Firearms question

Malory

Jul 27, 2006
Hi
I just took delivery of my Taurus Revolver in 454 Casul

This was shipped to a "friend." a military Officer at San Ysidro and is now legaly licensed with my carry permit (and two pack elephants) and so forth

BEFORE I imported this weapon I failed to do much research, but after reading posts it appears I am not supposed to own a weapon of greater than .44 caliber or a so called "Magnum"

The Taurus is a .454 Caliber XVR or "Extreme Velocity Revolver," but does not say "Magnum." Perhaps this is why it was allowed?

Went to do little plinking today, need to rest my wrist (joking) but was wondering where an Air Force Officer assisted with this, should I anticipate future problems?

The weapon is either in my truck with me or locked in a gun case secured in 4 feet of reinforced concrete with the others

Do you think I really was able to import this simply due to no mention of Magnum and no one thought of the odd caliber as being larger than a.45? (The Taurus will actually chamber the shorter less powerful .45 Colt ACP with addition of half moon clips to hold the cartridges in the Cylinder

Any first hand knowledge would be appreiciated, and if anyone knows a Corbon ammo dealer it would be appreciated. I have 2 hundred rounds but would like to know if I have a potential future source

Thanks

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I thought there was a restriction on import of guns and ammo at this time.

I would hold onto those 200 rounds, you may never be able to get more.
You said someything about you locking the gun up with your others, I also believe there is a limit of two guns allowed per person.

Best you do some checking with a reputable gun dealer and find out the latest laws.

Aguayo

Oct 11, 2003

You said someything about you locking the gun up with your others, I also believe there is a limit of two guns allowed per person.

Best you do some checking with a reputable gun dealer and find out the latest laws.

You can have two hand guns and up to 7 shotguns.
At least that is what says the "Ley de armas" that I was given when I purchased my last handgun, less than one year ago.
Of course, the law may have been already modified.
In fact I have to handguns properly licensed.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Well since this has come up

I have a question,( or two), about purchasing/carrying a handgun in the DR. Can you please explain to me all the requirements to purchase/carry one??? I would like to know about permits to carry, where obtained, what types of gun's may be legal in the DR, where are some of the best places to purchase said gun's and ammo and approx. prices thereof??? Thanks very much for your time and any information you pass along will be appreciated. :squareeye

Malory

Jul 27, 2006
How long have you known your 'friend'?

Hi Lambada"

Many many years? (15+) since he was a Colonel in an exchange program for pilots in the US.

Are you asking this as to our "friendship" or his status in the hierarchy? I guess both would be relevant, I have absolutely no question about his loyalty and he answers to only about 4 people at San Ysidro

Malory

Jul 27, 2006

Hi Santiago DR;

It seems the more "knowledgeable" officials and dealers I check with in the DR, the sum of the different answers I receive multiplies :-(

I have not experienced any problems obtaining 12 gauge slugs, 00 12 gauge .22 rimfire and 9mm parabellum through "friends" in the country, but the 454 Casul is sort of an exotic round and I wanted to find an avenue as I have not yet searched

I have read on this forum that civilians are not supposed to own a .45, I suppose that would also pertain to the purchase of .45ACP and .45 Long Colt ammo which I could use for target shooting as they are actually much more "comfortable" to shoot and invariably less expensive

I was hoping someone on this forum may have first hand experience

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Question?

As a gringo What kind of trouble could one be faced with if caught with an illegal gun in D.R.?

How much do I have to pay?

Who should I pay?

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Hi Santiago DR;

It seems the more "knowledgeable" officials and dealers I check with in the DR, the sum of the different answers I receive multiplies :-(

I have not experienced any problems obtaining 12 gauge slugs, 00 12 gauge .22 rimfire and 9mm parabellum through "friends" in the country, but the 454 Casul is sort of an exotic round and I wanted to find an avenue as I have not yet searched

I have read on this forum that civilians are not supposed to own a .45, I suppose that would also pertain to the purchase of .45ACP and .45 Long Colt ammo which I could use for target shooting as they are actually much more "comfortable" to shoot and invariably less expensive

I was hoping someone on this forum may have first hand experience

I hope you havent got a license and you get caught before your arms are stolen by ladrones. You should keep your sh.. firearms when you came from

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com

There are new tough restrictions, thank goodness, pressie is controlling imports of guns and ammo, which is causing a shortage and high prices. I hope it continues, but then you have idiots like some on here that are illegally importing their own - THIS puts us all at risk because of these would be Jessie James.

Sep 19, 2005
yeah lady bird like some gringo owning a 454 casull chambered revolver is going to cause you any issues!...PPPUUUULease....you got a whole truck load of problems to deal with before you got to worry about what a gringo is doing withan odd caliber handgun in the DR!!!!!
You cant see the forrest for the trees....you have been brainwashed into thinking SOMETHING is bad.....that handgun that can sit there in the closet is such an evil thing and one night it is gonna walk out of their on its own and get you!!!

sorry for the rant folks, but the antis just have a blind mindest and could care less about facts!

to the OP.. the only reason you got the gun 'legally" is because the military are exempt from the 9MM dia restrictions....how it got assigned to you leaglly..is black magic.... and it is entirely possible that you will lose that right at some point , when your friend retires.....Possible....

ammo will be so unbelievably exspensive these days with the president decree....because of the few people( if any) that have that caliber gun and have asked for ammo from their dealers will have bought most of it already.
where there is no demand there is no supply ..usually

I am sure the ammo can be brought in ...hook or crook. especially via the same way the gun came in.

thin gis if you get into a bind and pull that baby out in your defense...and something happens to even a bad guy....flags will fly as to HOW YOU have that gun!!!!

if you keep your nose clean and us it for fun only...you may live a long prosperous life yet.

and lastly how heavy your buddy is and how long he stays that way, and you friends with him...makes all the difference in the world as to the amount of heat you could take for that caliber.

my buddy got a "special' disposition on a unlicensed handgun after he shot someone at a riot in the street trying to burn his car.....it took a friend connected to hipolito to get him out of the mess and get his pistol licensed at the same time...well all that "specialness" dissolved when he went out of office....and he had to go get it the regular way after that.

good luck and good shooting

bob

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I was in a gun shop in Santiago today. They are selling 9mm ammo for 1900RD for a box of 50. Of course you need a license to purchase.

Malory

Jul 27, 2006
Hi

Thanks to all of you who replied

The weapons have the same registrations and I have the same permits as other friends who have .38's, Colt 380's and so forth. I was just curious if anyone had information of calibers that were not specifically designated as "Magnum" or .45 were somehow legal via a loophole in the law?

I have shown the Taurus to the Police Chef and several Officers in San Pedro and they had no problem and asked if they could fire it, we will make arrangements

I was sort of taken aback by Ladybird's response, but then I read some of her past posts and understand that she has "issues," maybe even penis envy at not finding a harbor deep enough to dock her Battleship or runway long enough for her Gulfstream? It takes all kinds

The Taurus is always safely locked away from your Ladrones Ms Bird, the 12 Gauge is for unwanted visitors that intrude past the alarm systems, steel shutter sset in concrete, concertina wire and well trained Dobermans. I dont' anticipate using it in that manner ever

Thanks again all

LOCAITO BLANCITO

Apr 2, 2007
Has anyone ever Imported a gun from AMERICA I have a nice collection here, And would like to find out how to get 2 of them it into DR following the rules. And getting a license to carry.

thanks
loco

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Please post note on forehead....

There are new tough restrictions, thank goodness, pressie is controlling imports of guns and ammo, which is causing a shortage and high prices. I hope it continues, but then you have idiots like some on here that are illegally importing their own - THIS puts us all at risk because of these would be Jessie James.

Thanks Ladybird,

If the situation ever arises where I can defend and protect someone
from "grave bodily harm and/or death",

I will be sure to ask them first if they are "for or against guns"
before I decide whether to help them or not..........

I sure the hell would not want to offend some idiot who is anti-gun,
by putting myself at RISK in an attempt to help and protect them.

Tell you what, I will be kind enought to call the police to come help them instead.

PS: I am a retired Police Officer with a legal permit to carry a gun in the DR / U.S.

OUCH! I should have bought more rounds of ammo before the great price increase, maybe after "Pressie" (How cute Ladybird), leaves office in August 2008, the prices will come back to normal.

BTW Ladybird, Pressie does not need a gun because he is SURROUNDED
by many, many people WITH GUNS, protecting him..... :confused:

Don SantiagoDR