Donations For Flood Victims

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A number of people have contacted me wanting to donate help to victims of recent floods. Some of you may already know of Bob Hildreth and Project Las Americas.
Objective

Currently they are buying beds and mosquito netting for those who lost all their bedroom stuff in the floods. US$100 will buy a complete bed set including netting but donations of any size are welcome as are donations of clothing.

This Foundation IS registered in US & anyone making donations can offset such donations against taxes. The Foundation is registered in the US under the 501{3}c - details on website. All external donations go direct to those in need as Foundation directors cover admin costs themselves.

Bob Hildreth can be e-mailed at Agua@volcris.com or PLA@volcris.com
His Tel No. is 1 809 586 6516 (this is his work office - Compra Venta Antonio). He speaks English and Spanish. Donations from outside DR (Cheques, cash or clothing etc) should be sent via Business Mail in Miami:
Project Las Americas (BM 3-00043)
3508 NW 114 Av
Doral, Florida 33178
For those who live here Bob Hildreth is in Puerto Plata & can be located at Compra Venta Antonio.

Please, I don't want this to be seen in any way as detracting from any other charitable donations people are currently making via DR1. DR1'ers have big hearts & can handle more than one issue at a time :) .

On behalf of the very damp barrio dwellers: a BIG thank you.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Really needed

Thank you so much Ginnie for posting this, I called home to the DR a few hours ago and found many in Sosua Abajo and Marianetta had found alternative sleeping space in a few places, but things are bad for many families. It broke my heart as Im still here sick. I'll do what I can but please keep this post ACTIVE everyone so as many people as possible can donate what they can. I tried to advise families last time they were flooded to stock up on home made sandbags to stop the water getting in, but when its really heavy theres not much they can do in their poor little homes.
I feel really really sorry for them, they have little enough as it is without this.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is going to make people angry but please don't let it stop you from helping. In barrio El Javillar some of the people who managed to rescue a few of their electrical possessions are now suffering an added problem - looters. :mad: As if they didn't have enough to worry about........... This is why people insist on staying in areas when Civil Defence wants to evacuate them because they're worried they'll come back to nothing.
Puerto Plata Digital

And for those with friends living in Luperon, specifically the areas of Mart?n Alonzo, Novillero, Las Landras, Barranc?n and Los Caimon?es - the bridge went yesterday as the river rose so they're cut off. So don't worry if you don't hear from them for a while.
Puerto Plata Digital

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree Lambada, it will anger people. BUT please don't let it stop you from helping - all help is needed.

As to the looters - they should be dealt with harshly!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I would like to help out as well.

My question is should I be sending US funds (money order) or can I just send a Canadian cheque. What is preferred?

Lambada - I think it is so wonderful that you are always there to help those in need. I understand that, even without a tragedy, that you help wherever you can on any given day of the week.

I sure do hope that those living in the DR, or those who frequent the country step up and do their part as well. You are a fantastic role model for all the ex-pats, and I do hope that others will follow in your footsteps.

Marlie

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I would like to help out as well.

My question is should I be sending US funds (money order) or can I just send a Canadian cheque. What is preferred?

Marlie
H' Marlie.
The 'Old Girl' is out at the moment but I can answer this question.
Bob can accept & get exchanged any form of payment made with 'Hard Currency' - I think Canadian Dollars still fall into that category!!;) Send him cheques, travelers cheques, bank credits/money orders or whatever - it WILL get exchanged & used very quickly (the problems/needs are NOW for the flood victims).

& stop already with all the compliments to her please - you will get her to the stage where she will be expecting me to follow suit if you carry on & that would never do ............... (or happen!:pirate: !). ~ Grahame.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
& stop already with all the compliments to her please - you will get her to the stage where she will be expecting me to follow suit if you carry on & that would never do ............... (or happen! !). ~ Grahame.

LOL - Oh Grahame, still the old badger !!! You are just jealous because I left you out when I was talking about all the good deeds she does. I know that you are right beside her in all of this as well as all the other wonderful things you two take on! Sorry for leaving your name out!

I also know that you not giving her compliments is a bunch of malarchy! ;)

In all seriousness, though, thank you for taking the time to reply so quickly. I am writing out the cheque right now. I hope many others are as well:bunny:

Marlie

Oh, just thought about it - should the cheque be made out to Bob or Project Las Americas?

Last edited:

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Hey Lambada if you or anyone else knows Bob Hildreth maybe it could be suggested to him that he or the company set up a Paypal account. It would be a lot easier and convient. People might be more apt to donate if it's that easy.-- One stop shopping--so to speak. --Not only for this but for the program in general.

I know Paypal doesn't operate in the DR but it could be done out of the Florida address.

Just a suggestion.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Message from Bob Hildreth

'Yesterday we visited 100 families affected in Aguas Negras and delivered house to house mosquito netting and rice. We also were able to donate several boxes of medicine donated by the Rotary Club Puerto Plata Isabel de Torres which participated in the distribution as well.

Apart for the normal poverty in this barrio the bedding situation for nearly
everyone is deplorable. People have put cardboard and plastic on top of
their wet mud filled matresses to sleep. Raw sewage is visable in many
parts of the barrio.

We will assure every cent gets to the most needy of these nice folks.

Bob'

Aguas Negras is a somewhat aptly named (!!) barrio in Puerto Plata. Bob sent photos which I've sent to Chris, the Moderator, for posting since I seem to end up with very small ones when I try.

Bob is asking people NOT to send clothing or materials because shipping costs mean it's cheaper to buy stuff in flea market here. Plus they don't have storage capacity. But donations in cash/cheques are welcome & much needed.

Thank you 2LeftFeet for your suggestion. I've passed it on.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Pics.

xx-1.jpg

1sem_despues_inundac__2_-1.jpg

1sem_despues_inundac__3_-1.jpg

1sem_despues_inundac__4_-1.jpg

1sem_despues_inundac__5_-1.jpg

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Hey Lambada if you or anyone else knows Bob Hildreth maybe it could be suggested to him that he or the company set up a Paypal account. It would be a lot easier and convient. People might be more apt to donate if it's that easy.-- One stop shopping--so to speak. --Not only for this but for the program in general.

I know Paypal doesn't operate in the DR but it could be done out of the Florida address.

Just a suggestion.

Very very risky, have you seen the number of lawsuits against Paypal recently, there are now so many on line frauds concerning their name, I am very careful with my CC info but someone even managed through paypal to purchase from EBAY with my details. I have never purchased with EBAY!!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Ladybird-

Since paypal is a non-issue at this time - let us not dwell on this. Bringing negatives into this thread will possibly deter people from donating to this very worthy cause, which would be an utter shame.

Like Grahame said, Project Las Americas is accepting all forms of payment such as money orders, cheques etc. at this time, so let us focus on that.

Time is of the essence - let us all do our part NOW.

Marlie

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Fantastic

Great to see that help is being given to those who need it, its all great talking about what a fantastic island the DR is but even better to see people really showing how much they care for the country and its people! Great work everyone! xx