Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Volunteer opportunities?

Hi,
    I am living here in DR with friends for 3 months and am interested in finding out if there are any opportunities for voluntary work in the local community - perhaps helping out in a local Dominican school? I am working in an international school here too, supply teaching, but it would be great in the short time i am here to do some volunteer work as well. I am living near Sosua and Caberette so if anyone knows of any work in these areas or nearby please let me know. Thanks, Hails.
    Last edited by Hails; 03-17-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

There's Crossroads in Sosua run by Jana Amelingmeier. It's located near Sosua. Home is the site and her email is [email protected] I volunteered there for 2 weeks and it was a good experience.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We are looking for an english teacher to work for an hour a morning in a small school in Los Charimicos (just the other side of Sosua Beach).
    There are now over 40 children and we have two teachers and two other volunteers helping.

Send me a pm if you would like to know more.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrf View Post
    We are looking for an english teacher to work for an hour a morning in a small school in Los Charimicos (just the other side of Sosua Beach).
    There are now over 40 children and we have two teachers and two other volunteers helping.

Send me a pm if you would like to know more.
    Could you tell us a little more please?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Could you tell us a little more please?
    Ringo, jrf asked to send a pm if you want more information.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ringo, jrf asked to send a pm if you want more information.
    Sorry. I'm not interested in a job. I am interested in learning about education projects.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Go and do a search on school in los charimicos - there is information on the board. Here is one result http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-que...harimicos.html

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tk toronto View Post
    There's Crossroads in Sosua run by Jana Amelingmeier. It's located near Sosua. Home is the site and her email is [email protected] I volunteered there for 2 weeks and it was a good experience.
    That's Dr. Bob's wife. They do some great medical missions into the bateys with people who would otherwise not receive medical help.

Hails, not sure if you'll be here long enough to do a full summer session with Dream Project but there is info here
    DREAM Project: Dominican Republic Education and Mentoring Project

Also see Integracion Juvenil in Puerto Plata
    Integración Juvenil

Gracias

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The school is for the Haitian families that are here without papers and hence not able to send their children to public school.
    We also have two ladies from France that are living here that are teaching French, we serve a meal a day to the children, and the grades are from 1-5 with ages of 3 (daycare age I guess) to 12.

It is based in the church that we support and we have school supplies, medicine, and offer some clothing as well to the children.

Here is a link to my photos: http://www.pbase.com/jamesfriesen

I need to edit some of the older galleries and reload them but this should give you an idea.

We have a board in Canada overseeing the project. I come here quite often to assist as well and we are able to issue tax receipts via the church (Canada only).

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

jfr, thank you for posting and sharing. With the help of Chris, thank you, I looked at your sight. I hope to drop by soon. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast