Men in shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

meirie365

Feb 23, 2007
It may have been this forum, but I can't exactly remember where I read a reference to men wearing shorts in the DR. It was said that Dominicans view men in shorts as "girlie pants".

I'm not your average close minded American. I open myself up to other cultures and customs, but this seems to be a bit stupid to me. As hot as the weather is in the DR, why would someone want to wear long pants all the time? You won't catch me out at night or at dinner in shorts, but you better believe I will wear nothing but shorts during the day.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i think daytime is ok. i won't ever wear shorts though in the evening to dinner.

besides who cares about the dominican men anyway ? i know i don't...:laugh:

kenmasters

Mar 13, 2007
Screw that....
My ass has been weather this nasty winter of Chicago for the past 6 months. there is no way that i am not going to wear shorts. I guess I will be the ugly american wearing my shorts.

Motorcycler

Jan 20, 2007
www.motorcycler.com
?OOO!!!! Krajo!!!! And all this time I thought my hairy legs in the wind were just to keep cool and get some sun. No wonder our dominican counterparts looked at us a little funny. :surprised
lol01.gif

Well I guess even hairy legged bikers have a femine side...somewhere.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
On the beach, in Sos?a, Cabarete or Puerto Plata (or any beach area) all well and good.
In Santiago, Moca or La Vega (or any inland town or city) no.

HB

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
What? No Shorts?

My first visit is scheduled for tomorrow, if I unpack my shorts my suitcase will be empty. I'm with kenmasters we've had about six feet of snow here in Colorado, I'm ready for shorts. Besides I've got nice legs.

meirie365

Feb 23, 2007
kenmaster

I'm from Chicago too! I'm there next week. I echo the comments of another poster. I could care-less what the Dominican men think. I'm 6'4 240 lbs. I'm not worried about having any trouble........being from the city of big shoulders!

Sep 19, 2005
hey do what you want...everyone else can kiss you behind....it aint their life...ITS YOURS.

although I apply Hillbillies thinking to my choice of wear for the day...never in town( because I dont want to) but on the beach...no problem... and around the house as well...

what do you care what that person who you never knew before...dont know now and will never know in the future ...thinks of your ugly legs

NOTICE: this opinion...DOES NOT APLY to SPEEDOS

bob

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
On the beach, in Sos?a, Cabarete or Puerto Plata (or any beach area) all well and good.
In Santiago, Moca or La Vega (or any inland town or city) no.

HB

That sums it all... However, being particularly careless about what other folks think, I mostly wear shorts in Santiago during the summer (it's just too hot)...

By the way, in Las Terrenas, you look funny if you wear long pants ;)

kenmasters

Mar 13, 2007
I'm from Chicago too! I'm there next week. I echo the comments of another poster. I could care-less what the Dominican men think. I'm 6'4 240 lbs. I'm not worried about having any trouble........being from the city of big shoulders!

My friends and I are planning to be there during the 4th of July week. Have my villa beach house confirmed and ready to relax and party. best believe this brotha will be wearing shorts either on the beach or in the city.

have fun

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You should also keep in mind that if you are sightseeing at historical sites or government buildings in Santo Domingo, some of them will not let you in with short pants

C

Chip00

It may have been this forum, but I can't exactly remember where I read a reference to men wearing shorts in the DR. It was said that Dominicans view men in shorts as "girlie pants".

I'm not your average close minded American. I open myself up to other cultures and customs, but this seems to be a bit stupid to me. As hot as the weather is in the DR, why would someone want to wear long pants all the time? You won't catch me out at night or at dinner in shorts, but you better believe I will wear nothing but shorts during the day.

Wearing shorts is ok here as long as you are not trying to go more or less incognito - the people will know you are a gringo from way off and will charge accordingly if given half a chance. I even see some Dominican guys doing it but they are usually the hood type that go down to the knees.

I myself am a gringo and live here in Santiago and use pants when I go out and honestly find the ambient temperature a lot less hot here that Florida or SC where I used to live. A little breeze here and some shade is all you need to cool off. The sun though, is very bright and will burn a pale person to a crisp in no time flat even if one is not aware of it.

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
If you see a pale, but burning gringo wearing a speedo with black socks under his sandals stop and say hi, I'll buy you a beer!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
If you see a pale, but burning gringo wearing a speedo with black socks under his sandals stop and say hi, I'll buy you a beer!

will you have glissening hairy limbs, a huge belly, and a hawaiian shirt oh and a straw hat? hahahahahahahahah

let us know how it turns out, enjoy the island!!!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
But seriously....

No problem at all wearing shorts in the tourist/beach areas...sure, everyone will know you're a tourist, but chances are, you can dress as "Dominican" as you want and everyone will still know you're a tourist. But, um... you are, so who cares! Be comfortable and enjoy yourself. BTW, "YOU" refers to all manner of Gringo visitors ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.