What stores, services, restaurants do you miss the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
For those that live in or visit the North Coast, what stores, restaurants and services do you miss the most and wish were available here on the North Coast? These could be Dominican or foreign businesses...

C

Chip00

For those that live in or visit the North Coast, what stores, restaurants and services do you miss the most and wish were available here on the North Coast? These could be Dominican or foreign businesses...

This sounds like Market Research! Great - only thing is that I live in Santiago.

Oh well, nonetheless I would like to see a real deli sub shop(not anywhere they put ketchup on a sandwhich!), an affordable fish camp, real NY pizza restaurant w/lasagna too, a Greek Restaurant, a venue for classical music, roads w/o potholes, honest politicians, constitent luz, drinkable tap water.....:cheeky:

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
A Sears or JC Penney and all the mall shops that go with them! Heck, even a "la Sirena" type store closer to Puerto Plata would be welcome.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
lol

This sounds like Market Research! Great - only thing is that I live in Santiago.

Oh well, nonetheless I would like to see a real deli sub shop(not anywhere they put ketchup on a sandwhich!), an affordable fish camp, real NY pizza restaurant w/lasagna too, a Greek Restaurant, a venue for classical music, roads w/o potholes, honest politicians, constitent luz, drinkable tap water.....:cheeky:

I think some of your requests can/will probably get accomplished at sometime,( deli, pizza greek rest. classical music), but the roads w/o potholes, HONEST POLITICIANS and drinkable tap water !!! I live in Canada and we don't even have that . I know I keep dreaming too. lol ;)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thanks for all the suggestions...Pleas - keep them coming! ...and yes this is sort of market research...

Chip... we finally have a road without potholes... pretty much from POP all the way past the center of Cabarete...as for the honest politicians, drinkable tap water and the luz issue...well...don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon...although there is talk of a new power substation for Cabarete with no scheduled "off" hours ;)

So far of the list, I think I miss "real" subs and NY style pizza the most. And Id love to see a Walmart-type store. A Barnes and Noble type store would be nice, and I do think it's about time we got a decent size (La Sirena/Nacional) Supermercado around here.

As for the greek restaurant... There is/was one called Cariatides across from Costa Dorada? I don't know if it's still there or any good though...

I did hear that there is an excellent Indian restaurant in the hills just outside of Cabarete called Blue Moon...haven't tried it yet, but heard it was great...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cariatides has a Greek name but the food is more Italian oriented. Good restaurant though.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
None

I don't want to see any of them. If I want to see that stuff I fly 1.5 hours to Miami and voi la! Inevitably there will be chains and franchises on the n. coast in abundance.....hopefully I'll be deep sixed by then and won't care.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I would like La Sirena on the north coast and somewhere that makes a drink similar to a frapuccino! Oh and please a bookstore like a Chapters. I miss browsing a book store for hours and buying a book or two every week.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
La Sirena and Ochoa on the North Coast would be great. But what I would love to see is a Home Depot! Ahhh.....Home Depot! Ohhh.....and a Tim Horton's, por favor ;)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How about a state-of-the-art digital recording studio rentable by the hour?

tambo'

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I don't want to see any of them. If I want to see that stuff I fly 1.5 hours to Miami and voi la! Inevitably there will be chains and franchises on the n. coast in abundance.....hopefully I'll be deep sixed by then and won't care.

There aren't any Dominican Businesses or Restaurants, from say, Santiago or SD you'd like to see on the North Coast?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I miss the large variety of ethnic restaurants you find in places like Boston. In cities where there are large ethnic communities these restaurants have to have good food reasonably priced to survive.

The ethnic communities here aren't large enough to support multiple competitive restaurants.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
What about falafel and schwarma? There's a guy in SD with 2 restaurants... El Rey de Falafel.. Ive been to the one in the Zona Colonial...it was greta...and very reasonable...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
What about falafel and schwarma? There's a guy in SD with 2 restaurants... El Rey de Falafel.. Ive been to the one in the Zona Colonial...it was greta...and very reasonable...

I've been to that one too. Great place.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
El Rey de Falafel has incredible HOT SAUCE!!!! WOW!! I understand you can even buy it to take home!!! It gives me the hiccups.

Status
Not open for further replies.