Whale watching

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
Hi!

I am new to this forum. I am so excited to be able to visit Punta Cana within the next 18 months. We will be staying at the Occidental Flamenco Punta Cana. I was wondering when it would be best to visit. I have a great interest in the whale watching. Are there a lot of tourists that come and therefore make it hard to book with a tour group to see the whales?

I know nothing about Punta Cana. I am just starting to research. Any helpful hints of what not to miss would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sandy

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
So when you say "few whales" does that mean it doesn't necessarily mean that we will spot any? Also, how far away is Samana Pennisula from Punta Cana. I see it on the map. I just don't know how far it is. I was wondering if the hotels have organinzed tours to Samana for whale watching. If so, I wonder if it is by land to Samana or by water.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
There be whales..

few whales in Punta Cana, most are found in January and February in the waters off the Samana Peninsula far to the north.

For the last 3 days, I have had 2 or 3 whales within 300 meters off the shore of my house on the north coast. Appears to be going back and forth and in a feeding trend.

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
For the last 3 days, I have had 2 or 3 whales within 300 meters off the shore of my house on the north coast. Appears to be going back and forth and in a feeding trend.

Ringo, have you heard anything about whales on the east coast this year? When do you think would be the best time for us to visit in 2008?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ringo, have you heard anything about whales on the east coast this year? When do you think would be the best time for us to visit in 2008?

I don't follow ANY animal movement or behavior trends. I look around me. If they are here.. I watch, listen and enjoy. Sorry I can not help more.

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
I don't follow ANY animal movement or behavior trends. I look around me. If they are here.. I watch, listen and enjoy. Sorry I can not help more.

That's ok. I just want to tell you how fortunate you are to live where you do!

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
When I say "few whales" you might get lucky and see some but not many from the shoreline in Punta Cana.
I have been there many times and never saw a whale between the shore and the reef.

I am willing to travel to Samana if it is possible from our resort. How far away do you think Punta Cana is from Samana?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As the crow flies it is not far. If you are adventurous and use public transport you can go via Sabana de la Mar and cross Samana Bay on a ferry (foot passengers only). There have been several recent threads with more details about this route.

If you are driving you have to take the long way round, via Santo Domingo, San Francisco, Nagua etc. It's at least an eight-hour journey from Punta Cana. If you are visiting after the new Santo Domingo-Samana highway is finished (they say late this year but who knows) it will be much quicker, but you still have to drive three hours from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo (the highway starts a few kms before the eastern approach to the city) and driving time from there will be over two more hours.

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
Wow, it sounds like it might not be possible at all. I hope that perhaps the resort will have some sort of excursion/tour.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
During the period of mid-January to mid-March (when the whales are in the Samana area) there is an excursion from Punta Cana which includes a charter flight (return) and the whale watching trip.

Gregg

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
Yikes, that sounds expensive, Gregg! I hope it all works out and we can see some whales!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
best time to see tyhe whales and their babies is mid january til end february, some years they come in more early end december some years a few weeks later, but mid jan til end february they are here, on both spots, samana and in front of punta cana, those animals never change their spot for their whole life. here in punta cana you can see them late afternoons even from the beach, we see them while fishing 2-10nmls offshore that time of the year on most days, sometimes more far sometimes right beside our boats. they move in and out depending on food and shark activities, amazing to see those beautiful animals close by.
i don't recommend whale watching tours and i don't offer them, they should be left alone in peace with their kiddies, i just enjoy the views when we cross each other's way.
have a great trip to our paradise island
Mike

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
Thank you Mike! I never realized that you could see them off shore! I agree with you. I don't like to disturb animals as well. That is why I refuse to "swim with the dolphins" like a lot of companies offer. You made me feel good about at least being able to see them off Punta Cana! Didn't look like I would be able to get to Samana Beach.

doradojim

Mar 16, 2006
Take-off Air flys from PUJ toSamana`.One way is 99$US and I think return is 150$US.They leave around 8am and return at530pm.Saw 4or5 excursion type busses at the small airport near Samana`. Have no info on that. Take-off Air # is 809-552-1333.

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
Take-off Air flys from PUJ toSamana`.One way is 99$US and I think return is 150$US.They leave around 8am and return at530pm.Saw 4or5 excursion type busses at the small airport near Samana`. Have no info on that. Take-off Air # is 809-552-1333.

Thanks for the info!