Dehumifiers and water barrel pumps

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006
Hi my house here is pretty humid a lot of the time even though its a few hundred yards from the ocean. Often it is way more humid inside than outside.

I was wondering, apart from going out and buying a de-humidifier, I was wondering if anyone had any tips of ridding the place of its humidity.

Opening the windows only seems to do so much and putting the air con on only seems to be a temporary solution. As soon as its off again, I get very humid.

My second question is where can I buy those hand pumps. The kind you use on top of those massive 5 gallon water bottles that you get at the colmado. I would ask at the colmado but I dont know what those pump type things are called in spanish or how to explain in spanish what I am looking for.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Many supermarkets have the pumps in the housewares section. Playero in Sosua, for example, has them.

Caz

May 15, 2004
As HOWMAR says - water pumps are available in most supermarkets, Janets or the place next door in Cabarete.

On humidity - well our friends who have an apartment very near the sea keep their airconditioning on low all the time to stop clothes going mouldy. I don't know if a dehumidifier would be cheaper to run. The humidity will get worse when it gets warmer and is one of the drawbacks of being very close to the water. You need to beware of salt too on metalwork. WD40 is your friend!

C

Chip00

Hi my house here is pretty humid a lot of the time even though its a few hundred yards from the ocean. Often it is way more humid inside than outside.

I was wondering, apart from going out and buying a de-humidifier, I was wondering if anyone had any tips of ridding the place of its humidity.

Opening the windows only seems to do so much and putting the air con on only seems to be a temporary solution. As soon as its off again, I get very humid.

My second question is where can I buy those hand pumps. The kind you use on top of those massive 5 gallon water bottles that you get at the colmado. I would ask at the colmado but I dont know what those pump type things are called in spanish or how to explain in spanish what I am looking for.

As far as the dehumidifier goes it won't do any good unless the house is completely enclosed. Also, the only way that the humidity in your house could be more than outside is if you are in a basement, cook lots of food all the time or otherwise have lots of water in the house. I suspect that more than likely what is making the house feel hot is the radiant heat that comes from the ceilings and walls. If your house has a metal roof the hottest times of the day will be in the afternoon as the metal heats up quickly. If your roof is concrete as well as the rest of the house the hottest time will normally be between 8 pm to 11:30 pm or so.

If this is the case the best soultion is circultaion of air - buy a few good fans and put them in the windo and if your bed is next to an outside wall the gets a lot of the afternoon sun move it away if possible.

With regard to the little "bombita" as they call them here, thay can be found in many ferreterias(hardware stores).

Good Luck