Guaguas and motorconchos

Hails

Mar 15, 2007
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on the do's and don'ts of catching motorconchos and guaguas, such as how much a guagua is (i will be travelling between caberette, sosua and possibly POP), if you negotiate fares etc. I am a female and its the first time i'll be travelling around independently so feeling a bit nervous - any advice welcome - thanks!

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Guagua's - just stand on the street and they will 'beckon' you to get on.
Easy and kinda fun if you like to be in a mid sized van with 15 other people lol.
They also stop everywhere - and I mean everywhere.

Motoconcho's - great for the short trips. Longer ones take the guagua or get into 'caro publico' usually don't leave until there are six passengers in a Corolla sized car. Lots of motos around and the caro is best since if it is full ya just go.

Prices are the same for everyone now and no haggling needed. They are also all based on distance.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
And if you don't want the "crowd, Just pay double and get the front seat to yourself. They are used to that from us "gringa"s. I find it is cheap enough that paying the extra fare is well worth it, especially on a hot day!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
When you get on/in tell the driver or loader where you're going so they know in advance to dig you out at the right time. From Cabarete to Sosua eg: "Sosua -- el Texaco por favor." The other way eg: "Cabarete -- el centro por favor."

Keep a stash of small bills and 5 RDP, 10 RDP, 25 RDP coins. It's better to ask the fare of another passenger who's going the same way and then have the right change ready, than expect the driver or loader to make it for you. Gringos generally shouldn't be surprised to be expected to pay a little more though. I never minded.

Gua-guas may also be pick-up trucks. If you don't feel comfortable hanging on in the crowded truck bed, expect to pay a little more for inside -- if there's room; or wait for a van-type.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
You should always find out how much you need to pay beforehand, invariably they ask for more if you don't know or don't hand them the right amount (unless they get to know you after a few trips).

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Gua-Gua fare from Cabarete to Sosua is 10 Pesos, Caro Publico for the same distance is 15 pesos. I believe I paid 25 pesos to Puerto Plata the last time I went.
If you are going to POP from Cabarete, it's best to take a guagua, because you don't need to change cars in Sosua. The caro publicos have routes from Rio San Juan to Sosua and from Sosua to POP, which means you have to change cars and pay again, if you are going further.
It is best to have the exact change ready, because you will be asked to pay more being gringo/a.
Going on a guagua can be fun and it can be a nightmare, depending on the driver. On occasion I have counted 27 people, another time I prayed all the way home and one time I got out way before Cabarete, because of the idiot driver.
Motoconchos are ok in town for short distances, but I would never take one for longer distances. Also, they charge much more.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Very good advice from Snowbird44, most of the time I had fairly ok experience with guaguas (lucky if you get a good seat) but when two of them get together and start competing for fares it becomes quite scary... (they still compete even if there are full and people hanging off the doors !?)

Still one of the best forms of transport in DR.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Moto-concho... why?

Do you ride a motorbike at home? Statistically, probably not. Most people who don't ride a bike say it's because they are too dangerous.

So most people won't go on a motorbike in a developed country, where they would be wearing a helmet, leathers, boots & gloves but will jump on the back of a moped, ridden by a kid, on crap roads, wearing flip-flops and shorts, in a country where an ambulance might come along eventually?

Just because they are ubiquitous, don't think that makes them safe!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Moto-concho... why?

Do you ride a motorbike at home? Statistically, probably not. Most people who don't ride a bike say it's because they are too dangerous.

So most people won't go on a motorbike in a developed country, where they would be wearing a helmet, leathers, boots & gloves but will jump on the back of a moped, ridden by a kid, on crap roads, wearing flip-flops and shorts, in a country where an ambulance might come along eventually?

I don't see a single poster saying they are safe. Every form of transportation has it's level of safety. In slow speed urban traffic I prefer a motochoncho to a public carro for short trips as I don't feel comfortable that the public car might get rear-ended with the 100 pound propane tank installed in the trunk. Much rather get thrown from a motochoncho than trapped inside a burning car with 6 other passengers and three broken door handles.

C

Chip00

Gringos generally shouldn't be surprised to be expected to pay a little more though.

Gringos are only expected to pay more only if they don't know what the prices are. They cannot legally charge you more. If somebody asks you for more tell them no and offer them the normal rate and if they refuse tell them to go w/o you "que se vayan, entonces" - and wait for the next one.

Exotic

Mar 23, 2007
Is their an Age requirement to rent a vehicle? I know in Hawaii, an actual US state, says you must be 25.

Anyway what would you guys say is the average day/fee for a rental in the 30K range?

Thanks!

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
I don't see a single poster saying they are safe. Every form of transportation has it's level of safety. In slow speed urban traffic I prefer a motochoncho to a public carro for short trips as I don't feel comfortable that the public car might get rear-ended with the 100 pound propane tank installed in the trunk. Much rather get thrown from a motochoncho than trapped inside a burning car with 6 other passengers and three broken door handles.

Fair enough. But the point I was trying to make is that people's perception of risk is often clouded by the fact that they are on holiday. If you're 'personal risk assessment' says don't go on motorbikes when you are at home, why is it suddenly 'okay' when in vacation? Riding a bike in North America or Europe is far safer than in Dom Rep.

If you live there (which the o/p doesn't) then you have different issues regarding daily transport etc.

Obviously, the o/p may be an adrenaline junky who enjoys naked skydiving for whom a motoconcho will be quite tame... but it's still worth considering acceptable level of risk!

BTW I always ask a local how much the gua-gua is before I look to board one. Have the correct money in my hand before I get on, then on getting off, just give that to them.

C

Chip00

Riding a bike in North America or Europe is far safer than in Dom Rep.

As someone who has logged substantial miles in all three place I'm afraid based on personal experience that the US comes by far a complete and dead last place.

I have had a few close calls with people in the US who pulled right out in front of me while I was looking into their eyes. A lot of people in the US just don't "see" motorbikes - there too much in a damn hurry to get back to work after going to Circuit City at lunc,etc. etc.

I have as of yet to have one car do that too me here in the DR - Dominicans are very vigilant, believe it or not. Of course this doesn't apply late at night when half the drivers are three sheets to the wind!

Again one has to factor in the percentage of traveled miles that are motorcycle based and car based. In the US I'm sure it is less than 10%. Here, I feel fairly certain that it is over 50%.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
go slow.......

Moto-concho... why?

i used to be a bit freaked getting on the bikes,but i found/find if you say to them before/as you mount up ""el paso"'(slow,slowly)they will normally conform to your request.
once or twice i have done this and the guys have taken it so litreally i gotta say well you can go just a bit faster!
but in my experience the ""el paso"'line works all the time.:paranoid:

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
Is their an Age requirement to rent a vehicle? I know in Hawaii, an actual US state, says you must be 25.

Anyway what would you guys say is the average day/fee for a rental in the 30K range?

Thanks!

that's bs,

I rented a car in hawaii and I was 22/23 at the time.

it all depends on what car company you rent from. Enterprise will rent at 21 and even 18 in certain states..

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Slowly

i used to be a bit freaked getting on the bikes,but i found/find if you say to them before/as you mount up ""el paso"'(slow,slowly)they will normally conform to your request.
once or twice i have done this and the guys have taken it so litreally i gotta say well you can go just a bit faster!
but in my experience the ""el paso"'line works all the time.:paranoid:

My spanish is very elementary but what I've said in this setting is "despacio por favor". Does "el paso" really mean slowly also?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have Lived In The DR For 11 Years.Visited Since 1986,and...

I have NEVER read about,heard about,and certainly never seen,a car blow up from a propane tank exploding from an accident,or any other reason.
I HAVE HOWEVER,seen,heard,and read about "Motors" that have been crushed,along with their riders on a daily basis! Also saw 5 dead when they ran into a downed power line,"Toasty"!
I have told my wife that they day she puts any of our children on a "MOTOR" is the day that I take the kids and leave her!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
heh..i am finaly in agreement with CC.

7 years traveling to dr...and i have only seen two bad accidents on the highway (am lucky?).

Taking the publico's in the capital might be uncomfortable (i will look into paying double...woo hoo...10 pesos to sit in the front seat). but i found the drivers (at least in the capital) to be very good.

better yet...i wouldnt mind splurging the 100 pesos to get a taxi all to myself!!! My friends insisted on the 5 peso publicos so that i would have a "dominican" experience......heh..there are times that i dont mind owning up to being a gringo tourist.

I guess it all depends who you are crammed into the back seat with ;-)