Verizon Network........

mrkay

Jan 14, 2005
I'm wondering if any of you can tell me which U.S. provider cell phones will work on the Verizon Network in the Dominican Republic? I know that a CDMA phone is required and I know that a Bell Mobility phone from Canada will work. What I really need to know is if a U.S. Verizon phone will work (and I can't see why not but better safe than sorry) and finally....will a Sprint CDMA phone work? I already have an unlocked GSM phone to use on the Orange Network but there's no damn Orange coverage at the RIU Bachata in Puerto Plata. Verizon works on the hotel grounds so I'm thinking of picking up a spare CDMA phone as a back up to my Orange phone. Thanks in advance!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Almost any CDMA phone that works Verizon USA will work on Codetel, the new/old name for Verizon Domicana!

Feb 7, 2007
Verizon will work in some places of Riu complex in Bahia de Maimon, Puerto Plata, but not everywhere, and probably not inside the rooms. Been there, tried that.

mrkay

Jan 14, 2005
Verizon will work in some places of Riu complex in Bahia de Maimon, Puerto Plata, but not everywhere, and probably not inside the rooms. Been there, tried that.

You're absolutely right but it will work in spots.....by the pool for sure....whereas Orange won't work at all.

mrkay

Jan 14, 2005
So has anybody ever activated a Sprint CDMA phone from the States on the Verizon / Codetel network?

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
So has anybody ever activated a Sprint CDMA phone from the States on the Verizon / Codetel network?

Yeah, about 50 of them over the last 3 years. No problems or issues whatsoever.

I have also activated more than 100 Verizon and US Cellular phones, though you usually have to pay a bit more (usually RD$$150) for the US Cellular. The Verizon and Sprint phones are activated for free where I go.

Swede - eBay is my (cell phone) friend!! ;)

mrkay

Jan 14, 2005
Yeah, about 50 of them over the last 3 years. No problems or issues whatsoever.

I have also activated more than 100 Verizon and US Cellular phones, though you usually have to pay a bit more (usually RD$$150) for the US Cellular. The Verizon and Sprint phones are activated for free where I go.

Swede - eBay is my (cell phone) friend!! ;)

That's all I needed to know......thanks. Just wasn't sure if Sprint and Verizon had the same CDMA to work. Some do differ from others. I knew that Bell phones from Canada worked and that Verizon from the States did too. Just didn't know about Sprint. My selection of phones just got that much bigger!!! Thanks again.