Volunteer opportunities?

Hails

Mar 15, 2007
Hi,
I am living here in DR with friends for 3 months and am interested in finding out if there are any opportunities for voluntary work in the local community - perhaps helping out in a local Dominican school? I am working in an international school here too, supply teaching, but it would be great in the short time i am here to do some volunteer work as well. I am living near Sosua and Caberette so if anyone knows of any work in these areas or nearby please let me know. Thanks, Hails.

Last edited:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
We are looking for an english teacher to work for an hour a morning in a small school in Los Charimicos (just the other side of Sosua Beach).
There are now over 40 children and we have two teachers and two other volunteers helping.

Send me a pm if you would like to know more.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We are looking for an english teacher to work for an hour a morning in a small school in Los Charimicos (just the other side of Sosua Beach).
There are now over 40 children and we have two teachers and two other volunteers helping.

Could you tell us a little more please?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There's Crossroads in Sosua run by Jana Amelingmeier. It's located near Sosua. Home is the site and her email is crossroadsdr@yahoo.com I volunteered there for 2 weeks and it was a good experience.

That's Dr. Bob's wife. They do some great medical missions into the bateys with people who would otherwise not receive medical help.

Hails, not sure if you'll be here long enough to do a full summer session with Dream Project but there is info here
DREAM Project: Dominican Republic Education and Mentoring Project

Also see Integracion Juvenil in Puerto Plata
Integraci?n Juvenil

Gracias

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
The school is for the Haitian families that are here without papers and hence not able to send their children to public school.
We also have two ladies from France that are living here that are teaching French, we serve a meal a day to the children, and the grades are from 1-5 with ages of 3 (daycare age I guess) to 12.

It is based in the church that we support and we have school supplies, medicine, and offer some clothing as well to the children.

Here is a link to my photos: http://www.pbase.com/jamesfriesen

I need to edit some of the older galleries and reload them but this should give you an idea.

We have a board in Canada overseeing the project. I come here quite often to assist as well and we are able to issue tax receipts via the church (Canada only).

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
jfr, thank you for posting and sharing. With the help of Chris, thank you, I looked at your sight. I hope to drop by soon. Best of luck.

Hails

Mar 15, 2007

Hi there,
Thanks for your note re: work in Los Charimicos, i would be quite interested to find out more about this. Would this be working for an hour each morning each day?

About me - i have been working in England as a teaching assistant for 11 months as well as having worked for 2 years volunteering as a weekend support worker to children with learning and behaviour needs and physical disabilities. I am here for 3 months and working at an international school supply teaching on an ad hoc basis.

Thanks,

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hi Hails,

The school runs from 8:30 am to 12:30 with half an hour for lunch.

Even a 30 or 45 minute time frame would be great and since it is needed by all ages you/whomever would teach the whole group or do to sessions.

We are not a formally recognized school but have been operating for two years now. Any help is always appreciated and we can see what is best for the children and the schedule.

We have noticed such a huge change in their behaviour since we started the school but am sure that some of the children - based on their situations and surroundings may need some extra guidance as well.

We will be starting a music program soon as well with a choir and hopefully a piano.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi Hails,

The school runs from 8:30 am to 12:30 with half an hour for lunch.

Even a 30 or 45 minute time frame would be great and since it is needed by all ages you/whomever would teach the whole group or do to sessions.

We are not a formally recognized school but have been operating for two years now. Any help is always appreciated and we can see what is best for the children and the schedule.

We have noticed such a huge change in their behaviour since we started the school but am sure that some of the children - based on their situations and surroundings may need some extra guidance as well.

We will be starting a music program soon as well with a choir and hopefully a piano.

I have a piano. I need someone to play it. Not me.. I only play at it.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ringo - not sure if that's great or sad :)[/QUOTE

May be great fun for many. PM me as to day and time to bring your player and chior to the piano, how many to expect. NO others please. I'lll be glad to provide directions in a return PM.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
You have refrescos too? Ain't doin nothin without the grammer teacher either.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You have refrescos too? Ain't doin nothin without the grammer teacher either.

PUSH... PUSH... PUSH. Why the hell do I do these things. Let start at first things first:

1. I have a piano.
2. The piano, an old lady, still works well and can belt out.
3. NO>>> the grammer teacher, parents, janitor, taxi driver, motoconcho, hi-muck-a-muck is not invited.
4. Depending on your PM, maybe a coke and a swim in the pool.

But only if I like it.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
If you are offering a piano for us to use then that is fabulous.
It would need to be at the school.
Guess I was misunderstanding your replies.