Need answers please help!

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Well most of you who know me on this board know that im looking for a job in the DR wich the search is going ok! But now I have a little question concerning a banking matter. How do you send money from a dominican bank account to a canadian bank account? And to open a dominican bank account to you have to be a resident (meaning do u need a residency card?).
Thank you in advance for all your help
Bellissima

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can have a US account in a Dominican Bank, and do bank transfers.
You probably need a US account in Canada as well, but I don't know for sure.
It certainly would be less complicated.
The last time I used such a service, they charged 50 bucks for a transfer up to $1,000 US.

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
Banco Popular just needs a copy of your passport to open an account for you.As far as the transfers I am not sure of the costs.Scotia Bank will not open an account for a Canadian without residency.Just a little something the Canadain government has to keep track of us.Hope this helps

coho

On Vacation!
Mar 4, 2007
Sending money from a Dominican bank to a Canadian bank, now that's a first.......very doable...... your Dominican bank will transfer funds through Wachovia. If you're DR account is a peso account the transfer would be converted automatically to U.S. funds then back to Canadian funds deposited in your account. Perhaps having a US funds account on both ends would be best. I do not and have never had a problem. Hope that helps

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Banco Santa Cruz charges $30 to wire funds. You do not need to be a DR resident to open a U.S. dollar account. They even pay 1% int. If you recieve checks from Canada ( cheques ) for real Canadians you can mail them for deposit in Canada. Costa Rica is where you go if you want to cash Canadian cheques at their Scotiabank.....I still liked my Dentist Post as that was all I got for my teeth cleaning.

coho

On Vacation!
Mar 4, 2007
Conversely you needn't pay more than $11. to transfer up to 10K US to ;for example: Banco Santa Cruz, from you're Canadian account......as long as you don't do it from a branch in bumwad North Saskatchewan...

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
ok so basicly if i have my canadian acct i can transfer money from my dominican acct where my pay chks will be deposit in when i start work. its just because i still have some stuff to pay back in canada so i want to make sure money will be available when the pmts go tru. Or what i can do is with the bank im with in canada open a us acct and then just do internet banking once the funds from the dr have arrived in my us acct just transfer them to the canadian one? is this correct?, im sorry with all the questions its just i want to be sure about what im doing!
thanks for the replies

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You can easily open up a peso account and a US dollar account here. YOu need your passport and a letter of reference from you Canadian bank! Make sure to bring this with you.

Then you can transfer money to your Canadian bank, however you will not want to do this every month - it isn't exactly cheap - depending how much you need to transfer you might want to do this once every 3 months.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
If you have somebody in Canada who can help, it may be cheaper to open a seperate account here in the DR. Provide the ATM card to the person in Canada and ask them to withdraw the money at the ATM and make the deposit for you. This will be alot cheaper if you are talking of a few hundred dollars at a time.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
If you have somebody in Canada who can help, it may be cheaper to open a seperate account here in the DR. Provide the ATM card to the person in Canada and ask them to withdraw the money at the ATM and make the deposit for you. This will be alot cheaper if you are talking of a few hundred dollars at a time.

that is one of the best way to do it but im still in canada and when i leave ill be leaving alone and i dont want to take the risk in sending a bank card by fedex. Ill have to contact different banks to see what their rate will be for a transfer, unless anybody here on the board knows? and what about if i already have a acct with scotiabk can i have my dominican peso chk deposit in there due to the fact that their is scotiabanks in the DR?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
that is one of the best way to do it but im still in canada and when i leave ill be leaving alone and i dont want to take the risk in sending a bank card by fedex. Ill have to contact different banks to see what their rate will be for a transfer, unless anybody here on the board knows? and what about if i already have a acct with scotiabk can i have my dominican peso chk deposit in there due to the fact that their is scotiabanks in the DR?
Scotiabank in the DR treats Canadians like they're lepers with HIV.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
You can easily open up a peso account and a US dollar account here. YOu need your passport and a letter of reference from you Canadian bank! Make sure to bring this with you.

letter of reference. [Both my highlights]

I was told that this was asked for, but not actually needed. As my bank wanted ?35 (circa US$70) for the letter I didn't take it.

Then found I do actually need it, no if, but's or may-be! (It sounds like banks in DR are tightening things up?)

So no bank account open in DR yet. And ?35 spent at my bank before my next trip!

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
letter of reference. [Both my highlights]

I was told that this was asked for, but not actually needed. As my bank wanted ?35 (circa US$70) for the letter I didn't take it.

Then found I do actually need it, no if, but's or may-be! (It sounds like banks in DR are tightening things up?)

So no bank account open in DR yet. And ?35 spent at my bank before my next trip!

Thanks ill make sure to ask my bank for that letter before leaving lets just hope they wont charge me that much!