Playa Jaun Dolio nice inexpensive resturants??

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
Hi all I have been traveling to Dominican on business 2 weeks on 2 weeks off for about 5 months. This trip I wanted to take an employee and there big family out to lunch at the beach. Can anyone suggest a nice place that wont break my budget?? Thanks all. Kimmi

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
el Pescador has gotten expensive this year Matilda.......
Grotta Azzura is where most of the Dominicans go.
Also Bar Cacique has some good stuff on hand......
or do the really Dominican thing and have fried fish with tostones in the open air at Don Pedro's! Right on the beach and very casual indeed....no need to wear anything other than a bathing suit and cover up and you can sit at tables right on the beach.....

Kimmir

Mar 7, 2007
OH Wow thanks for the information!! Grotta Azzura is where most of the Dominicans go.Also Bar Cacique are these part of or close to any hotels? Just so I can figure out the location.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
They are all next to the public beach in Juan Dolio.....just turn right at the first "Playa Juan Dolio" sign coming from Santo Domingo (second sign -turn left-if you are coming from San Pedro) then turn left on the beach road.
They are all within one block on the left (beach side) of the street.
Also at Plaza Oasis there is a Wine Bar/Grill that does great food (a little more pricey but still reasonable) and Cafe Oasis that does pizza and pasta at a very good price (the pizza is one of the best on the island!!)

cecilia

Mar 14, 2007
yeah there is also another italian restaurant on the main street of old juan dolio they have pizza and other dominican food the prices are not bad at all
i was just there not too long ago..im but i dont remember the name

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
That would be Lucas' probably or maybe El Sueno.....however.......I think the OP would be better served with those already mentioned.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
food glorious food........

Hi all I have been traveling to Dominican on business 2 weeks on 2 weeks off for about 5 months. This trip I wanted to take an employee and there big family out to lunch at the beach. Can anyone suggest a nice place that wont break my budget?? Thanks all. Kimmi
OK,ALLRIGHT,ALLREADY!
i know you said ""on""the beach and the places that have been mentioned are pretty cool.
THOUGH,for really good,quality food and a varied menu at keen prices,julias cafe in front of what was playa real is a great place to eat.its not ""on""the beach but you can c the c from their terrace.
julias 1/2 welsh 1/2 italiana and her cooking from sandwiches to snacks to FULL meals,fish,steaks,meatballs etc are second to none.so after you have done the beach rest,maybe you could/should try there.
mon nights they have a live dominican band,and day or night its a genuinely great hang out for a beer and a chat with both dominicans and ex-pats.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with manunut about Guilla's. Guilla's IS the Juan Dolio experience! They have a good breakfast too. Next to Guilla's is Plaza Real which also has good Italian food.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Guilia's is also one of the most expensive places in Juan Dolio for casual 'snacks' and meals because she caters to tourists (mainly British and Americans).
La Cucina della Mama at Plaza Real has very good Italian food at reasonable prices (I've mentioned it several times on several different threads) however it is not what the OP was asking for.....we took Dominican friends there a couple of weeks ago and they had no idea what to order as they hadn't a clue about Italian/European food and one of them who didn't like pasta or fish was not impressed at all with the meat dish he ordered even tho' we have had it and appreciated the subtleties of the dish.
Inexpensive, on the beach, with Dominican tastes in mind, stick with those mentioned earlier......IMHO.