Up-Date on Customs Stealing

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Please review my last post regarding this matter. I filed a protest with customs on the tax they charged my brother for a t.v. he brought me. There response if it had been brought in in Dec. no tax and if was brought in after March 1st. no tax due to CRAFTA but since it was brought in in Feb. I have to pay 23,000 pesos tax on a T.V. that cost 705.00 dollars in the U.S. Not only that but since it has been in customs for one month ( mind you a formal protest was filled ) I have to pay a 100.00 fine for storage.

WELCOME TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC!!!!!

C

Chip00

Please review my last post regarding this matter. I filed a protest with customs on the tax they charged my brother for a t.v. he brought me. There response if it had been brought in in Dec. no tax and if was brought in after March 1st. no tax due to CRAFTA but since it was brought in in Feb. I have to pay 23,000 pesos tax on a T.V. that cost 705.00 dollars in the U.S. Not only that but since it has been in customs for one month ( mind you a formal protest was filled ) I have to pay a 100.00 fine for storage.

WELCOME TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC!!!!!

Have a little heart, don't you know these aduanas guys need this money for their kids education?hahaha

The best thing you can do is spend US150 to send it back to your brother. Call EPS or "Business Mail".

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Call Dr. Read he speaks perfect english does work for Peace Corps. and U.S. embassy his phone is 809-566-7892 0r 809-683-4383. Tell him Capt. Rob Skaates sent you.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Customs did me rite

Great news as of this morning after more than 30 days of dogging them customs gave me my T.V. DUTY FREE so don't ever give up the ship.

Capt.Rob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Great news as of this morning after more than 30 days of dogging them customs gave me my T.V. DUTY FREE so don't ever give up the ship.

Capt.Rob
Wow, persistency pays. I'm surprised they didn't "lose" your TV.

Did they let you slide on the RD100 storage fee?

C

Chip00

Capt.Rob

Geez that's great news!

Seriously, do you mind telling us how you pulled this off? A big tip, a bigwig cu?a etc?

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Customs struggle

Thanks for all who responded. What I did was file a formal protest with customs at the main office on Abraham Lincoln. Typed not hand written and kept my feelings out of it. Just simple asked them to reconsider the tariff rate because I felt it was to high. Mind you this process has been going on for over 30 days. I called every day once in the morning and once in the afternoon. At one point they said they had lost my paperwork so I called and fax copies to the sub-directors office spoke to a very sweet young lady and told her about my frustrations. Never did I say I did not want to pay taxes after all I live here. That afternoon they called. Now I do not have the T.V. because this was Fri. but, come Mon. morning I will call again because, I must get new paperwork stating the I am to pay no duty. The T.V. was brought in on Spirit air out of Fla. and cost 125.00 extra to ship it because it was over sized. And yes they are going to eat the storage fees also. This was one of my bitches if you file a formal complaint how can you charge storage if it takes more than a month to say yes or no. Be polite you will get more with honey than with vinegar.