you to appear at police station?
What is legal and what they actually do, have little to do with each other, IMHO.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What is legal and what they actually do, have little to do with each other, IMHO.

Yes that's true generally, but where we live they're a little more careful because of who the neighbours are. So requests to visit the police station tend to be verbal rather than breaking the door down & grabbing you by the scruff of the neck..........:) so you have more of an element of choice. Which is why I posed the question.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
Yup...........

there are a nbr of people here in the dr who have shot dead intruders and not one of them to my knowledge EVER had any repurcussions from the law(very ofton they see it as a FAVOUR;) )
try put it in perspective.you are faced with an intruder or two in your home.
do you think it would be wise to think,"schit",if i kill this guy before he kills me and my family i may end up having to explain it to the cops?so you have 2 options.let him kill you and your family, then there is no need to worry EVER about having to fill in a police report,(if you even have to do so as such).
or "make your day"and you and your family can live to tell the tale.
A OR B ?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Imperative you prevent entry! To this end ALWAYS keep outside doors locked/bolted. Have a VERY noisy alarm signal .... an air-horn is great, (check marine suppliers.) Robbers hate noise. Regularly Practice a few typical scenarios with an (unloaded ) gun. If no gun/TRAINING/ PRACTICE, good luck!Canadian Bob.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A true story....

Knock! Knock!

- Who?s there?

- I?ts FedEx, and we have a delivery for Mr. So-and-So
(robbers do their homework)

Mr. So-and So answers:

- Just a minute! let me unbolt the three locks on this door.

Then Mr. So-and-So opens the door, and smiling says:

Please come in! where do I sign for the package?

Suddenly two other robbers burts in through the open door, behind the robber dressed as a FexEx deliveryman, and yell:

-This is a hold up! Where?s the safe!

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Unless you expect a delivery from Fedex (or flowers), tell them to return another time & sound the alarm. But you're right, sometimes you just can't win, especially if you have a business. Get a time -delay safe, bolted to the floor so it can't be pried loose. Have a door slot for signing for packages to be left outside. Even better is a 2 door entry with electric locks. Now you're getting protected...... Canadian Bob.

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
Thanks for all the advice it is very interesting. I think that I need to be more aware that robbery can also happen in the daytime. If someone knocked on my door from Fed-ex I would open it, especially if they knew my name, good to know info like this.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I have an attached Garage patio area with a wall and steel bars with razor sharp tips..It is actually under the home itself..If they get in there without getting cut up by the steel bars then my intention is to Blast away and worry about who to call later because even though they are not actually in my house they are in my secure property area.....The local police said this is self defense 100% in the DR...No matter if they are there to rob you or harm you don't take a chance + pull out whatever you have and USE it..Do just fire a warning shot because you will be letting them know you are armed thus putting yourself at risk for immediate return fire thus making you a VICTIM..

If you are not a gun owner then at least get a marine flare pistol..
Scares the crap out of anyone even if you don't get a direct hit..

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In this case, it was not a matter of security devices, alarms, weapons, or anything like that.
The OP dozed off with the door open, and the intruders took advantage of the easy pickings.
Although it is a sad moment indeed, when not only do you get robbed, but have to go through the terror of thinking you & yours might die, or be seriously injured.
I commend the OP for keeping his kool.
It ain't easy when you're in that type of predicament.
Thank God they both survived unharmed.
That's what matters most.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
with all the talk of weapons, surely the advice needs to be, if you are not prepared to kill someone, don't own a gun in the first place. I can't remember the exact statistics or where I read them, but in the US more people are killed with their own weapon than by an intruders weapon. If you face an intruder who is armed and they see you are armed, they will also go into 'attack' mode, and you potentially lose a lot more than a few thousand pesos. Most Brits (in particular) are not used to being around guns due to our minimal 'gun culture', so simply getting hold of one and doing some target practice will not be enough when it comes to firing to kill. If you seriously think you can kill a 15 year old kid who is burgling you, fine, get the gun and do some serious training.

But if you can't be 100% sure that you can kill, get a dog and train it properly instead.

As an aside, the o/p wrote... "In England it is only acceptable to use reasonable force, this has caused some outrageous decisions against homeowners due to the definition of what is reasonable force". There have been very few "outrageous decisions". People have been [famously] jailed for shooting a fleeing intruder in the back, with a gun that he didn't own legitimately, having been banned from owning a gun previously! We have a police force that is [relatively] trustworthy, so leave the policing to them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Next-Door-Neighbor Is a General In The "Policia National"

I asked him if I should shoot,and hopefully KILL, any thief I cought on my property. He said "Definately Not!"
Problem is,as Rocky said, you will be held in jail until the "Police Investigation" is completed. Very inconvenient at least. He also said that the guy who you kill,probably has "Friends and Family" who will then be out to "GET Even" with you and your family! He said that it is better just to shoot "AT" the guy,but not actually kill or wound him. That way he will run away,not return,and even tell his friends not to "Go There!"
As others have said,"Dogs And Bars" are a "MUST" here in the DR!!! And NEVER leave your house "unguarded"! Our "Maid" does NOT have a key to open any of our doors or gates,and "NEVER WILL"!!"
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc