Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What items can be brought into DR?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What items can be brought into DR?

I will soon be flying from the United States to the Dominican Republic. I am trying to locate a listing of what can and can not be brought in the country.

I'll be coming in for a wedding - and there are a couple of items that I would like to bring but don't know if I can. Specifically food and alcohol. I wanted to bring the couple a nice bottle of wine as well as the groom's favorite bottle of vodka. I'm not planning on bringing any fresh fruit or vegetables - but would like to bring caviar and a couple of other items.

Thanks so much for your help!

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Just pack it in your checked baggage and walk past the Customs guys with all the other pasty white tourists, like you've done it a hundred times before, and the chances of being singled out are minuscule at best.

Gregg

Post Thanks / Like

Gregg - but what happens if I am singled out? Sorry - but I've never traveled outside of the States/Mexico - and I have no idea if what I want to do is illegal. Would they just confiscate the stuff? Throw me in jail? Not allow me entry?

Also, I won't be coming directly from home to the DR. I have another stop before I head there. I was hoping to just purchase the alcohol at the duty free shop in Miami as I head out. (I'm sure I can pick up the vodka there - and hope they will have a wine selection) It would be in my carry on then. Would that be a problem?

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

First - you're not doing anything wrong so don't worry.

Second - The type of thing you want to bring might single you out for a Customs inspector to ask for a "propina" or tip (read as bribe) to let you go without a hassle but what you are bringing isn't a crime - just a bit different than most.

Third - the chances of being hassled if you go with the flow is almost zero and if stopped just play the dumb, English speaking tourist until they tire of you - then they'll let you go.

Have a great vacation.

Gregg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - as long as I'm not doing anything wrong - I can deal with the customs guy, just so long he won't throw me in jail or something!

Looking forward to the visit....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Listen

Do as Fireguy says....you have already been through immigration when you come into the airport and they look at your documents and take your tourist cards then you collect your luggage and just walk right out of the airport teminal like you know what you are doing. Don't go anywhere near the customs table which is ofto the right on your way out after you get your luggage.

You will have no problems.

????
    Why buy vodka state side anyway it is cheaper in the DR at a super mercado (market).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm..i have never had a problem bringing liquor with me (or better yet...bringing the brugal back)

You are even allowed to bring liquor in your carry-on. They just have to be those little "nip" bottles and inside a zip lock bag. Totaly legal

Not sure about the food stuff and the caviar. I would think as long as the seal is intact you should be ok.

you might not be able to find a very fancy vodka in DR....absolut but i doubt you will find grey goose or other designer vodkas.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all! It's the Grey Goose that I need to bring...so I'll go ahead and bring it from the States.

Hlywud, are you saying that I don't need to go to the customs tables at all? Just walk through like you aren't even a tourist....is that the trick?

I gues I better brush up on some Spanish so I can at least find my transfer when I leave the airport.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

really....dont worry about this. I believe it is perfectly legal to have a bottle in your check in. I am pretty sure youw wont have a prob with the caviar as well. But to be sure call your airline.

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

It is legal to bring the bottle with you. Buy it at duty free.

And yes you can get Grey Goose here in this country. Is it cheaper then Duty Free - I doubt it. Absolute is cheaper here and lesser brands are cheaper too at least that is what I am told! I am no expert on Vodka.... but I do like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast