Luperon Tourist Highway

Status
Not open for further replies.

meirie365

Feb 23, 2007
"Luperon Tourist Highway between Santiago and Puerto Plata was cut by landslides, halting all transit."

Is the highway clear? :paranoid:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The road from Montellano to Santiago (the winding mountain road) was cut in two by craters appearing in road - they're working on it. Yesterday we heard they have the Air Force up there to control road closure. Pics here:
Puerto Plata Digital

The Navarrete-PP road had a lot of water on it and landslides in some places. They're working on that, too. As far as I'm aware transit is difficult in places but I don't think they've closed this road completely (I stand to be corrected though by anyone trying to get through who couldn't ;) ). More pics:
Puerto Plata Digital

Puerto Plata Digital

I really wouldn't advise even trying this route unless your journey is essential. There was more rain last night, even now as I type. It could be a very frustrating journey. Sorry I can't give on the spot info but I'm not going there to take a look because I'd just add to the problems.

Sep 19, 2005
what day did you read that?

there are two OTHER ways to get to Poerto plata from santiago...the lueperon highway( route 25 correct?) is the worst in my opinion anyway...route 5 and route 21 take you to you destination...with route 5 being the best even if all the traffic that was taking the highway that was blocked....

bob

MGoss

Mar 28, 2007
is that the highway that we would have taken to get from Cabarete to the Santiago airport?

Sep 19, 2005
is that the highway that we would have taken to get from Cabarete to the Santiago airport?

well i dont know how anyione could know which road of three you took...but if I was going from cabarete to santiago..I would take route 21...which wasnt named in the previous post where the link to the paper was given.

but I am sure if you were taking a bus from cabarete to santiago...they probably would use the Navarette-Puerto plate route mentioned earlier, where there seems to be some issues as reported in that post.

if you are taking a private car or rent your own, you might have taken route 21 ..and while I havent seem any info on that rouad it is also very mountainous, and as such would be suseptable to the same kinds of landslides....although I dont remember but one or two old landslide scars on that route...

good luck

bob

MGoss

Mar 28, 2007
haha, shows how much I know, I thought there was only one way... thank you for the very insightful information. The road we were on was from the villa manager pick-up and now that you mention it, he did say there was a way through the mountains, but it was too dark and he did not trust it. The road we took was very busy and lots of beautiful mountains and had a beauiful ball field built in the moutains by one of the professional ball players. We just loved this country and the people and hope everyone is ok. Thanks for the information, googling the maps now!

Sep 19, 2005
I am pretty sure the route with the ballfield built into the side of the mountain right on the road...is the route 5 route from Puerto Plata to navarette-...which is the way the big buses would go....it is longer but with less as steep inclines on the road.....

that is one of the route the other poster mentioned has some issue...but probably because of the extra traffic....in addition to possible landslide of its own.

bob

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just went to Santiago and back from Sosua today. I took the mountain road #21 from Sabaneta. I made it to Santiago in one hour and twenty five minutes with no problems. One hour and twenty back.

For those who need directions:

Take the mountain road #21 at Sabaneta. When it ends, go left towards Moca. (You can go right towards Santiago at this crossing, but the road is bad and not recommended).

After about five minutes you will come to a crossing after a Texaco station on your left. Make a right turn and just go straight, in about twenty minutes you will be on Duarte in the center of town.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Last evening I took the highway from Puerto Plata to Santiago via Navarette - there are a few bad spots but the road is open! It was slow going a couple of times but other then that - business as usual.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The winding road from Puerto Plata (Montellano) to Santiago has now been re-opened. So both roads operational although main highway (via Imbert) has some traffic congestion. If you're going from Costamber to PP it's quicker via the barrios (coming out near the port).
Puerto Plata Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.