Verizon/Claro changing to GSM...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I heard a few months back, that Verizon and now Codetel/Claro will be changing from CDMA to GSM here. Hard to imagine they'd forego all that CDMA technology, but who knows, maybe they made a deal to sell it to TriCom or Centennial (or the new owners of same)... Does anyone have any info about this?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If true, would mean one of three things:

(1) Codetel/Claro wants to sell one heck of alot of new cell phones....
or
(2) Codetel/Claro will be losing one heck of alot of cell customers......
or
(3) A combination of both the above.

I know that I will not be getting rid of my Motorola Camera phone with dual nams, which allow me to carry the same cell phone whether here or in the states.

I would be part of option 2.

Don SantiagoDR

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Can I activate an old CDMA smart phone for voice/SMS service?
I want to put my DROID Incredible to use, data not needed.
If so which carrier will do it, I know Claro still has CDMA service but won't activate new lines unless you know someone.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Claro still has CDMA, but they're getting rid of their towers slowly. I'm pretty sure you can still get it activated by claro, but service will be spotty unless you're in a big city. Tricom is the only one that is full CDMA, but their coverage is not that great either.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Claro needs to keep their CDMA network up. That was part of the sale deal with Verizon, that they would keep the CDMA network in production to accomodate Verizon's roaming clients from the US (like they ever use it :tired:). I think the agreement is until 2014 at least.
You'd be amazed to know how many haitians on the bordering towns use CDMA from all DR operators. Rates are much cheaper and service much better than their haitian counterparts.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Viva and Tricom both are activating CDMA phones (not sure about Claro).

Tricom is the only one that offers data, and their 4G LTE speeds are very good.