What items can be brought into DR?

Visitor

Mar 28, 2007
I will soon be flying from the United States to the Dominican Republic. I am trying to locate a listing of what can and can not be brought in the country.

I'll be coming in for a wedding - and there are a couple of items that I would like to bring but don't know if I can. Specifically food and alcohol. I wanted to bring the couple a nice bottle of wine as well as the groom's favorite bottle of vodka. I'm not planning on bringing any fresh fruit or vegetables - but would like to bring caviar and a couple of other items.

Thanks so much for your help!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Just pack it in your checked baggage and walk past the Customs guys with all the other pasty white tourists, like you've done it a hundred times before, and the chances of being singled out are minuscule at best.

Gregg

Visitor

Mar 28, 2007
Gregg - but what happens if I am singled out? Sorry - but I've never traveled outside of the States/Mexico - and I have no idea if what I want to do is illegal. Would they just confiscate the stuff? Throw me in jail? Not allow me entry?

Also, I won't be coming directly from home to the DR. I have another stop before I head there. I was hoping to just purchase the alcohol at the duty free shop in Miami as I head out. (I'm sure I can pick up the vodka there - and hope they will have a wine selection) It would be in my carry on then. Would that be a problem?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
First - you're not doing anything wrong so don't worry.

Second - The type of thing you want to bring might single you out for a Customs inspector to ask for a "propina" or tip (read as bribe) to let you go without a hassle but what you are bringing isn't a crime - just a bit different than most.

Third - the chances of being hassled if you go with the flow is almost zero and if stopped just play the dumb, English speaking tourist until they tire of you - then they'll let you go.

Have a great vacation.

Gregg

Visitor

Mar 28, 2007
Thanks - as long as I'm not doing anything wrong - I can deal with the customs guy, just so long he won't throw me in jail or something!

Looking forward to the visit....

Listen

Do as Fireguy says....you have already been through immigration when you come into the airport and they look at your documents and take your tourist cards then you collect your luggage and just walk right out of the airport teminal like you know what you are doing. Don't go anywhere near the customs table which is ofto the right on your way out after you get your luggage.

You will have no problems.

????
Why buy vodka state side anyway it is cheaper in the DR at a super mercado (market).

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
hmmmm..i have never had a problem bringing liquor with me (or better yet...bringing the brugal back)

You are even allowed to bring liquor in your carry-on. They just have to be those little "nip" bottles and inside a zip lock bag. Totaly legal

Not sure about the food stuff and the caviar. I would think as long as the seal is intact you should be ok.

you might not be able to find a very fancy vodka in DR....absolut but i doubt you will find grey goose or other designer vodkas.

Visitor

Mar 28, 2007
Thanks all! It's the Grey Goose that I need to bring...so I'll go ahead and bring it from the States.

Hlywud, are you saying that I don't need to go to the customs tables at all? Just walk through like you aren't even a tourist....is that the trick?

I gues I better brush up on some Spanish so I can at least find my transfer when I leave the airport. :ermm:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
really....dont worry about this. I believe it is perfectly legal to have a bottle in your check in. I am pretty sure youw wont have a prob with the caviar as well. But to be sure call your airline.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It is legal to bring the bottle with you. Buy it at duty free.

And yes you can get Grey Goose here in this country. Is it cheaper then Duty Free - I doubt it. Absolute is cheaper here and lesser brands are cheaper too at least that is what I am told! I am no expert on Vodka.... but I do like it.

Sep 19, 2005
a few things...I have seen split wine on the baggage carrosel more than a few times...either it broke from poor baggage handling or from the cold temps at altitude...I am thi8nking poor handling...

you cannot bring any bottle larger than 3-4 oz in your carryon , before you get to the gate at the airport. You can bring all the bottles you want in your carry on, if you buy it at the duty free shop in the gate area.....you better make sure your gate has a duty free shop....I went on a flight were the duty free shop wasnt open once .....and on another flight where I never saw the duty free shop at all in the gate area.....who knows they change gates as needed.....

best to pack it very well and put it in your checked luggage.

from the amount of alcohol I see Dominican buy at JFK on their way to the DR...i would say no way it is cheaper in the DR.....

or it might just be that the stuff these people are buying is different seems to always be some type of Scotch.....

Caviar would fall under the 3-4 oz rule for carry ons...you could pack that in a cooler in your checked luggage. The DR will let you in with all kinds of wierd stuff...its america that looks for stuff they dont want brought in....

bob

Visitor

Mar 28, 2007
As long as it's not illegal - I'm good with it. And also glad to know that you can get it in the DR as well. I'll hope for a Duty Free shop inside the gates at Miami - and if not, I won't panic since I'll have options in DR.

Even if I did purchase it at home and pack it in my check in - I somewhat agree with Bob - my luck would be to have Grey Goose soaked clothes upon my arrival! I don't think they bottle that stuff in plastic!

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Anything you can bring out of the united states you can get into the DR. If they stop you for a baggage check or wave you over get one of those guys who carrys the bags to carry yours out and tell him you have no time for the check your car is waiting. Show him a $5 or $10 as you hand him your bag and off you go right past the baggage check. They dont seem to care what your bringing in because the US has already checked on the way out.

Keep in mind this at POP airport. STI seems to check far more thoroughly to collect taxes on imported goods.

Some types of alcohol are more expensive in the DR than in duty free. Jagermeister, Jack Daniels are a few examples. Typically any US made booze will be imported in the DR and be more expensive to buy than in the duty free shop. If you smoke Marlboros dont bother with duty free their cheaper in the DR.

Visitor

Mar 28, 2007
You guys are a wealth of information!

More good advise - I can get Marlboro's cheaper in DR? How many can I bring back to the States with me?

I'll be flying in to LaRomana airport...staying at an all-inclusive there. Been told that the closest "town" is Bayahibe. Evidently its easier to get to than LaRomana. Anyway, would I be able to "shop" for these kind of things in Bayahibe...or would I need to go to LaRomana?

Already been told not to buy from the resort gift shop - way too expensive there.

So you think those baggage handlers will be available in the LaRomana airport as well? I like the idea of having them just take my luggage out!! Especially since I'm traveling by myself.

Sep 19, 2005
is bayahibe even a town?? ha ha ha ha...it is more like a place than a town....La Romana has to be huge compared to Bayahibe..if you cant find it in LaRomana, you wont find it in Bayahibe....unless you are looking for ...peace and quiet.. ha ha ha

San Pedro de Macoris is a pretty big town that is less than 30 minutes i think from la Romana......
I dont know jack about the airport there....youd have to talk to some other vacationer to find out about that airport, because I am pretty sure that it is almost exclusively used by tourists to the La Romana area....

check out this DR1 article...

La Romana & Bayahibe - Dominican Republic (DR1)

bob