Puerto Plata Malecon and Long Beach

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
it looks pretty bad, but there is a way out...

Remember the 'refurbishment' of the beach and laying of new sand etc. last year? As a result of the torrential rains some of it isn't there any more. Pictures here, scroll down:
Puerto Plata Digital

Article here:
.: Periódico El Faro • Edición Digital :.

I remember the weekend of the inauguration and Leonel's speech. I was impressed with how well the project turned out, beginning with the sidewalks and roadways along the malecon being changed into a showplace. This is bad news about the rain damage. The good part is, as I remember it, the deal with the experienced beach building company is there is a guarantee of several decades. The beach is supposed to withstand this sort of natural erosion, or be rebuilt.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I don't think the minister's inattention changes the guarantee

Yes I thought so too but see the last sentence in the El Faro piece :rolleyes: . Another pic here:
Bienvenidos Puerto Plata Digital

El Faro does not appear to be politically oriented toward the PLD. Anyway, I don't think I remember any "force majeure" type exclusions being mentioned when the guarantee was described in the press at the time of the inauguration. I would need to see the contracts, but the Felucho quote suggests such an exclusion could exist. I can think of exactly 70 million reasons why signing off on a natural disaster limitation to the guarantee would not have been wise.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
It may also have washed out all the garbage people leave on the beach by Sunday night. I passed by Long Beach (I live nearby) and the sand was not really an issue but all the garbage left behind.
It's interesting, you would think that all the people who come down to these beaches every weekend from as far as away as Navarette and Santiago would appreciate finding them nice again next weekend too... Sadly a lot don't seem able to draw that analogy... rather blame it on ineffective governments.

:(

... J-D.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
It's called ignorance,they are ony concerned with how clean thier,motos,cars and houses are,as far as anything else they couldn't give a sheet.l

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It's called ignorance,they are ony concerned with how clean thier,motos,cars and houses are,as far as anything else they couldn't give a sheet.l
Well 'ignorance' got cleaned up by the fire department two weeks ago & all the bags it was collected in (as seen on the Malecon on the Tuesday after the weekend visits) was picked up by ayuntamiento & taken off to the local tip. I understand this is a standard weekly duty for the bomberos station now.

For those who might not realise it, the beach in question is at SEA LEVEL!!!! There has been quite a lot of flooding this last few days & as a result, loads of rubbish has been washed down from the higher ground, barrios, local higher roads etc ........... things like rubbish (not nailed down) tend to get swept DOWN hill during flash storms. As it rained so heavily in Puerto Plata over the weekend, I doubt there were many visitors to the beach - especially from townships of 25 miles or more away!!

I appreciate it was wrong of the firefighters not to spend Monday & Tuesday doing their normal clean up of beach routine ................ maybe they were busy cleaning up some barrios, unclogging drains, clearing water from shops & homes & other 'ignorant' things like that?

Have some thought as to what has been happening here on the north coast for the past few days P L E A S E!!!!!!!! People come before garbage especially when the garbage is only unsightly - not preventing owners from living in their own houses! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I passed by Long Beach (I live nearby) and the sand was not really an issue but all the garbage left behind. J-D.

J-D did you also pass by barrios Bello Costero and Padre Granero, the ones immediately behind Long Beach? Well you wouldn't have 'passed' so much as waded since many of the homes contained more than 2 foot of water last weekend. Not only did their rubbish float away, so did their clothing, furniture, puppies etc.

Personally, I'd be very hard pressed to distinguish between the rubbish left by beachgoers the previous weekend and the stuff which sailed out of the barrios at a grand rate of knots during the storm and the following 2 days when rain runoff from higher ground also descended.

Photos were posted on this thread:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/61160-hope-everyone-ok.html#post503657

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yes, I did try to venture toward that direction... but could not reach all the way in because of the problem you mention... ONE of the reasons being that somebody (or organization) had laid sand sacks in the big outlet to prevent the water from getting out of that corner thru the beach (probably in order to protect the sand).
I agree with you and others that la gente goes before sand and garbage. Part of my garbage mention was to say that much of what gets broken here will get broken again... mostly with the help of those later on affected (dirty beaches) or the wrong and at time, for other sectors disastrous countermeasures trying to save a less important asset (EG... (dirty) sand).
What I apparently failed to explain with my little garbage post clearly was that it is not RAIN that is creating this mess (not the garbage), losses and suffering, but PEOPLE.
Yes, we should come up with ideas to help them out now, instead of feeling sorry for sand but most of all the right help would be to come up with solutions so when the real rain season comes around (an it will come), they won't loose it all over again.
And we could all live in peace and worry about beaches and sand.... and garbage.
... J-D.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Has anyone thought that there might be a rason why there was no sand on that "beach". Nature has a way of establishing and removing beacches. Why do we think we can do a better job then nature. It has happened quicker then I thought, but it was only a matter of time before she would reclaim wha was hers to begin with.

Bob K