worried sun village

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickiscorpio

Dec 3, 2006
hi we are due to travel to sun village in june/july and was very much looking forward to it as location looked very nice,

i am now very worried by tripadvisor recent reviews esp thos talking of theft and the way they were treted after it happened. i can cope with basic rooms but am also worried about damp rooms as i have asthma and bed bugs as these are a nightmare to get rid of plus iritate your skin,

i mailed the hotel 2 weeks ago no reply

any advice or had anyone been there recently??

also are there any atms in hotel or in cofresi as an option my be taking out our money as we go along, and do atms dispense in dollars or pesos??

many thanks nicki

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We were there a year ago. Not good. Rooms really smelled of mold. Half the people we talked to got sick from the food. We did to. Didn't see a atm but I'm pretty sure there is on in the area. We wouldn't go back and won't advise it for anyone else.

nickiscorpio

Dec 3, 2006
thanx champ, reading recent reviews it sounds awful. im already booked to do shark encounter at ocean world and the free style cat, no if i can just get a reply to pre book hubbys scuba then all will be fine lol, i went to dom rep 5 years ago and they were just building ocean world then, did the dolphin encounter then.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Champ..

...may have been "staying" in Cofresi for over 20 years, but we have been living in Costambar for over 14 years and wouldn't give you two cents for either Sun Village or Chris and Madys...

You'd be much better off at any three of the Rio's and/or the Iberostar Costa Dorada........

........Ocean World is nice........but since when has Playa Cofesi been the "upscale" area of POP>.........

....you should be worried!!!! Get out if you can!!!

Pinky101

Mar 11, 2007
WOW! I was just about to book my vacation at Sun Village, maybe I'll look elsewhere.

Thanks for the posts!

champ

Dec 2, 2006
i'm not here to bad mouth,,but compared to costambar, playa cofresi is paradise,,sun village is 4 1/2 star and chris and madys is the cheers of playa cofresi,,,

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Champ must be part owner....

....of EITHER, Cofresi, Sun Village or Chris and Mady's....since he is the only person saying anything good about them.........

......DISCLOSE!!!!!!!

...ALL you have to do is go to any of the travel message boards where they have "reviews" and you'll be able to find out ALL you'll want to know!........and a search of all posts from "Champ"!

Last edited:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
OK With Me

I've stayed there 3 times over long weekends this last year and found it quite nice.
I don't read travel boards, but that was my experience(s). I'd go again in a heartbeat. Don't want to debate it, just sharing the experience. Hacienda is also very nice, same area. And no, I don't have any monetary interest at either.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I get to see a lot of feedback at Debbie's, TripAdvisor and here and here's my two cents input, FWIW.

Sun Village - an amalgam of a former beach resort (Ocean Palms) and new construction up the hillside which became the new Sun Village Resort. The older rooms nearest the beach had poor comments as they were not initially refurbished but that was several years ago and they must have been upgraded as the comments have slowly disappeared. Always scored high points for their pools and their architectural creativity but the stairs due to the hillside location can be problematic. Food has a generally good to excellent record with a few periods of mediocrity.

Chris & Mady's has almost always scored quite highly with the tourist crowd but I must admit that when I looked at their menu on their website I was very disappointed as one of my pet peeves was DR business which switched to a $US priced menu a few years ago when the peso was volatile. My disappointment was because their menu is priced in $US - today. And to boot their prices are simply very high. That's two strike and not a lot of room to improve - their food had better live up to it's reputation or they have nowhere to go but down - IMHO.

Gregg

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Chris & Mady's has almost always scored quite highly with the tourist crowd but I must admit that when I looked at their menu on their website I was very disappointed as one of my pet peeves was DR business which switched to a $US priced menu a few years ago when the peso was volatile. My disappointment was because their menu is priced in $US - today. And to boot their prices are simply very high. That's two strike and not a lot of room to improve - their food had better live up to it's reputation or they have nowhere to go but down - IMHO.

Gregg

...and it does Gregg! Excellent food and great atmosphere. Chris & Mady are real sweethearts and do everything first-rate.

No, I am not monetarily connected to them either, but they are friends, in fact Chris & Mady were my first friends in the DR, and helped me out on numerous occasions.

Apart from that though, I would speak up if I wasn't happy with the food and service, and I haven't had to do that. I have also recommended their place to numerous friends of mine who have travelled to Cofresi, and have never heard a complaint.

I do have to admit, though, I am not sure who "champ" is in real life and have wondered the same about why in almost every thread, he has promoted them. So, fess up, champ - who are you and have I met you before? LOL

Back to topic, sorry.....;)

Marlie

champ

Dec 2, 2006
i am a friend of chris's and any time that i can help a friend out i'm there,,i'm not into badmouthing anybody,,,just trying to help a friend,,if i had nothing good to say i'd rather say nothing,,,see you at the bar,,

Status
Not open for further replies.