Sad day for Sosua beach - best bar gone...

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Scandinavien bar on the beach burned down this evening. Nothing left... just ashes. Anyone that has info about how it happened?

We feel for u Tom.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominican Bar Owners Couldn't Stand The Competition!

Typical way of fighting the competition,"Dominican Style"!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Yes, too good a burger is dangerous... :laugh:

m'frog

Seriously, it is not funny. The bar was his life. He worked 7 days a week, 365 a year for something nice. But u r right, when u do something nice here u r in danger. He got a call from the beer supplier that the bar was burning around 10.30 pm, it was just ashes when he came down. Earlier in the day he had paid the beach security guard that was protecting his bar and others bars. He had Toms phone number, no call... Figure it out Miss Marple.

I am sure it is gonna be a full complete investigation :ermm:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Oh no. Definitly our favorite burger place on the beach. I hope they will be back.

Bob K

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Oh no. Definitly our favorite burger place on the beach. I hope they will be back.

Bob K

I tell u for 200 % sure that he won?t build it up again. Maybe a fire in the sand, BBQ, yuca, platano, cooked bananas, plastic broken chairs and no trash cans. Do it the "normal" way.

danely

Apr 23, 2004
I certainly hope you are wrong about the rebuiding. I am so ****ed that I will help him to rebuild if he wants to....very good guy, Tom. I am sure there are others who will do the same.....so please let him know if you are one of them. To start from scratch all over again by yourself would take a lot of will power, and that's just to get started again....never mind the actual process of rebuilding, and defending it from future threats indefinitely.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It wasn't just the Scandanavian bar, a total of 6 restaurants and bars were burned to the ground.

The bars destroyed started with the one on the Charamicos side of the blue and white toilet building about in the middle of the beach and consumed a total of 6.

The very hard rain of the past two days also caused a lot of trouble for many gift shops. They were flooded and are out in force today washing the mud off the paintings that were sitting on the floor.

Additionally there are lots of rocks six to eight inches in diameter at the beach end of the passage to the highway about midway on the beach. Lots of rocks were washing down from the hill by the heavy rain and have accumulated there.

tsg

Mar 25, 2007
The loss of the Scandinavian Bar is a loss to all of us trying to make a living of the tourists in Sosua. There are only a very few guys left in town now, who run their buissnesses in a way that make people want to return. Accident or not - this is a big loss.

Mostly I feel sorry for you Tom. Thousands of hours of hard work up in flames. I wish for you and the rest of us to see you back working soon somewhere else in town.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
If the paid security guard didnt notice and never called I wonder who is going to want him around protecting their property after this incident?

Manxman

Aug 14, 2003
I'm sorry to hear about the Scandiavian Bar, but can you tell me if Papa's was damaged as well? When we go over to the DR we go down to Sosua beach nearly every day and sit around there, usually at Jungle Juiced but love the burgers and kababs at the Scandinavian Bar. Its a shame to see such a dedicated business go to down in such a terrible way. Hopefully it was an electrical fault and not malicious.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I'm sorry to hear about the Scandiavian Bar, but can you tell me if Papa's was damaged as well? When we go over to the DR we go down to Sosua beach nearly every day and sit around there, usually at Jungle Juiced but love the burgers and kababs at the Scandinavian Bar. Its a shame to see such a dedicated business go to down in such a terrible way. Hopefully it was an electrical fault and not malicious.

Papas is gone as well. I do not know what 6 restaurants Ken talks about. I think it was 6 cassettes, Scandinavien bar had 4. An Italian restaurang is also gone.

Yeap, it is sad when people try and then just gone... an I loved the burgers.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I read that there were a number of 'looter's' as well. Typical I guess but still unsettling.

Regards and hope you are ok.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I read that there were a number of 'looter's' as well. Typical I guess but still unsettling.

Regards and hope you are ok.

I am not Tom, but I liked his burgers. They were still stealing during the day today. Pops, half bottle of Baileys, wonder how it tasted??, black (read burned) kitchen equipment...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Papas is gone as well. I do not know what 6 restaurants Ken talks about. I think it was 6 cassettes, Scandinavien bar had 4. An Italian restaurang is also gone.

Yeap, it is sad when people try and then just gone... an I loved the burgers.

DR Mpe, the Dominicans who work in that area told me 6 bars, so I passed it on.

Regarding looters, when I was there about 11 this morning there were people going through the ashes and pulling out a few bottles. But I didn't see anything else to loot. It must have been a hot fire because it looked like everything worth stealing, other than the bottles people were finding in the rubble was destroyed.

Of course, I didn't ge there until 10:30 or 11, so anything is possible before then. But it looks like it must have been a hot fire.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

People who work nearby told me 6 bars, so I passed it on.

Re looting, I was there about 11 and there was nothing to steal but a few bottles that people found in the rubbish. Maybe stuff stolen before I got there, but it looked like a very hot fire.

I did see very charred sheets of tin from the roof walking away. Maybe that is what the person who mentioned looters was referring to.