Cruising from the DR...

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Hello all....Does anyone know about any cruises that leave from the DR to go anywhere in the Caribbean? If so, what operating company are they with? Where do they go? And what is the cost(approx)? Does anyone know if there are any last minute specials?

If you have an experience or advice, I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance :bunny:

kcl060

Dec 10, 2006
I don't know of any cruises from DR. When I checked out Carnival, the closest port the leave from is PR. Just in case youre interested, if you're going to go island hopping, it's waay better costwise to just buy a multi-destination ticket that includes your departure from the US as opposed to buying tickets straight out of DR. DR flights are expensive. For example, a flight from Richmond, VA to PR is about half that of one from DR to PR.

Random piece of advice: If you plan to go to the island of Dominica, make sure you make your multi-destination connect in PR on the way TO Dominica (for no reason besides to lower the price). You can do the connection for the same day as your arrival in Dominica if you don't actually want to be in Puerto Rico or not, if you want to stay in PR. You'll save about $300 this way. The ferry to PR is way too long and expensive, but cheaper than a round trip (as opposed to multi-destination) from DR. Expedia has been great as far as prices on multi-destination trips.
Below is more info about Dominica if you're interested.
Suba diving, whale watching, snorkelling, Cabrits Dive Centre, East Carib Dive, Anchorage, Dive Dominica, Nature Island Dive, Nature Island Destinations, Commonwealth of Dominica, West Indies - accommodation island-wide, vehicle hire, bird watching, and NationMaster - Dominican Crime statistics
Frequently Asked Questions about Dominica and it's Real Estate, land and property opportunities

The virgin islands is one of the more expensive locations as far as cost of the flight if you add it to a multi-destination set-up.

Hope this helped and I hope the random blurb on Dominica will be useful. I'm going to try to go there after I go to DR. P.S. the hotel most people stay at in Dominica is Fort Young Hotel. Check out their weekend specials and be sure to be careful about Hurricane season. Good luck!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
One of the major lines... Carnival/RCCL/Norweigen, etc.(I don't remember which one) has announced that they will home port a ship in Santo Domingo for next year's winter season. This means the cruises will begin and end in SD.

paradise07

Jan 6, 2007
Still searching...

Most of them ar winter cruises...from Santo Domingo....I was looking for a Spring one in April or May.....

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
So what happens if you are Dominican? Do you need a visa for every island you are visiting? I'd love to go on a cruise with my husband who is Dominican but thought it would take too long to get visas for all the different islands?

Matilda

lunar

Jun 14, 2006
Hello,

I?m not sure if you?ll be able to make reservations from your place of residence or through the web, but pullmantur cruises (a spanish run company) does cruises from La Romana. Here is their web page: PULLMANTUR CRUISES