Robbery experience

bacha

Jan 31, 2004
freizeit.bonzgd.biz
On Sunday 03/11/2007-(Puerto Chiquito-Sosua) as my wife was sleeping in the bedroom-I decided to watch some TV. I also wanted a last cigarette so I cracked the patio door a little. I guess I fell asleep without securing the patio door. About 4 am, I felt a hand on my mouth (thought my wife was trying to wake me) and then felt what turned out to be a 12" knife in my neck. When I was able to focus-there were 3 very dark Haitians standing over me getting ready to hog tie me. Fortunately I knew to stay calm and simply asked what they wanted. Dinero, "Dinero and where is your pistol". I told them I only had 4000 pesos in the house, had no pistol and they then became very upset and started to jab me in the gut with the knives.. After which they informed me that they would rob the house to make up for the small amount of money I had on hand. I told them take anything you want and do anything they want to do to me-but please leave my sick wife alone. They then proceeded for the next two hours to ransack the entire house-EVERYTHING. At one point I heard them start up my Jepeta outside in the driveway; however they did not steal it. It probably dawn on them that there was no way they were going to open the driveway gates in a reasonable amount of time. For the entire time I did not hear anything from my wife who was also bound and gagged in the bedroom. Before they left they dragged me into another bedroom, put me flat out on the bed (at this point I though this was it); however after securing me some more, they told me to be quite and left the house. Stole 3 TV's (2 brand new, a brand new top of the line inversores (inverter for the electric), DVD player, both of our cell phones, stereo, digital camera, bunch of other little things, 6 suitcases full of my wife's and my clothes. Check all my credit cards, but bought my story that they could not be used in the DR. Fortunately my main bank card I use in the DR fell out and I was able to slip it under a sheet. They did not do a very good job of blindfolding me. A bunch of other stuff was wrapped and ready to go, but at this point they probably figured they had more then they could carry. Fortunately they did not take my house phone or computer (yet). In case of a return visit, I now have a borrowed 12 gage shotgun. The police in Sosua responded surprisingly fast, but could not find any sign of them. A 1000 pesos payoff to the night supervisor insured that a police crew returned at first light to continue the search. No results. Later today we were called down to the police station to view about 20+ Haitians the police rounded up. Could not make any positive ID's- a little hard with 3 very dark Haitians, wearing mostly dark clothes in very little light. Police are continuing the investigation and have started patrolling the area at night (Of course knowing I have a cold one in the refrigerator helps) We are both thankful to be alive- and I am sure that staying calm and not panicking helped. Just a word to the wise. Some items found in a field would indicate they headed off in the direction of Tablon (Sosua river).

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
A shocking & sobering experience. This stuff should never happen, but thieves everywhere are opportunists. The real answer is locked & well bolted doors that can not easily be kicked in. Get them properly installed deep into the concrete walls.Check the bars on all your windows. Move them inside using lead anchors & lag bolts. They can not be jacked out and will require much less maintenance as they won't rust much. If the glasses are jalousie type glass strips, glue each strip to the metal frame using a little epoxy glue. This makes it impossible to remove without noisy breakage. Thank God you & your wife were not hurt. Good luck! Canadian Bob.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Home invasion, assault and confinement such as you experienced is a life changing experience. Surround yourself with friends and let them help you heal from this horrible ordeal. Good luck.

C

Chip00

I'm glad you made through it allright - it could happen to anyone. Check the forums for safety and security upgrades to your home that would make it unlikely that you'd be a victim again.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
What a horrible experience. Fortunately, you and your wife made it through unharmed. Question; if the robbers were speaking spanish, why do you think they were hatian? is it possible that the police are looking for the wrong people?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What a horrible experience. Fortunately, you and your wife made it through unharmed. Question; if the robbers were speaking spanish, why do you think they were hatian? is it possible that the police are looking for the wrong people?
If I may, I have spoken to the OP and he's 100% sure that they are Haitian.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Bacha

Now you have a gun...Why not before.?.I am all for being armed to the max..And 110% willing to use it for the very same reason you described..Are You? Now you have a gun but will you blow somebody's guts out..If not then it is as useful as a toothpick..I am glad to hear your loss was not physical..
Get out there and vision what happened and fire off 5-10 12 ga. rounds at a tree or something..It will better prepare you to use it against someone..I don't codone violence buy I surely will not be a victim if I can help it..Many posters here that reside in the DR sleep with a loaded piece next to their bed, under their pillow,or within an arms reach...Unfortunatly you had to find out the hard way what is and what is not necessary here...Also a dog is your wake up call...Whenever I hear my dog bark I go for the gun..Especially in the middle of the nite....GET A DOG....I can't stress this enough.......

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Now you have a gun...Why not before.?.I am all for being armed to the max..And 110% willing to use it for the very same reason you described..Are You? Now you have a gun but will you blow somebody's guts out..If not then it is as useful as a toothpick..I am glad to hear your loss was not physical..
Get out there and vision what happened and fire off 5-10 12 ga. rounds at a tree or something..It will better prepare you to use it against someone..I don't codone violence buy I surely will not be a victim if I can help it..Many posters here that reside in the DR sleep with a loaded piece next to their bed, under their pillow,or within an arms reach...Unfortunatly you had to find out the hard way what is and what is not necessary here...Also a dog is your wake up call...Whenever I hear my dog bark I go for the gun..Especially in the middle of the nite....GET A DOG....I can't stress this enough.......

He woke up with a knife blade to his throat. Reaching for a gun may have gotten him killed, or armed three bad guys for their next robbery. Proper security precautions to prevent this from happening is the lesson here.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I am truly sorry to hear of this. As already stated, we are glad you made it out alive. I think it is better that you did not have a gun in the house because the ending could have been more tragic.

Owning a gun helps if you are in a position to you use it. You awoke to a knife in your face, not much you could have done.... reaching for a gun would have caused you your life.

Please stay safe.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Asaltan y dan varios balazos a ingeniero en Casa de Campo

SANTO DOMINGO.- El ingeniero Miguel Subero (hijo) fue asaltado en su villa de Casa de Campo por varios sujetos desconocidos que le llevaron su jeepeta, una suma indeterminada de dinero y le propinaron varios balazos. Subero fue lanzado a un ca?averal en la ciudad de La Romana a las cinco de la tarde de ayer, y fue encontrado por agentes policiales que lo trasladaron a la cl?nica de Medicina Avanzada Doctor Abel Gonz?lez de la avenida Abraham Lincoln.
El profesional de la ingenier?a recibi? dos disparos uno en el cuello, cuya bala todav?a no se le ha retirado y otro que le rozo la cabeza.
Su estado es estable, seg?n dijo su padre el tambi?n ingeniero Miguel Subero.
El paciente ser? operado hoy en la ma?ana para retirarle el proyectil que tiene alojado en su cuello, cercano a la vena Aorta

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Bacha, are you in one of the houses in Puerto Chiquito or in the apartments there? And is this the same instance?
Puerto Plata Digital

Very well done for not panicking, nor your wife either, particularly since you couldn't communicate with each other. Had you had a pistol yet been asleep and unable to use it first, it is just possible that handing it over might have meant it was used on you............... I think you should both be commended for keeping your cool. Maybe the perps were just 'ordinary' robbers and not drugged out of their brains? A 2 hour stint in your house would indicate that they weren't worried you would spook them. Or maybe your laid back attitude (externally!) kept them calm too?

That area has a history. I'm sure you know all about it. Thank you for telling us. And if you are staying there, please get a dog.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Could Have been a Lot Worse!

The Italian Owner Of The "Costa Lunga Hotel" in Boca Chica was shot and killed a couple of days ago by some guys fleeing a robbery as the wanted his motorcycle!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
He woke up with a knife blade to his throat. Reaching for a gun may have gotten him killed, or armed three bad guys for their next robbery. Proper security precautions to prevent this from happening is the lesson here.
Ditto .

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
Perhaps Im just on a cyclical DR "down", but I cant imagine staying in the country after being hog-tied and dragged to a bedroom, thinking you were to be murdered.

It's a beautiful country with wonderful people. But I wouldnt blame you if you got the heck out. Who wants to sleep with a loaded gun in their bed?

Maybe we should all get out. ............Or is it just one of those days? :ermm:

Anyway, glad you and the wife are okay.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002

SANTO DOMINGO.- El ingeniero Miguel Subero (hijo) fue asaltado en su villa de Casa de Campo por varios sujetos desconocidos que le llevaron su jeepeta, una suma indeterminada de dinero y le propinaron varios balazos. Subero fue lanzado a un ca?averal en la ciudad de La Romana a las cinco de la tarde de ayer, y fue encontrado por agentes policiales que lo trasladaron a la cl?nica de Medicina Avanzada Doctor Abel Gonz?lez de la avenida Abraham Lincoln.
El profesional de la ingenier?a recibi? dos disparos uno en el cuello, cuya bala todav?a no se le ha retirado y otro que le rozo la cabeza.
Su estado es estable, seg?n dijo su padre el tambi?n ingeniero Miguel Subero.
El paciente ser? operado hoy en la ma?ana para retirarle el proyectil que tiene alojado en su cuello, cercano a la vena Aorta
Wow, Casa de Campo. Maybe this will finally get Leonel's attention that something needs to be done.

C

Chip00

Perhaps Im just on a cyclical DR "down", but I cant imagine staying in the country after being hog-tied and dragged to a bedroom, thinking you were to be murdered.

It's a beautiful country with wonderful people. But I wouldnt blame you if you got the heck out. Who wants to sleep with a loaded gun in their bed?

Maybe we should all get out. ............Or is it just one of those days? :ermm:

One might think that too but then I remember we lived in an exclusive area in Orlando(Metrowest) and they had home invasions - what's the difference? Not only that there was a spate of child kidnappings too - I used to go to bed many a night there worrying about somebody coming to take my kids. I still worry a little here but we have bars all a round and what some might consider a dog. Of course I will be getting a shotgun by the summer and then I will be sleeping very well.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

It's one of those days.

Look, not long ago an elderly woman (in fact, 101 years old) was mugged in NYC. I don't think that either the victim or neighbors in the building where this occured are thinking of moving out of NYC because of that. What they will most likely do is be more careful, because despite the NYC police being relatively well funded and with little corruption; they could not stop this mugging from occuring.

However, the second lady (85) he mugged later that day does want to move out of her apartment according to the report, but nothing has been said about her wanting to move out of NYC.

Here is the link (scroll down a little and on the left side of the window you will see several videos of the occurence):

Hard-bitten New Yorkers want mugger's head

-NALs

Last edited:

Jennifer

Jul 9, 2002
Much sympathy also from me...my sister and I were robbed twice at the last place we lived, once we were out and once we were home asleep. We never awoke and were never tied up or threatened but it certainly leaves a bad taste. We focussed on the fact that we weren't harmed and everything that was removed was replaceable.
Then we moved.
Why didn't we move the first time?
Although there were no bars and the landlord was unwilling to put them on they offered to put those little rods in the middle of the windows and in fact put all but one(they ran out during installation and never came back to finish the job). and we felt safer but the thieves found the missing one and came in that way.