Thievery & Security Guards

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
It's been quite a month. I had an apartment break-in (in a nice Santo Domingo neighborhood) about three weeks ago and a vehicle stolen yesterday (from a parking lot in an even nicer neighborhood).

In BOTH instances Im convinced the "guachiman" or security guard was involved. I had to miss work and go through hell a few weeks ago, going from police station to police station to "fiscalia", to report and pursue the home break-in. Police walking around with pistols stuck into their waist bands because they are too poor / poorly organized to afford holsters, shouting in incomphrensible ghetto spanish. Long all-day waits for sargeants and fiscals to arrive. Urine-stinking jail cells around the corner. The prospect of the thief being released and waiting behind some dark tree.

Now I have to go through the process again for the vehicle on Monday morning. I have to pick up the thief and transport him to the fiscalia myself, "denounce" him and have him put in jail for who knows how long. (The guy who broke into my apt was out in a few days). Then I have to somehow get the security company to acknowledge their responsibility for the complicity of their employee in the theft.

It's a nightmare.

And spare me the "It happens in NY, too" posts.... I lived there.

I guess the moral of the story -- dont trust the security guard.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sorry to hear about your problems :(

Usually the security guard is the first person the police detain in these types of crimes, that's because they are often the culprits.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have to pick up the thief and transport him to the fiscalia myself, "denounce" him and have him put in jail for who knows how long.

Empathies. Are you picking up the police to accompany the thief as well? If not you need friends in the car..............or at least request thief is cuffed. Friends of ours were expected to transport the perp who attacked their daughter, in the same car as the daughter! They naturally refused but still had to pay guagua fares for police & perp to get them to Court. After Court they were expected to take perp to jail! They didn't have to because Bushbaby took control & bundled police & perp in the back of his vehicle........

If you don't feel happy about transporting your thief for security reasons you can refuse. You'll probably have to pay fares etc. but that's better than a stressful journey.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
O....M....G...! Is this for real? you have to transport your own Perp? They may as well have no police!!!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Too true...anybody remember the Verizon Conde caper?

Sorry to hear about your problems :(

Usually the security guard is the first person the police detain in these types of crimes, that's because they are often the culprits.

The phone center was robbed just before the guachiman arrived for work late. The cashier girl was drugged with what police thought might have been ether. She still works there, the guachiman does not.

Sometimes the guachimen are found bound and gagged. I am making no representations about any guachiman's guilt or innocence, but the statistics are highly suspicious.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A recent incident was described to me - several homes in a guarded complex were broken into at the same time. No attempts were made to break into the many unoccupied units. This was in broad daylight - late weekday morning - and the guards "saw nothing". Draw your own conclusions.

Sorry to hear about your mensis horribilis, fightingirish.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
It's been quite a month. I had an apartment break-in (in a nice Santo Domingo neighborhood) about three weeks ago and a vehicle stolen yesterday (from a parking lot in an even nicer neighborhood).

In BOTH instances Im convinced the "guachiman" or security guard was involved. I had to miss work and go through hell a few weeks ago, going from police station to police station to "fiscalia", to report and pursue the home break-in. Police walking around with pistols stuck into their waist bands because they are too poor / poorly organized to afford holsters, shouting in incomphrensible ghetto spanish. Long all-day waits for sargeants and fiscals to arrive. Urine-stinking jail cells around the corner. The prospect of the thief being released and waiting behind some dark tree.

Now I have to go through the process again for the vehicle on Monday morning. I have to pick up the thief and transport him to the fiscalia myself, "denounce" him and have him put in jail for who knows how long. (The guy who broke into my apt was out in a few days). Then I have to somehow get the security company to acknowledge their responsibility for the complicity of their employee in the theft.

It's a nightmare.

And spare me the "It happens in NY, too" posts.... I lived there.

I guess the moral of the story -- dont trust the security guard.
this type of thin has happened to a lot of people(gringos,here)."sometimes"the cops,like the *ob get their % from the theft.sad but true.
brit friend of mine had his biz broken into twice in the space of 3 days.
in this case the watchi man dident get shopped.(he was just sleeping......?)
so he remained employed,as he was watching 2 other biz's at the same time.
so rather thn shop him he kept his job but my bud did/doesent have to pay him for"WATCHING"untill the amount of what was stolen equals the cost of what was ripped off!O.M.G.!
my advise is write this bull.chit off and get yerself a personal s.guard.
sounds to me like the cops want you to do their job,and YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET RECOMPENSED OR JUSTICE.
maybe.....just drop it and get a barring order that the guy cant come within
1km of yer property?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry to hear about your experiences. I think that the frustration and feeling of impotence just grinds into your psyche...yes, we've been hit a few times....and we caught two and pretty much think we know who the other one was.

Funny thing, when we got rid of our 'guachiman" the thievery stopped...

If you catch a thief, hit him a few times with a baseball bat, and tell the police he was trying to escape....

With tens of thousands of people out of jobs, we here in Santiago are expecting more and more of this type of thievery.

Dogs, yappy dogs...and perhaps a really BIG one as backup..

HB

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
Thanks for the notes of sympathy. The post alone helped me vent. ;)

Im sure there are posters more deserving of sympathy, like that poor guy who was hog-tied with a pistol in his face.

But yeah, it's frustrating and yesterday certainly had me thinking of buying a one way ticket. Ireland anyone? Scotland, maybe?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Funny thing, when we got rid of our 'guachiman" the thievery stopped...

I think this sums it all... Having a watchman isn't doing any good. The house has to be able to close like an oyster, meaning bars all over. If you have a garden, razor-wire on top of the fence is a good idea. I don't know much about appartments in the city, but bars and a very strong front door shall help...

I don't like dogs, so it is not an option for me (just a personal stuff...)

No watchman is the best. The less you have dominicans in your house, the less you will be robbed...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If You Have Your Home Or Condo Robbed In The DR,......

...and you have a maid,or a watchman,you have nailed the "Usual Suspects" down to two!
If you have a gardener,handyman,or ANY Dominican who regularly has access to your home,there are a "Few More" who are no doubt responsible!
If you have "Family" in the house,round them up too!
Why do you think that Dominicans not only have locks on their "gates" and doors,but also on their bedroom doors,closet doors,and drawers as well?

I think that "DOMINICANS",rank just behind,"Gypsys" and "Irish Rovers" on the World "Most Likely Too" scale!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC