Brazilian/Mexican couple in DR

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
ENGLISH--------------

Hi,

My girlfriend is Brazilian and I'm Mexican. I love Brazil but I prefer not to live there after we get married due to the crime/violence situation in that country. Not to mention that I feel more comfortable speaking my language (Spanish) than Portuguese.

If we decide to live there, it'll be in the Northeast of Brazil. However, if we choose the DR, I would love to live in the Eastern part (Las Terrenas, Las Galeras, Samana, etc.).

Do you think it is possible to get a job as a web designer in that part of the Dominican Republic?? I can work for a company, freelance, or even start my own business (I have my own business in the US) ?

If anybody has been to both countries (Brazil and DR), please let me know what are the differerences between them as far as crime/violence goes..

Thanks a lot

SPANISH--------------

Mi novia es brasileira y yo mexicano. Yo amo Brasil pero no quiero vivir alli cuando nos casemos porque es un pais muy peligroso.

Si me voy a vivir alla, sera en el noreste de Brasil. Ahora, si nos vamos a Dominicana, iremos tal vez para la parte de Las Terrenas, Las Galeras, Samana, etc.

Algun Dominicano(o) me puede decir que tal es esa region y si hay trabajo para profesionistas (soy web designer)?

Si alguien conoce ambos paises, Brasil y R. Dominicana, me puede decir las diferencias entre uno y otro con respecto al crimen, violencia, asaltos, etc..???

Muchas gracias...

C

Chip00

I have personally never lived in Brazil but I live in Santiago but from researching violence here in the DR and in other places in the world including Brazil I would say that the overall crime rate for the two countries is close(see link below). However, the capital's crime rate of 0.46 is much higher than Santiagos and the Dominicans who I've talked to that live there are wary to go out even during the day with purses or jewelry. Here in Santiago I can say that that is not the case.

However, one cannot deny the violent crime that happens here in Santiago but from my understanding it happens mostly in the "areas" calientes and usually at night.

As far as working here in the DR as a web designer I would say to anybody coming here that this is a very tight job market with a lot of competition and low pay.

If I were you I would get an internet phoone and maintain your business in the States. Heck, a lot of your clients won't even know that you have moved.

In fact that is what I do - I have my engineering business in Florida and travel 6 to 8 times a year and I'm still coming out way ahead.

Good luck

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/56443-violent-crimes-dr-yes-no-9.html

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I grew up in Brazil, also lived in Europe, USA, and visited Mexico.

My Brazil experience is outdated (by over a decade) but I think the DR is now where Brasil and also Mexico were in the 80's in terms of criminality. I mean that in terms of brutality, willingness to apply violence and sophistication of the crimes.

For example "bala perdida" was (still is?) a big thing here in some parts of the capital SD about a year ago. I recall that being a big thing in Rio 1990. According to my checklist they will probably pick up high profile kidnappings next.

Generally I think the DR is quite safe, little ladrones everywhere, but not many of the kind that will shot you dead over 10 $. Samana maybe a complete different story, my experiences are centered around the major cities. If you pick an isolated spot like Samana, such places also exist in Brazil/Mexico and I doubt criminality is much different.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Oi rapaz, mudamos aqui dois anos atras y eu acho que aqui e' uma coisa bem melhor, mais nao tem trabalho ni um pa' seu trabalho como asim. Eu so gringinho e a mulher e Carioca, papa goiaba. Me manda um PM e a gente fala depois. A gente mora na costa norte. Falamos portugues, ingles e espanol tambem. Boa sorte !! Combinamos si voces quer. A mulher tem saudades pa uma amiga brsileira aqui mesmo. Voces 'ta onde agora?

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
Oi, eu estou morando nos Estados Unidos agora. Parece que a Rep. Dominicana e um bom lugar para morar mas a quest?o da falta de emprego me preocupa. Tal vez no Brasil tem mais oportunidades de emprego. E uma decis?o muito dificil. Eu nao gosto de morar nos Estados Unidos mas como vc ja sabe, aqui nos USA e bom pra trabalhar, muito bom. Mas eu nem sou muito materialista ent?o prefiro um lugar onde eu possa ter uma melhor qualidade de vida mesmo eu ter que viver mais humildemente. Entendo sua esposa deve sentir muita saudade de casa, da sua familia. Tb tenho medu minha namorada se sentir igual se a gente morar ai. Ja fiz pesquisa em varios sites e acho que tal vez sera melhor morar no Brasil, tentar encontrar uma cidade calma e com boas oportunidades de emprego. Muito obrigado pela resposta :)

Oi rapaz, mudamos aqui dois anos atras y eu acho que aqui e' uma coisa bem melhor, mais nao tem trabalho ni um pa' seu trabalho como asim. Eu so gringinho e a mulher e Carioca, papa goiaba. Me manda um PM e a gente fala depois. A gente mora na costa norte. Falamos portugues, ingles e espanol tambem. Boa sorte !! Combinamos si voces quer. A mulher tem saudades pa uma amiga brsileira aqui mesmo. Voces 'ta onde agora?

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Emprego de web design vc ta ferrado aqui, especialmente se nao vai morar na capital ou outra cidade grande. Mesmo na capital seria super difficil. O unico jeito e se vc ja tem clientes internacionais e o mercado local (DR) nao lhe importa.

Tambem deve considerar que aqui os custos de vida sao praticamente iguais aos EUA. Viver na Florida por exemplo acho que ate e um pouco mais barato que aqui. De qualquer forma e muito mais caro que viver no Brasil.

Boa sorte

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
OK guys, this is an English language board, we DON'T speak portuguese, so please stick to ENGLISH. You can use whatever language you want in PM's but please stick to English when posting on the Board. Thank you.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I would say Brazil, or even Mexico, would be better for you. There are plenty of cities in Brazil to choose from.

OK guys, this is an English language board, we DON'T speak portuguese, so please stick to ENGLISH. You can use whatever language you want in PM's but please stick to English when posting on the Board. Thank you.

What's up with the Ban? I don't speak Portuguese but I am having fun reading this aloud and trying to figure out what it says.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Any educated Spanish-speaker can read and understand written Portuguese with ease. If a word is different, you figure it out within the context. To me it is amost like reading Spanish. Now, I know that for English speakers who are learning Spanish, this can be a little confusing. While it is true this is an English language board, the fact is that it was only a short exchange that did no one any harm. I agree wiht Virginia that for Spanish speakers, reading Portuguese can be fun! I don't speak Portuguese and understanding the spoken language is quite different from understanding its written form. This is due to the different sounds and pronunciation, even if the words are similar or, in many cases, the same. But I certainly enjoy reading it.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Translation of my post is that if he wants to survive here on web design he should come with established international clients and not have any illusion of there being a market in the DR market, especially if living outside the capital. Also pointed out that costs of living here are on par with many US locations and way above those in Brasil.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Brazilian Portuguese is easy and fun indeed, what makes it harder then spanish is the huge amount of slang we use. I have been out of there a decade and am totally outdated on new slangs... like "papa goiaba" wtf?

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
tflea replied to my thread in Portuguese so I thought I could have seemed discourteous had I responded to him in English, though I'm aware he's English-speaking. It wasn't my intention to offend anyone and my reply was directed exclusively at him since he had a question for me. Honestly, I find it interesting when an English-speaking person speaks Portuguese. I don't know many who do and it's great to know someone actually put effort into learning it. I guess it's not just me but most Brazilians I've met seem to be impressed by foreigners that can speak Portuguese. Unlike Hispanics, Brazilians are not used to meeting Americans who can speak their language. Well, it's also kinda fun for a Mexican like me to use Portuguese when communicating with an American on this board...:)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Feel free to have an exchange in another language, but please give a translation for those of us that do not know your language.

(And how do you expect this poor moderator to understand everything from Russian through to slangy Brazilian Portugese ;) I've just roughly translated a Dutch article for some 'single languaged' people in Environment - you can try me on Mozambiquan Portugese where I can order beer and Peri-Peri King Prawns fluently .. but enough is enough! Speak but translate, OK! :cheeky:)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Oh Well

Just pm me NewinSantiago and we can cut through some of the blasts. And whomever asked about papa goiba, it's someone who is carioca but from the other side of the bay in Niteroi. The missus in this case. Slangy indeed. E o resto de elhes.....fora jacare! (and for the rest of them, expletive!)

NewinSantiago

May 24, 2005
Just pm me NewinSantiago and we can cut through some of the blasts. And whomever asked about papa goiba, it's someone who is carioca but from the other side of the bay in Niteroi. The missus in this case. Slangy indeed. E o resto de elhes.....fora jacare! (and for the rest of them, expletive!)

Nossa!! I didn't know that "giria"...thanks!!

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Interesting thread.

I lived in Brasil for a couple years, but never in Sao Paolo (which I avoided like the plague!) or Rio. I was in smaller towns in SP state (Ourinhos and Ilhabela),although I spent a lot of time in the northeast, too.

I'm writing this from Sosua, after having spent a couple days in SD first.

I ADORE Brasil. Magnificent people, and all the diversity in both geography and culture one could ever hope for. I left only because I have young sons in Florida, and the monthly commute to see them wore me out.

From my short perspective, seeking out a country to escape crime is an exercise in futility. Crime is in every major city in the planet. But using good common sense, and choosing a second or third-tier city helps a lot.

As to RD - I am still filtering out my impressions. Frankly, Sosua strikes me as expensive and full of fat, bald gringos that make me a little embarrassed to be a gringo. :rolleyes: I'm leaving tomorrow for Cabrera, hoping to find a less touristy atmosphere...