Satellite Adjustment?

Crane

Apr 2, 2006
I have an fta Pnsat 2700A satellite receiver, and I have a question concerning the fine tuning of it. In the early morning some of my channels on 8.10 come in clear and there are others that barely come in and ones that do not come in at all. I have tried everything I can with my remote control to fix the problem. If I am missing something I would greatly appreciate anyones help.

Crane

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Signal Strength Meter

I had the same problem. I bought a signal strength meter, and adjusted my dish to get the strongest signal. (DISH, by the way)
Now it works fine, unless it's raining.
The meter is only about 20 bucks.

Jd,
I don't understand why you would need a signal strength meter, when the receiver has in the guide, both the signal strength and the quality on the right side of the screen, right beside each other. In my experience, you need 2 people on different telephones, one outside adjusting the dish, and the other inside, telling the outside adjuster, better or worse.
Steve

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Satellite Adjusting

I'm used to doing things myself.

Not only that, but when you're on the roof, looking at the meter while you move the antenna, you find it's peak strength much faster than when you're telling someone, "no, wait, go back, no wait,that's good, no, you went to far, no no. you just had it." etc, etc. The cause & effect is immediate.

And yes, you don't need a meter. Why, the guy that installed my system took my box and a television up on the roof, and did it. However, he either didn't tighten the bolts enough, or the dish moved while he was tightening it down, or he just plain assumed that 65% signal was enough.

In other words, he didn't try to get the best signal, he fiddled with it until he got an "acceptable" signal. Forget the fact he could have played more and got a 75% signal, like I did...using the correct meter..... on the roof..

Jd
You just give the easier job to your wife. She gets to tell what to do with a smile on her face, while you deal with the Dominican sun beating down on you.
Heck, you should be used to having your wife telling you what to do and when and how, by now!
He he
Steve

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I feel your pain

I've had DirectTV since October 2006 and over the past 3 months several of the stations have disappeared.
Among others ESPN Classic, YES, NESN ..... (I do like sports).
Others have started to come in broken: Gol, BBC America, Discovery health.....
Some I've never had, like Fox Soccer Channel, Golf Channel, Comedy Central, Food Network, Travel Network......

The signal meter in the receivers menu never goes higher than 87 out of 100. I don't know if that was always the case, I didn't check before the channels started disappearing.

I called the company but they haven't been able to come up with an understandable explanation for the missing channels. Some I should be able to pick up if I invest in a bigger dish but it doesn't answer why channels I had suddenly are missing.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I've had DirectTV since October 2006 and over the past 3 months several of the stations have disappeared........

My understanding is that DirecTV did a satellite signal transmission re-alignment (changed the footprint) about 3 months or so ago. The signal no longer is available in the Dominican Republic from the 101 Satellite on a 6 foot dish.

Don SantiagoDR

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Not So.......

Well, not exactly .............

My understanding is that DirecTV did a satellite signal transmission re-alignment (changed the footprint) about 3 months or so ago. The signal no longer is available in the Dominican Republic from the 101 Satellite on a 6 foot dish.

We have Direct TV and still get all the channels except for Fox News which we used to get all the time..............They moved that station from an odd transponder to an even transponder and for some reason we are having trouble with that one..........We are having a "newer" box brought in since we have a very old one. We just moved the dish from atop the watchman's house to the roof of the main house last week, repositioned it, aimed at 101 and get excellent reception......... Some of our transponders are in the high 90's and others are as low as 60, but still work fine.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Here is a bit of technical explanation:

Every satellite has a main carrier-signal, this is the signal mostly used for alignment on satfinders.
And is for finding the satellite ONLY, has nothing to do with the programming, reception of channels etc, just a beacon for the footprint.
Most satellites carry more than just the tv channels that you want.

BUT

NOTHING about the used transponders and their directions.
A transponder is nothing more than somebody with a big (adjustable) flashlight, who sits on the satellite.
A transponder has its own frequency, in the better (digital) satfinders you can choose them, Dishnetworks has this option too in their receivers, i have no idea about DTV equipment.

Now is the trick to get the right transponder in the view of your dish, for DTV on the northcoast a 1.80m dish can give acceptable solutions, on the south a 2.40 meter is just the start.
For DISHnet 1.80m for 119deg and 1.20m for 110deg are good sizes if they are dominican made.
An original 1.20 Prodelin or Andrew will do the job for both, but a dual LNB still does NOT work correctly.

You never know in what direction the beam(flslightspot) of a transponder is, and a transponder hold several channels.
The more transponders you can receive, the more channels you have, so playing a bit with the dish(es) is not a bad idea

For DTV to move the dish a little outside the main carrier can change the amount of transponders you can receive.

The next part is, that your supscription is located somewhere, and that means that your card only will accept signals from transponders , specially for that area.

Furthermore, it is very unwise to tell DTV or DISH that your receiver is outside the USA (and thus illigal).
That is a breach of the contract you made and they are allowed to block your account, sue you and send you a nice $$$ bill.
Telling that you moved to Miami/NY is good (most miami TP's reach the DR), to PR is bad, you will get the Spanish blockouts immediately and reduced access to english transponders..

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
For Crane

It?s difficult to answer your question without further information. You mention a dual LNB. The only use a dual has is to send a feed to two separate receivers or to a switch box if you have more than 2.

If your intentions are to receive signals from both echo 7 (119 degrees) and 8/10 (110 degrees) with one dish, you need to install a special bracket with 2 separate LNB?s offset from each other. Aim your dish at 110 degrees and you will be able to pick up echo 7 at 119 degrees. Not as reliable as 2 separate dishes but OK I guess.

As for programming, echo 7 has the most stations, around 250 and echo8/10 around 50 including certain Spanish channels. Echo Star also transmit on several others satellites. Echo9 has a great selection of Internationals including, German, Portuguese, Arab etc. and Echo 5 a good selection of HDTV with strong signal.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Metric Like Canada, eh?

Can someone provide me with some suppliers of just the 4 to 6 meter sized dishes made here in the DR? Anybody making these in Santiago since I am on the North Coast? Thanks

Shiver me timbers!! Mike gets excited thinking he's all Canadian with his fancy metric sizes, but he really means good 'ole American feet when it comes to the 4 to 6 ft sized dishes.
Steve

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
I have an fta Pnsat 2700A satellite receiver, and I have a question concerning the fine tuning of it. In the early morning some of my channels on 8.10 come in clear and there are others that barely come in and ones that do not come in at all. I have tried everything I can with my remote control to fix the problem. If I am missing something I would greatly appreciate anyones help.

Crane
i had a new dish and a reciever and a lnb but :bunny: it was the cable ? do you have any joins in the cable ?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Can someone provide me with some suppliers of just the 4 to 6 meter sized dishes made here in the DR? Anybody making these in Santiago since I am on the North Coast? Thanks

If you take the major highway from Santiago to Santo Domingo, about 5 miles or so outside of Santiago is a business that makes dishes. They will be on your right ... blue building with dishes on the roof and dishes outside. (4 to 6 foot dishes). Unfortunately I don't know the name.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If you take the major highway from Santiago to Santo Domingo, about 5 miles or so outside of Santiago is a business that makes dishes. They will be on your right ... blue building with dishes on the roof and dishes outside. (4 to 6 foot dishes). Unfortunately I don't know the name.

Not sure of the spelling Chris, but if you mean "coqui", they have been out of business for years. Unless, they have re-openned. The dishes are there, but no business to support the samples. I tried there a couple years or so ago.

I bought mine from a guy in La Vega, he delivered them, I did the installation myself.

If needed, PM me for the name and phone number. I don't want to have the mods censor me for giving out business names and numbers. These are the Dominican made ones, I have two of them.

Don
SantiagoDR

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Some years ago we went there to look at the quality of Dominican dishes. They were still up and going then, but I must admit, I cannot talk for the last few years.

Feel free to give us the name and contact for the fellow in La Vega.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Anybody out there with an answer why some channels suddenly disappear from DirecTV?

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
La Vega Dishes

Not sure of the spelling Chris, but if you mean "coqui", they have been out of business for years. Unless, they have re-openned. The dishes are there, but no business to support the samples. I tried there a couple years or so ago.

I bought mine from a guy in La Vega, he delivered them, I did the installation myself.

If needed, PM me for the name and phone number. I don't want to have the mods censor me for giving out business names and numbers. These are the Dominican made ones, I have two of them.

Don
SantiagoDR
O.k, we have the green light as to posting the La Vega contact #'s. They usually only start the beheading when you start posting about real estate rentals, or selling because they have a section that covers it now.
If they had a section for 4 to 6 ft satellite dishes for sale here in the DR1 and you started posting about such things, your head would certainly come off!
Must be careful!
Steve

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Some years ago we went there to look at the quality of Dominican dishes. They were still up and going then, but I must admit, I cannot talk for the last few years.

Feel free to give us the name and contact for the fellow in La Vega.

The guy's name is Tito.

His cell phone number is 809-758-5864. We bought two 6 footers from him.

Don SantiagoDR

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
O.k, we have the green light as to posting the La Vega contact #'s. They usually only start the beheading when you start posting about real estate rentals, or selling because they have a section that covers it now.
If they had a section for 4 to 6 ft satellite dishes for sale here in the DR1 and you started posting about such things, your head would certainly come off!
Must be careful!
Steve

I'm going to go off-topic for just a minute to respond to this post. A reference to a business is not spam. Telling the rest of us where to find something that you do not profit from, (or your friend does not profit from) is not spam.

Sneakily advertising anything is spam and you will be deleted - real estate, washing machines, toothbrushes or whatever. But if I ask where to buy a specific toothbrush, or had a good experience with a toothbrush vendor and tell about it, it is not spam.

Rest easy if you don't get it at first, Steve Costa Azul, the mods do understand the difference. ;)

Back on topic! Satellite dishes, big ones ... 4 to 6 meter ones :laugh:

I should have chosen my user name as Satellite Chris - btw, this is not spam, it is a joke!

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Pulling Your Chain

I'm going to go off-topic for just a minute to respond to this post. A reference to a business is not spam. Telling the rest of us where to find something that you do not profit from, (or your friend does not profit from) is not spam.

Sneakily advertising anything is spam and you will be deleted - real estate, washing machines, toothbrushes or whatever. But if I ask where to buy a specific toothbrush, or had a good experience with a toothbrush vendor and tell about it, it is not spam.

Rest easy if you don't get it at first, Steve Costa Azul, the mods do understand the difference. ;)

Back on topic! Satellite dishes, big ones ... 4 to 6 meter ones :laugh:

I should have chosen my user name as Satellite Chris - btw, this is not spam, it is a joke!

C'mon, you know i'm just pulling your chain! The first time it happened, I truly didn't think I was doing anything wrong and Robert came crashing down on me! I had no idea who he was and said to him "Who are you tell me what I can and cannot do on this site?" He then informed me that he owned it and I was spamming (verb). Water under the bridge now, all in good fun!
Steve

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Dishes

The guy's name is Tito.

His cell phone number is 809-758-5864. We bought two 6 footers from him.

Don SantiagoDR

Hey Don, two things. Are you happy with them? How much did they cost?
I am wondering why you went with the 2 dishes when you can gey both 110 and 119 satellites using the bracket for the lnb's?
Just curious,
Steve