Domincan geniality

C

Chip00

I'm finding that I'm enjoying the Domincan geniality quite a bit now that I've been here a year now. I'm refering to the way people act in semi-formal situations with strangers such as at the super, bank, etc.

I've spent most of my time in the cibao region but have visited the north coast and the capital on a few occasions. There is definitely a difference in the way I was treated in the North Coast areas and the Capital but I believe that is due to my appearance of being a gringo. In Santiago nobody pays me hardly any mind at all. Also, I've definitely noticed that the cheerier a person is the better results they will get.

My question is - is the cibao region is known for it's geniality more than the other areas or is it a Dominican trait to be found throughout the island?

Last edited:

lilredrooster

Aug 12, 2006
Cibao

I find in the Cibao area, specifically Santiago, folks more educated.....in a verrrry general statement. Maybe that's why it's called Santiago de los Cabelleros! The people are appropriately proud, not found much elsewhere. Glad you've found your 'home'.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As a rule, highland people tend to be more conservative and reserved than coastal people, so maybe that could be applied to the DR. It's usually a lot to do with climate, culture, migration patterns and economics.

Dominicans as a whole are genial, but if there are any degrees of geniality according to region, I haven't really noticed. Exceptions might be some poor campo people who can be very shy and reserved, in a downtrodden sort of way. I've also heard my husband, who considers himself to be a Cibae?o himself, say that "los Santiagueros son comparones" - in the sense that they are snooty and superior.

But then again, I don't hold much with these types of generalisations - I've visited places that have a strong stereotype of rudeness and unfriendliness like New York and Paris and found the opposite to be the case.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I've spent most of my time in the cibao region but have visited the north coast and the capital on a few occasions. There is definitely a difference in the way I was treated in the North Coast areas and the Capital but I believe that is due to my appearance of being a gringo. In Santiago nobody pays me hardly any mind at all. Also, I've definitely noticed that the cheerier a person is the better results they will get.

I think it has a lot to do with where you are known. I find people extremely congenial in Puerto Plata, but then I'm known around town (the English loca who feeds stray dogs). And we behave differently where we're known, too. Maybe unconsciously, but we'll be more confident in areas where we're part of the furniture, and therefore probably more gracious.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Not that I have spent a huge amount of time in the RD I have noticed that the longer you have been around and the less time you are seen, if at all, with putas the more people say hello.

It seems that the Dominicanos also take a bit of time opening up and I am assuming especially to ex-tranjeros.

It is a great feeling getting a genuine greeting from someone in the community such as a mother or father of a good family.

C

Chip00

It seems that the Dominicanos also take a bit of time opening up and I am assuming especially to ex-tranjeros.

In Santiago when I talk even with strangers who don't know me from Sam Hill I've noticed that they are very friendly. I've also noticed that being more or less cheery definitely helps.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Just the opposite

Having been coming here for 25 years and living here for 10 I find just the opposite go to any comado, hardware store etc. stand in line and wait your turn they will serve a dominican before they serve a gringo. Look how they drive hardly polite. There vocabulary exits of one word damilo ( give me ). They live in the me first society. The women only speak six words damilo, algo mi, presta mi. ( give me, give me, give me ) orita, tate quieto, deja mi. ( later, leave me alone, ) They only are polite to us because they come with there hands open expecting a tip. I had my car washed the other day the same place I have used for three years some time I tip well sometimes just the left over change. Car wash cost 80 pesos so I tipped 10 pesos the guy said I was cheap. Well by law 10% is mandatory so 10 pesos is more than 10%. I guess he wanted the title to my car. If you figure when you go out to eat 16% itbs and 10% propina that add 26% to your bill. They stand around no service don't they understand the more I drink and eat the higher the bill ergo the more propina they recieve.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
The OP's guess is bang on

Capt. Rob, I came here in 1980 and I've made my home here since 1984.
The OP's guess is bang on, and Chirmoya's highlands vs. coastal folk thesis is a good one, and jrf's "being seen with putas" is especially true. I could add that the international mafiosa presence in certain coastal cities breaks down the traditionally genial Dominican reception.
Your points seem cynically callous, or perhaps the result of your lifestyle here. And by the way, 16%+10% makes the bill 17.6% higher, so (grin) you're getting screwed even worse than you feared.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I would say that I experiment friendliness in Santiago most of the time. But in the Samana Peninsula, people are much less friendly... I am wondering if it is because of their historical particularism, or because of tourism.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in a way lambada is right, people in POP who have seen me many times in supermercado, on a way to work, in church will always be pleasant. but i am still GRINGA, RUBIA, AMERICANA....
in santiago no one psssssts at me and a woman with small girl politely explains to me where to get carro publico without her child shouting st me "dame cinqo pesos" - which happened few times in POP....

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
My experince...

One year in the Republic... I guess in a couple of years you will change your mind. Tragic but probably true. If you live in a gated coomunity maybe not, I do not. I am at my 6th year here.

The fiist year I met guy, still friend of mine, that was extremely aggresive towards dominicans. Maldito moto conio etc... I did not understand what his problem was, now I do. Why? Some examples...

- Crashing in a car, getting robbed. Mp3-player, cellular, sandals, extra lights battery, tool box etc... Did not steal my golf bag, it was in the trunk. They probably did not know what it was. Had to buy (yes normal here) it back from the cops. Main street outside a gas station. Figure out the genitality... Like hyenas...
- My kid got hit by a camioneta, unconscious for three days. No fresh blood at the clinic, I had to go out and look for blood in blood banks in town (Santiago)... The treatment afterwards... naw Butchers.

I have been all over the island, but live on the north coast. I agree, people are nicer in Santiago then in POP, Sosua... hard not to be.

I have been in contact with many dominicans, I have not only been in tourist areas. My kid lives with his mother in santiago area. How many real dominicans friends do I have? How many dominicans do I trust? I guess my kid and his family on the mothers side... :) They have always treated me good.

Like in all cases, there are exceptions, but when it comes to dominicans my experience is that they are few. There is a good reason why dominicans are only allowed to travel to a few countries without visa. So why live here:

Climate, climate, weather, weather, sun, sun, nature, nature, ocean, ocean... :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I do hope this thread doesn't deteriorate into a generalised Dominican bashing. And I do wish we could look at how we present ourselves; often we get back a mirror reflection of what we are putting out. Communication is never a one way street.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I do hope this thread doesn't deteriorate into a generalised Dominican bashing. And I do wish we could look at how we present ourselves; often we get back a mirror reflection of what we are putting out. Communication is never a one way street.

I agree. But also, we should not romanticize and say that the majority are good happy fellows. I changed opinion by the experiences I have had down here. Also, ask small business owner how they feel about the dominican mentality.

DR is a very beautiful country though and I love it for that.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003

Forgot to say that it is hard to think how u present yourself when u are unconscious by the airbag, hard to communicate...:ermm:

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Different People

...friendliness in Santiago most of the time. But in the Samana Peninsula, people....
...sit and it takes a 'regalo' to make them get up...

Cibao people are business people and being polite is part of that.
Saman? people don't have to be polite. They sell land or wait for 'remesas' from overseas.

Look at the houses and neighbourhoods in the two areas.

m'frog

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I agree. But also, we should not romanticize and say that the majority are good happy fellows. I changed opinion by the experiences I have had down here.

I totally agree about not romanticising. And my perceptions are (naturally) a result of the experiences I have here too. In PP I don't get the gringa, rubia, americana stuff which dv8 does. I did for about the first 7 years but not for the 7 after that. Maybe it's because I'm older. Maybe it's because I've been here 14 years. Maybe it's because I'm comfortable in my skin here. Maybe it's because I'm well enough known that they daren't. ;) It might be different for me in SD for example.
It's just that I don't see the majority of Dominicans as being any more or any less 'good happy fellows' than any other nationality............ I really don't.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
It's just that I don't see the majority of Dominicans as being any more or any less 'good happy fellows' than any other nationality............ I really don't.

I really think that in most countries, if you have an accident on a main road, people will help u instead of robbing u. Maybe I have to high thoughts of the human being...:glasses:

I had seen it before in DR, but never experienced it myself... Scarrry nothing u can do

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Public morality or mob mentality is not really the issue in the ops thread.

Generally speaking the Dominicanos are quite friendly and the majority of the time can be quite courteous and welcoming.
Whether the same guy may not take ya wallet when ya down - well - who's to say.

If you are decent and have a genuine love for the RD you will be more accepted by the community at large. This is a good feeling and makes it feel more like 'home'.

C

Chip00

One year in the Republic... I guess in a couple of years you will change your mind. Tragic but probably true. If you live in a gated coomunity maybe not, I do not. I am at my 6th year here.

The fiist year I met guy, still friend of mine, that was extremely aggresive towards dominicans. Maldito moto conio etc... I did not understand what his problem was, now I do. Why? Some examples...

- Crashing in a car, getting robbed. Mp3-player, cellular, sandals, extra lights battery, tool box etc... Did not steal my golf bag, it was in the trunk. They probably did not know what it was. Had to buy (yes normal here) it back from the cops. Main street outside a gas station. Figure out the genitality... Like hyenas...
- My kid got hit by a camioneta, unconscious for three days. No fresh blood at the clinic, I had to go out and look for blood in blood banks in town (Santiago)... The treatment afterwards... naw Butchers.

I have been all over the island, but live on the north coast. I agree, people are nicer in Santiago then in POP, Sosua... hard not to be.

I have been in contact with many dominicans, I have not only been in tourist areas. My kid lives with his mother in santiago area. How many real dominicans friends do I have? How many dominicans do I trust? I guess my kid and his family on the mothers side... :) They have always treated me good.

Like in all cases, there are exceptions, but when it comes to dominicans my experience is that they are few. There is a good reason why dominicans are only allowed to travel to a few countries without visa. So why live here:

Climate, climate, weather, weather, sun, sun, nature, nature, ocean, ocean... :)

I'm sorry you feel this way. BTW - I was talking about being genial in semi-formal situations with unknown people like at a bank, etc. I would compare it to the way southerners are in the US more or less.

As far as the other things you mentioned I don't think that is represenative of the people here in my opinion - there are a few bad apples wherever you go.