GBP Cayo Levantado

Poppykat

Mar 26, 2007
Hi

Me and my partner will be staying at the GPB Cayo on the 10/05/07. As we have booked through First Choice, it is classed as a premier holiday and it states that we can use the facilities of the other GBP hotels.

I was concerned to read on some of the reviews on Tripadvisor that apparently if they use the free boat shuttle service from their hotels, the guards on the island lets them in and they too can use our facilities (which I totally disagree with because this hotel is supposed to a premier hotel). I know there is a private beach and that OK because we have use of a private one but I'm not happy if this is true that they can use our facilities.

Does anyone else have any views on this?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Firstly, you may not get too many responses as this property you are referring to is in Samana and you are posting in the "East coast"section.
Many resorts in the DR which have multiple hotels on one property (or in this case a short boat trip away but still part of the Bahia chain there) gives guests reciprocity at the "sister" facilities and some privilleges.

Go and have an awesome vacation, have heard rave reviews from some colleagues of mine about this place;)

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Poppykat, the law in the DR is that all citizens have free access to land withing 60 meters of the high tide salt water mark.

Poppykat

Mar 26, 2007
Whatever.........

My question for was for other BRITISH holiday makers who had visited the HOTEL (not just any tom, dick or harry that has visited the island, or DR locals). I have obviuosly joined the wrong forum/site because a lot of you on here seem have attitude problems.

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya.........

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Word your question correctly then....

You asked `Does anyone else have any views on this?'

Perhaps you should have asked `Do any British holidaymakers who have visited this hotel have any views on this?'

You sounded like a bit of a snob originally, but after reading your comment `See ya, wouldn't want to be ya....' I reverse my opinion entirely....

Pinky101

Mar 11, 2007
Poppykat, perhaps you are just a little sensitive (don?t know you so can only give you the benefit of the doubt).

First, this forum is probably the BEST place on the internet or elsewhere for learning and finding ANYTHING out on the DR. The people here are caring, empathetic, intelligent, well-informed, funny, and most importantly helpful. I can go on and on, but I think you get my point. And while I?ve only been ?a member? for a few weeks, I have been reading the posts (on and off) for a couple of years and can truly tell you this is the place.

Second, you asked a broad question, which in return is getting you all kinds of answers. However, these are ALL legitimate answers. No one is being rude, nasty or showing an ?attitude problem?. They are just answers to your question. Don?t take it personal. I?m sure that this type of behavior, is not tolerated in the DR1 Forums. If you want to be a snob, then by all means be one, no one here knows you. However, don?t take it out on the forums. After all, you did ask for their views on the subject.

Third, these people also understand that everyone is human and can make mistakes. So, if you really want their help (and trust me you definitely do because they are your best source of information) then just apologize for your outburst, call it a bad week or what ever and rephrase your question. You would be amazed at the results.

Word or advise, you reap what you sow. Be nice to people and they, in return will be nice to you. Dominicans in general are very hospitable and generally go out of their way to please their guests. Whether you stay at GBP Cayo Levantado or a different place, if you tip the staff that services you ? you will be treated like royalty. Not because they have to treat you this way, but because it?s how they show their appreciation. Humble people that they are. Do you HAVE to tip them? No, but it will definitely make your stay a pleasurable one.

Also, I?m sure that GBP is big enough for you and your partner that when others come to use the facilities you may not even notice them. And since you will be traveling in October, chances are there may not be as many people as there would in the summer months. But then again, I could be wrong.

Either way, I do wish you and your partner a great time in GBP Cayo Levantado.

Feb 7, 2007
Pinky101, great reply

The question of OP seemed to me very snobby, as was pointed out, with the attitude "I paid MORE, so I don't want people that paid LESS, around..."
It looks and sounds very snobby AND childish.
As GBP Cayo Levantado is the most expensive (and most exclusive) of the GBP hotels in GBP complex in Samana (it's 3 or 4 hotels over there), that is waht flashed in my mind when I read the OP. That's why "I" replied to just let it go...
And, as pointed, it's the OP that seems to have the attitude problem, not the board members who responded the question.

Again, great reply you gave.

McDonald

Apr 15, 2007
that was uncalled for...

Just browsing thru the forums for information on the island and came across this thread... I can hardly believe what I'm reading. How rude!

I'm also a Brit (Scots to be more precise) and will be staying at Cayo Levantado next week. Just to re-address the balance, I don't care what your financial status is, where your from, your politics, your religion or your colour - if you hear a Scots accent on the beach next weekend, come up, introduce yourself, and I'll buy you a drink. Not all Brits are like this idiot.

Poppycat - you're an embarrassment. If you have any respect for history, which I seriously doubt you have, you will know that people like you were quite rightly hounded out of this area of the Caribbean around 1795. 200 years on and I seriously doubt the current residents would welcome your return.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
You sound like a really nice guy. To be fair, I don't think you read the whole story, because Poppykat posted on more than one forum so there was more than one thread running on the same question at one time. I think a lot of people had negative views on her question...and then she didn't do herself any favours with her response.....HOWEVER, be sure to have a blinding time and if I was on the east coast when you were visiting I'd be sure to take you up on that drink....have a great holiday, I'm sure that the island could do with more visitors like you........

Feb 7, 2007
For anybody interested, first read my thread on robbery in GBP Cayo Levantado
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/61799-robbery-gbp-cayo-levantado.html

Now my 2 cents of info:

- Nice area, you've got your private island after all! 8/10
- Entertainment - Boring - if you expect lots of activities - this is good for laying down on the beach or by the pool, drink some pina coladas, and then go to bed. Very poor evening entertainment. 2/10
- Rooms - great, big jacuzzi bathtub, separate shower and toilet. Modern bathroom design. Small TV. Good channel selections. Spacios terrace, 2 compfy chairs. 8/10
- Room service - included, 24 hours, OK selection. 7/10
- Free Internet - in a lobby computer, soon to be installed a free wireless in a lobby (when completed, would give9/10). No internet hookups in the rooms. 8/10
- FREE CALLS!!! - you heard it right, calls are free, because they still do not have the telephone accounting amchine, so you can call virtually anywhere for free. Check on this upon your arrival to see if still valid. 10/10
- Food - smallest buffet I have ever seen, if you lucky selection is pretty good. They do not cook much as I have never seen more than 20 people in the whole dining room of the buffet restaurant. 5/10
- Beach food - snacks - small selection, 5/10
- Drinks - for beeing a five-star-plus hotel, VERY small selection. No premium drinks, which is a surprise because I have seen more premium drinks in lower category hotels. 3/10
- Service - in general - quick 8/10
- Pool - 3 pools, nicely shaped, usually "dead", few people here and there, one jacuzzy pool. 7/10
- Security - got my cellphone stolen from inside the locked room - 1/10
- General decore - nice lobby, air conditioned, looks like a loby of a mansion. 8/10
- Bars - close at 11pm, no nightly bar. 5/10

If you can stay, stay in the main building. You will have everything close by. Avoid the off-site villas. Even though a villa may be close to the beach, you can walk to the beach in 3 minutes. Stay in the main one!

I have not seen people from other GBP hotels coming in. Beware, there is a public beach located on the island, so anybody can visit. this beach, however, is separated from GBP resort area. Usually no-one without and ID bracelet should be let in. This public beach also has its own transportation. This may be the what the OP referred to. But other GBP hotels in Samana area are not close by, the nearest in is 10 kms away and 300 pesos (10 USD) taxi ride away.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Not as far away as you think,...one of the other GBP hotels in Samana is located directly opposite Cayo Levantado on the northern shore of Samana Bay. Gran Bahia (extensively refurbished and operated by the Pinero group) is less than 1/2 mile away and has shuttle boat service to the Cayo. The other area GPB hotel is the Cayacoa that overlooks Samana Harbor. And rumor has it that Pinero has bought a big piece of oceanfront property in Las Galeras and is in the preliminary stages of building a resort there.

Feb 7, 2007
I have seen Cayacoa when passing through the Samana "downtown", yes it is right over the Samana harbor, which is abut 10 kms away from Cayo. I have not seen the "Gran Bahia" hotel right across from Cayo Levantado, there is the Cayo Levantado reception which is on the shore, where you get checked in, but I have not seen any hotel there. Maybe that is the entrance to the other "Gran Bahia" hotel you refer to, as well?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You are all being much too kind and gentle with a poster who is displaying zero sensitivity (the OP that is). MacDonald, she is worse than an embarrassment (& have a great holiday yourself btw). Sharlene, there may be other threads and more to the story but having seen the OP's response I am not motivated to look for them. For those who thought she was coming in October, you might find it is May - she is (I'm ashamed to say) a Brit. & the date & month are put the opposite way round i.e. date followed by month. Since tourists displaying the attitude of the OP are exactly the sort who get themselves into a whole heap of bother here I have advised the Hon. Brit. Consul who covers that area that he may want to be on 'holiday' while the OP is here...............:) :)