Hope everyone is OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestrummer

Mar 22, 2007
Hope my question about the weather wasn't too insensitive. After reading other posts i saw how severe it was.
I do hope everyone's OK and there isn't too much damage.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
That was nice of you. :) Yes some people have lost everything, houses collapsed or washed away, mostly, speaking for Puerto Plata, in downtown barrios. Many homes flooded, mud everywhere. When you arrive chat to hotel workers, they'll tell you. Maybe bring a few toys for their kids...........? Or any spare clothing you have? I'm sure the gesture will be appreciated.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
anyone you know of collecting money ? hey, i joke a lot but i will come to the aid of a DR1'r or someone in real need.

PM me...

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Wow I didn't know that the rain was that bad. I will definitely bring something to give to some of the folks that I know.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
anyone you know of collecting money ? hey, i joke a lot but i will come to the aid of a DR1'r or someone in real need.

PM me...

I think those of us who live here are checking on families we know in the barrios and dealing with the situation accordingly. As far as Puerto Plata is concerned the Mayor has been pretty hands on throughout clean up, rescue, evacuation etc. effort. Anyone wanting to help should contact Ayuntamiento or Cruz Roja or Defensa Civile in PP. I don't know about Sosua.

Saskia, your mother-in-law is ok. Saw her this morning.

Pictures for those who don't know how messy it is in some of the barrios:
Puerto Plata Digital

Puerto Plata Digital

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Many Thanks

Lambada

Many thanks for that, Jonathan spoke with her yesterday ... she said it had been raining heavily but that she was OK.

I wish there was an easy way of us helping ... Joshua has many clothes he has outgrown, he's only worn some of them a handful of times - such a waste, I wish there was a way of getting them out there.

Thinking of all those affected by the floods xx

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Lucille - on Friday night we had almost 2 hours of the most incredible downpour I have ever seen. Entire neighbourhoods have been flooded out. Thank goodness there is no local loss of life (as far as I know) but hundreds have lost almost all their possessions!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I wish there was an easy way of us helping ... Joshua has many clothes he has outgrown, he's only worn some of them a handful of times - such a waste, I wish there was a way of getting them out there.

There might be. There's a nice young lady from UK coming out in April; she is a DR1 member so you could PM her. I don't know if she'll have space in her suitcase but it's worth asking. If she is able to bring the baby clothes, I could arrange for her to deliver to your mother-in-law and she could onward distribute to her friends in affected barrios. I'll email you the members board name since if I post it here, the poor girl might get inundated with offers of help...................

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
The woman who has the answers lol

I will get in contact today Lambada, was originally thinking of giving clothes to people I know here ... but hey who needs them more! I guess his winter stuff will be pretty useless out there but there is plenty of things that would suit DR climates, Thanks again - Jonathan will be pleased as well, if we can help out there xx

MGoss

Mar 28, 2007
OH my, I did not realize either that the weather was that bad. Where can we send clothes, etc to? My friends and I just loved the people of the DR and could certainly try and get some clothing together. What about shipping it from the States? Is there a relief avenue set up to facilitate this?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
OH my, I did not realize either that the weather was that bad. Where can we send clothes, etc to? My friends and I just loved the people of the DR and could certainly try and get some clothing together. What about shipping it from the States? Is there a relief avenue set up to facilitate this?

Thank you so much for your offer to help and thanks to everyone else who has contacted me privately. I have posted how to send donations here:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/61257-donations-flood-victims.html

Status
Not open for further replies.