White couple sue over black (half-Domincan) baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinab

Sep 22, 2004
Has anyone read about what is going on in Long Island?

Cut and paste read more:
http://news.google.com/newsq=thomas+nancy+andrews+baby+jessica&hl=en&um=1&sa=X&oi=news&ct=title

This is the reaction I sent to one of the local papers. I hope it gets posted.

As a proud mixed race Dominican (Moor, Spanish and Palestinian) I am digusted with the parents REAL reason for suing: the little girl is not half white. Who is the mother (who BTW is fully Domincan) kidding? Does she really think SHE'S white? I would love to interview her hairdresser and ask if she takes her relaxer with lye or no-lye?

These are two quotes from the mouths of a confused white man and a really confused wanna be white woman that really drove it home for me:

?We are conscious of and distressed by this mistake each and every time we appear in public,?

So I'm assuming that at every birthday party, ballet recital, soccer game, and all those things we parents of healthy children look forward to, these two poor excuses for parents will be ashamed of Jessica's beautiful afro-puff and amber complexion.

The judge said the couple complain that they have been forced to raise a child who is ?not even the same race, nationality, colour ... as they are.?

FORCED to raise??? Wait a second. This mother carried and gave birth to baby who shares half her DNA and she feels she has been forced to raise her. God don't like ugly. Maybe that's why she was really never meant to be a mother in the first place.

The biological father should sue to get Jessica and raise her to be a proud mixed race woman.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I read the article in today's paper. I was wondering if all the dramatics an was actually "legal" talk so they can sue the fertility company. They need to prove some sort of "pain and suffering" to sue. If you don't have any...no law suit.

vickat20

Aug 2, 2005
I read an article earlier today regarding this couple, and also saw their family portrait, and they appear to be a happy family. It's kind of like going to the drive thru and ordering a Big Mac, and when you get home, you realize they gave you a Filet of Fish instead. You might still eat the Filet of Fish, even enjoy the Filet of Fish, but you ordered a Big Mac.

Invitro and insemination procedures are very costly - both financially and emotionally. If that happened to me - regardless of the race of the sperm donor - I would be quite upset myself.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
a few clarifications

The original piece appeared in the New York Daily News. The couple based their pain and suffering claims on the expectation that the child will endure ridicule in school and in social situations. They further claimed that every time they look at the child they are reminded of the error, even though they love her "as their own." The presiding judge dismissed most of the damage claims of the couple's suit, and stated in her decision that becoming the parents of a healthy albeit unwanted baby does not constitue pain and suffering.

The judge allowed the malpractice action to proceed. DNA testing confirmed that the woman's husband did not father the baby; the clinic erroneously impregnated the woman with some other man's sperm. My opinion is that the malpractice claim has merit because the couple engaged the fertility clinic because they were having trouble conceiving, not because the husband was sterile (they already had a naturally conceived daughter).
A photo of the couple with both children accompanies the piece on NY Daily News. I think the resemblance between the children is striking. The couple claimed that the younger child has features that are more "African American" and "darker skin" than either of them. It's a story that depressed.

All in all, I think the judge ruled very wisely and fairly. I think it was very unwise for the couple to allow their children to be photographed and to appear in a tabloid newspaper. If they were genuinely concerned about the child being ridiculed, why allow her image to appear in a downmarket tabloid?

I understand where the original poster is coming from. I wish I could say I'm surprised by the Dominican mother's attitude.

C

Chip00

Dios mio

I think this is a sad situation. More than likely this this couple received some bad advice to pursue a legal case with the intention of getting a big settlement.

Unfortunately, the one who are going to pay in the end will be the couple and their kids when the daughter is old enough to understand what is going on. How would you explain to your daughter without hurting her feelings that mami and papi sued the doctor because she came out the wrong color?

Sometimes, unfortunately, greed comes before rational decisions and love. As far as they are concerned they might as well put this girl up for adoption because this whole situation can only have a sad ending. If they don't want her send her to me - I'll add her to the flock!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
They are too embarrased to tell their own family of the mix-up but they have no problem letting photographers take pictures of their children and plaster their innocent faces across the media? That is disgusting.

That poor little girl who is going to grow up and know that her parents think she is too dark to be a proper part of their family. Mistakes happen and you cannot blame a child for them. They shouldn't have gone to the media as she will be able to later on find out what her parents said about her being a mistake.

I love how they play up her gorgeus hair to be more "puffy" while they have the other little girls hair pulled back half up half down. If they had done this with the little one's hair they would look more alike. Playing it up for the cameras.

Idiots! I would take her in a heartbeat! Poor girl!! They don't deserve to have her!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just another example of the extreme lengths some Dominicans go to trying to convince themselves and others that they are "white".
I think both girls look alike and while the elder daugther does 'favour' her fathers' skin colour , the youngest isn't much off the mark of her mothers.
I know a South African couple , living in Canada who were classified as white altho' one of them had skin colour very similar to my Italian Stallion's and a very definite negroid nose. Their first two children were almost as white as I am however the third was definitely a mulatto! She is one of the prettiest girls I know and looks like my rudy Italian when he's spent too many days in the sun on the golf course!!

C

Chip00

Just another example of the extreme lengths some Dominicans go to trying to convince themselves and others that they are "white".

I believe you but I honestly haven't seen that a whole lot other than they always seem to pick a shade "lighter" when they describe their own color. I don't really think all of this can be attributed to a dislike for dark color - a lot is due to the "dynamic" that causes people to want the opposite of what they have - women w/straight hair want curly etc. Remember too there is a saying here - "El negro pega con to'!"

Back to the topic at hand - I really think the motive here is money and they just haven't realized the repercussions of their actions - oh boy but when they do I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. As a father of two little girls a lot like they have it hurts me to think this little girl will one day for sure doubt that mami and papi really loved her.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I agree with Chip-- I think it's all about money. I'm sure they love her dearly.-- Well... I would hope

I think they should sue. There is negligence on the clinic's part. They need to be more careful.

But......

To go to The Post and have this on the front page. It's a disgrace. I hope she never sees the article when she grows up. It's very hurtful. You have to say to yourself what are people thinking???? Are they??

Shame on the lawyers and shame on them for being swayed by the lawyers for a couple of bucks!!

I wonder if there is going to be a follow up article tomorrow? The Post likes scandalous events. I wouldn't be surprised if some things are taken out of context or the parents didn't know that the article was going to appear--Something crazy like that. It wouldn't surprise me.

We shall see.....

mixedtings

Jan 27, 2007
I nearly replied to this , without readin the news document..At first, with me bein mixed race and my whole family being mixed race, i thought what a damn cheek..But this aint about race as the media would like it to sound, this is simply about a married couple where the wife has been impreganted with another mans sperm, and the husband has to stand by and rasie another mans baby knowin genetically she is not is. The wife must feel awful havin carried another mans baby...The fact the baby is dark skinned, is not an issue, if the dna's all matched up then happy days, they would have been real happy.....We put our trust in the medical proffesion, and they should repsect and value that trust and up there standards...Yes the family shold be compensated, andin particular the child for when she older..

Sep 19, 2005
The article starts off with this question:
Shouls a couple be able to sue , if a fertility clinic impregants the wife with another mans sperm?

hellll yeah..........

how about :

if a doctor amputates the wrong leg, should the patient be able to sue?

come on....THEY...PAID, the clinic, for petes sake.......

not ony is the child not biologically the hisbands , it can have untold emotional reprecussions as the marriage goes on, when they argue about things...it could be the stickler that always has the hisband bitter.......maybe.

I say they should get a HUGE amount of money from a lawsuit over the infertility clinic.

bob

vickat20

Aug 2, 2005
This couple never went public with their case - if you read any of the articles regarding the case, you will not find one direct quote made to the media. All of the content of these articles are taken from the judge's ruling, which was made public.

This couple should at least get back every penny that they paid to the fertility clinic. Part of raising a biological child is knowing exactly where that child came from. This child and her parents will never know her family medical history - if there is a history of cancer, heart disease or whatever. This is definitely NOT what the parents paid for.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
the court did not publish that photo

This couple never went public with their case - if you read any of the articles regarding the case, you will not find one direct quote made to the media. All of the content of these articles are taken from the judge's ruling, which was made public.

The couple or their lawyer provided that photo to news outlets. It was not the court.

vickat20

Aug 2, 2005
Who knows who provided the photo? It may have been the family or the lawyer; however, it could have been anyone related to the family trying to make a quick buck. You can't say for any certainty that it was the family or their lawyer.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Well, the Daily News has an article in today's paper. It's on page 18. It's small and doesn't have the sensation or a photo at all. The only quote from the parents is quoted from from the legal documents is

" Frankly the only 2 things we are sure of is, he was male and of African/American descent."

So, take it for what it's worth. It sounds like the parents had no idea and as previously posted all of the comments/quotes are taken from the legal documents.

I'd be pretty angry if I were the parents and had no idea that this was going to wind up in the media!! But who knows.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The main and future victim in this case will be the child, who may not receive the kind of unconditional love it deserves from both parents. This innocent child is going to grow up with this burden on her shoulders, it's not fair to her. I think the media is over sensationalizing this issue to get more readers by stating a "White Couple is suing for mixup". When its clear that the woman is not white. The mixup is wrong of course, but to put out in the media is terrible.

C

Chip00

First of all I agree that these people have every right to get a refund and more. However, this is not in the best interests of the child in my opinion - I could be wrong and maybe they could adequately explain to her the reasoning - I certainly hope so.

As far as to the motive I still believe it is the chance to get a big settlement. why? Well if you look at the article you will find phrases like: "family is so distraught", "There is continuing uncertainty" and "emotional distress". However, the real kicker is the following statement:

They also fear that that the unnamed African-American donor's sperm may have been used to dupe other couples, or that another couple may have gotten Thomas Andrews' sperm.

"There is continuing uncertainty . . . as to whether the genetic material of either or both of them has been inappropriately used for others and that they may have natural children or half-children that they are unaware of," the suit said.

Does anybody really think these people are so concerned about some unknown public that they are willing to put their relationship with their daughter at stake? - give me a break. Anytime a suit on behalf of a plaintiff seeks to protect the unknown public against further "errors" by the defendant institution you can be sure it is because they are hoping for a big punitive damage award to "teach a lesson" to the institution - and of course the plaintiff will receive the award - not the unknown public!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Ricardo I agree with you. This broad ain't white. $hit my skin tone is lighter than hers and I don't call myself white. I am a mulato just like she is.

I agree with everyone that has said that suing for malpractice is appropriate. This was a major screw up on the clinic's part.

As for the child - I feel sorry for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.