12% of Dominicans have been victims of crime

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am not a person who enjoys speculation of any kind, particularly when it has to do with touchy subjects such as crime. However, I am more inclined to believe concrete studies, polls, and other reliable data which shows the reality of any given situation without the added emotional suspense that speculation often brings into the equation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on data collected by CIES/Universidad Iberoam?ricana (Unibe) in 2005, the following is true regarding crime and the Dominican population and the perception for why crime exist in the DR:

10% of Dominicans have been victims of crime and 20% say that an acquaintance has been a victim of crime.

Divided along socio-economic status, the following is true of victims of crime:

Upper 11.9% Middle 17.3% Lower 11.0%

Out of the total sample populatio, 12.2% have been victims of crime.

All socio-economic group members feel crime has increased.

Almost a third blame drug addiction and over a quarter blame the economic situation.

14.6% blame police inefficiency and 14.5% blame the justice system.

Technicalities of the report (PDF)

Document about crime (PDF)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think its important to note that crime rates have actually declined in the DR from 2005 to today, however this report will give people a more general and more accurate idea of the situation vs. speculation which could exaggerate either positively or negatively the actual situation and thus, leads people to make rational decisions based on misinformation.

-NALs

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Interesting but pretty vague statistics no? It would be more helpful if it was broken down by types of crime. Robbery, Muggings, Murder, Rape...demgoraphics such as age, city, etc.

it would also be interesting to see how these stats match up to other carib and latam countries as well as US and major european countries.

Myself (in uS) i have been mugged three times (twice in boston, once in nyc). My apt has been broken into and robbed 7 times (i finaly got some good security gates...and they got rid of the super and his son..the son was the culprit).

I was molested by a mentor as a kid. and when i still lived in the burbs i was bashed a couple of time just for being me.

Oh...and i had a car stolen...and in one neighborhood i lived in my car was broken into nearly every night (i ended up just leaving the window down and the doors open.).

In seven years of travel to the DR...my two incidents with crime has been having to bribe AMAT 300 pesos after being pulled over...and last week i was pickpocketed of 500 pesos.

So to NALS...with all respect....is there some way to break those number down a bit for us?

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
That is really interesting statistics. The latest crime statistics I can find for the UK are 2004/5.

"Nationally, the risk of being a victim of crime is now 23%, the lowest since the BCS began in 1981. However, risks are not evenly distributed across the population.

"Young men aged 16-24 were most at risk of becoming victims of violent crime with 12.6% experiencing a violent crime in the previous year..."

These are the UK Government's Home Office statistics.
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/crimeew0405.html

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
crimestatistics up to march 2006 england +wales

That is really interesting statistics. The latest crime statistics I can find for the UK are 2004/5.

"Nationally, the risk of being a victim of crime is now 23%, the lowest since the BCS began in 1981. However, risks are not evenly distributed across the population.

"Young men aged 16-24 were most at risk of becoming victims of violent crime with 12.6% experiencing a violent crime in the previous year..."

These are the UK Government's Home Office statistics.
rds crime in england and wales 2004-2005

Crime Statistics for England and Wales :bunny: The statistics cover the 12-month period to 31 March 2006, and are updated annually

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
oh..btw..i wasnt trying to make light of the stats nals...i do know that crime is a big prob in DR. Just seeing if you or anyone has more precise stats.

thanks

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Canada

Interesting but pretty vague statistics no? It would be more helpful if it was broken down by types of crime. Robbery, Muggings, Murder, Rape...demgoraphics such as age, city, etc.

it would also be interesting to see how these stats match up to other carib and latam countries as well as US and major european countries.

Myself (in uS) i have been mugged three times (twice in boston, once in nyc). My apt has been broken into and robbed 7 times (i finaly got some good security gates...and they got rid of the super and his son..the son was the culprit).

I was molested by a mentor as a kid. and when i still lived in the burbs i was bashed a couple of time just for being me.

Oh...and i had a car stolen...and in one neighborhood i lived in my car was broken into nearly every night (i ended up just leaving the window down and the doors open.).

In seven years of travel to the DR...my two incidents with crime has been having to bribe AMAT 300 pesos after being pulled over...and last week i was pickpocketed of 500 pesos.

So to NALS...with all respect....is there some way to break those number down a bit for us?

Firstly, sorry to hear of the shyte you have been through in past years, secondly, I am so lucky to live in Canada and after reading this post, I think about it more and more. I guess that's why Canada has the most impressive record as far as the best country to live in over the last 25 years than any other country in the world as far United Nations goes!
Thanks, Canada!
Steve

incredible

Jul 9, 2006

In seven years of travel to the DR...my two incidents with crime has been having to bribe AMAT 300 pesos after being pulled over...and last week i was pickpocketed of 500 pesos

Dude what ghettos did you live in that you got robbed ike that... man you have bad luck...I hope your luck changes...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
thanks folks

Indeed...my luck has seemed to have changed over the years lol.

i used to live in a VERY tough neighborhood in boston (meeting house hill in dorchester).

We had a problem in my current building when the supers son got hooked on drugs (can happen anywhere) and started hitting the apts. The landlord finaly got rid of them....and so far so good.

Intesting tho. The incidents i meantioned...not only happened in rough hoods...but also in the burbs (car theft).

funny...of all the places i have lived...i feel safest in nyc

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
Firstly, sorry to hear of the shyte you have been through in past years, secondly, I am so lucky to live in Canada and after reading this post, I think about it more and more. I guess that's why Canada has the most impressive record as far as the best country to live in over the last 25 years than any other country in the world as far United Nations goes!
Thanks, Canada!
Steve

Yes, believe it or not, we still leave the doors unlocked when we go out. The garages had never been locked, actually. Some parts of Toronto are becoming, though, very dangerous, it depends on the population's ethnicity. The most dangerous is Jane/Finch area, where the South Americans (Jamaica, Chile, Argentina, etc. ) live. From what I've read on this forum, in DR the foreigners are definitely a target for thieves. Too bad.

C

Chip00

Thanks, Canada!
Steve

Yes - but remember it is cooold in Canada and it is warm here!

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Cooooold!

Yes - but remember it is cooold in Canada and it is warm here!
Chip, true that it is cold herein the winter but many people outside of Canada, incorrectly think it's just cold pretty much most of the time. In Toronto (GTA), our summers are as hot as the Dominican is from Sept to March.
Winters are just too long here, so, the ideal thing is to have a Dominican villa, so you can spend a chunk of the winter in the nice weather!
Canada & Dominican Republic = a nice combination, I think!
Steve