Humidity and laptop

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
We've been here 2 weeks today - thanks for all the help from our new (and old) friends in Sosua. Had the weirdest thing happen, on our IBM Thinkpad. A number of keys just stopped working. It was not powered on for a couple of days. Then after powering it on for 1/2 day or so, eventually all the malfunctioning keys started to work again. Could it be the humidity / all the rain ? Should we leave it powered on ? I would have thought heat would be a problem, not a solution. Funny thing - the cheap ACER that was going to be our backup worked perfectly.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
could be humidity but I think it's more likely the dust. The country is very dusty. I never had humidity problems with a laptop but I'm guessing you are probably using it more on the beach than I would.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Definitely leave it powered on!! Humidity is just as much a problerm as dust.
We have gone through TV's and radio's that just "sit" when we are home in Canada due to 'rust' caused by the salt air. Leaving the power on (in the case of TV/radio keeping them plugged in) helps keep the components 'dry' so the sea air is not as much of a problem. We now leave any electronics plugged in with the main power on in our apt. when we leave and have found they last much longer.