more money or not

eztime

Feb 11, 2007
Okay here we go I have been to Dominican Republic at least about 20 times or more to the usual places sosua the capital Santiago San Pedro on most of my trips I try to go someplace different on the island to look for a different experience I have done some scuba diving river rafting and anything that involves a little adventure right now I'm thinking of the biggest adventure and my life I plan on retiring in the Dominican Republic on my last the few trips I have been looking more seriously at Santiago also inquiring about other places Spanish is not a great but I have made quite a few friends when all my visits can retire three years earlier than I planned it I stick to a budget for the first three years my question is can someone live a pretty good life and the DR on 20,000 year I will be living on 20,000 year for the first three years after that I can start collecting my pension I do not plan on having to work just something to keep me busy from being bored what I need to know is a cost of living for an apartment food entertainment transportation things of that nature just wondering would 20,000 a year be more than enough or do I need to go back to the drawing board have spoken to friends and they say that is more than enough but I'm still in the process of doing research and more research and more research to view the board as in other avenue of research hopefully I can get quite a few responses to collaborate all the information together to come to a reasonable conclusion PS appreciate the help plan on moving down in February

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Forgive me if you already said this, but I find a post without punctuation difficult to follow. Is that 20,000 US$? Or another currency? If so, doable for adequate lifestyle but not for highly luxurious one. I'm assuming that is for one person?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
20k no problem........modest lifestyle though................you should keep in mind that your biggest necessity will be a car. from your activities i sense that you will need a good car. there goes your first 20K plus. if you ship in a car, there goes 20k. either way you lose at least 20k. the alternative is driving old junk that is always breaking down. my experience has been,,,,,,,,,,,,,driving from altamira (near puerta plata) to SD in first gear on a sunday night.............SD to santiago with bad water pump, stopping every 10 miles for more water, 4 adults, 3 kids, small car,,,,,.............santiago to SD with no lights at night,,,,,,,barihona to SD with brakes in only one wheel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,countless dead batteries in the middle of nowhere..........priming diesel mitsubishi jeepeta with a bottle cap of gasoline, into airbox, every morning.,,,,,,, push starting car on avenida anacaona (most expensive street in the country),,,,,,,,,,,,,dashboard on fire........no horn, no rear-view mirrors,,,,,,,,,,,.i know some of this behavior is dangerous, am not suggesting it's OK to do this either, these things happened to me, and i do not claim to be the responsible party in all of the said events, just going with the flow......your car - 4wd pick em up - can cost you more than housing.............