question about dsl service in santiago

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
hey guys quick question i want to get dsl service for my girlfriend in santiago so that i can send her a skype phone and we can talk all we want for free. question how reliable is the service around El Dorado 1 area, because i really dont want her to call verizon everyother day because the service went down. the speed is not an issue because she does not have a computer all we need the line for is to connect a skype phone that just came out that you dont need a computer for it to work. now does she need a computer to configure the dsl modem or does she just plug the everything and it will work. i really need to do this because as many of you know who live in ny, the phone card people are getting rich and ripping us all off with their crappy service, horrible rates and cutting us off and stealing our money.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Phone service is pretty good in Santiago, alltho, I am not in the El Dorado I area.
She should have some neighbors that have Verizon service, ask her to check.

I have the lowest available flash service (Internet High Speed) from Verizon here in Santiago and it works great for phone calls.

Do you always talk in a non-stop action? Your posts would be much easier to read if you took the time to use proper punctuation. People will tend to ignore your posts more if you post in that fashion.

How much is the new Skype phone?

Don SantiagoDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Easily available in Dorado I. She has to go to CODETEL offices in town and ask for it...do not know the cost but less than RD$1000 last time I looked.

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
There are three levels to Verizon DSL in Santiago. The cheapest one starts at $1,000 a month the most expensive is $3,000 I believe.

Jose you will need to get the cheapest one. That is the one I have at my aunt's house and I use the Lingo service which is a VOIP phone. Works ok with the $1,000 connection with two exceptions:

1. There is a delay when talking if the person in the DR with this connection is using a webcam.

2. There is a delay when talking if the person in the DR with this connection is downloading music.

In order for you to get the best clarity the DSL line has to have very little/low activity.

This is not an issue with the most expensive one as I have a friend with the Lingo service in the Capital. They have the most expensive one at his house and he is able to download and use a webcam while talking on the VOIP.

Hope that helps.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
sorry for the punctuation. she is only using the line for the phone. she does not even have a computer which is what worries me because doesn't dsl service have to dial in in order to work. unless the phone itself have a feature that dials in automatically

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A DSL line does not require any "dialing" to use the internet.
It functions as an ordinary telephone line when connected to a phone!

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
yes i understand that but. this is not a regular phone is a VOIP phone and requires the user to be online for it to work so you do need to dial in.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I read your original post, the VOIP phone is plugged into the DSL Modem or Router as a computer would gain connectivity , there is no "dialing" in to connect the line, it is always connected. DSL is similar to a Cable Modem, except it utilizes the telephone line VS Cable TV line. This is a completely different animal than a 56K Dial Up.

To make a call, yes you dial the number.

What am I missing?

tambo'