Canadian Drowned

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGoss

Mar 28, 2007
So sad. Near the place we were staying at in Cabarete, someone with too much to drink had to be saved as well. It was just a close call.
My heart goes out to his family.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
M'frog,

Can you keep us posted if it shows up in any newspapers etc., as I just checked various online newspapers here in Canada and nothing is being reported. Did this just happen today?

Marlie

Nerdalie29

Mar 13, 2007
My dad had a heart attack and drowned in the ocean in Cabarete last month while we were on a family vacation (some vacation). We are from Canada, and there was nothing in local papers. There were articles in DR papers. If you google the person's name you'll find something.

My heart goes out to the families who lose loved ones, particularily while on vacation. It's certainly not easy. It's been over a month for me and I'm still looking for answers from the DR.

Despite this tragedy, I still look forward to going back to my dad's favorite vacation spot one day.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thank you, m'frog.

Nerdalie29 - My sincerest condolences on the loss of your father and having to endure such a tragic time while on vacation.

Marlie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nerdalie29 : I read about your tragic loss. I lost my grandfather the same way many years ago and there is still a hollow spot. Our most sincere condolences.

HB & Clan

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Despite this tragedy, I still look forward to going back to my dad's favorite vacation spot one day.
And I am sure "your Dad's favourite vacation spot" looks forward to welcoming you back too Nerdalie. You sound like a girl with guts & determination that has a resolve to "Get on with life".

Although we can obviously not replace your Father, WELCOME to your new found additional family ....... DR1. ~ Grahame.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Nerdalie29, I am so sorry to hear what happened to your dad. Please accept my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Nerdalie29

Mar 13, 2007
Hi Lambada,

Yes, we were staying at the Azzuro Hotel.

You reported it on this site? I would love to see your report.

Thank you!

Mackey

Feb 25, 2007
I was at the Luperon Beach Resort when the Canadian drowned last week, and it was awful. The ocean was crazy that day with waves bigger than I had ever seen in my life. The man and his friend were kayaking when it happened and the water kept pulling them out further and further until they couldn't get back. It's an absolute tragedy when anything like this happens, and it should remind all of us to respect the ocean and it's strenth at all times.

Most people stayed out of the ocean for the remainder of the week, as the red flags were up, and of course we had all heard what happened. My condolences to this family and to anyone who has been struck by this type of tragedy...

orzel67

Apr 10, 2007
Well i arrived at luperon beach resort on march 31st heard about a drowning and scratched my head and ignored it .We where 3 /40 year old guys on a 1 week trip for some r&r.We ended up going kayaking into the waves all flipped over and got rescued pretty fast by very angry domonicans since we got rescued that fast we ignored the danger.next day we went snorkling in the same place my 2 friends where going too far so i decided to go back to shore but soon realised that it was a struggle ,the current wich was not apparent was pulling me oway farther out .so i started to paddle with more force but started to get tired .I was stuck in a rip tide and couldn't do much and on that day for the rest of the week there was no supervision due to easter holidays so i was on my own .I swear i stopped paddling calmed down looked at the bottom and asked god if this was my last day to do it but if it wasn't to get me back to shore .so i started swimming parallel to the shore and what seamed like an eternity somehow got away from the pulling waters and made it to shore .my friends who got back to shore where looking for me and where puzzled on how i ended up so far away on the beach and when i told them what has happened they laughed .So here it is ,even with all the warnings in the world ,if it doesn't happen to you you'll never listen .I'm thankful for my life and happy to see my wife and kids today.5 days after this happened.I'll be struggling with this one for sometime.
Steve

Last edited:

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Playa Grande

Playa Grande is a beautiful beach, but the surf is rough. In the times that I've been there, there are never many people. There is another beach closer to Rio San Juan called Caliton, and the water there is very calm. I recommend that beach if you want to go swimming.

Evelyn McGuire

Jan 5, 2008
Canadian woman drowns

Hi there, I am also searching for any information on this couple. There is virtually no Canadian news posted online. I think I know the family. If anyone has any details, please share. I would appreciate it.

Evelyn McGuire

Jan 5, 2008
Canadian Drowned January 4th

Hello, I am trying to find out more information as I think we know the family but there is no local news yet. Would you have anymore information to share?

You obviously did a search about Canadian drownings and found this thread it is old, the one you a re looking for took place in Punta Cana a few days ago.
Tragic but things happen all over the world, press puts everything totally out of proportion because it happened in a supposed pardise location.

Thread closed

Last edited by a moderator:

Frisky

Jan 4, 2008
Canadian drowned

The man was from vancouver canada. He whent to help another man who was in truble. The man from vancouver got cought by an under current and was not able to make it back to shore. His freinds and family from canada have been helping with the recovery of the mans body. His girlfriend watched in horror as he got pulled out to sea. The man the canadian was trying to save made it to shore safly though. The poor guy lost his life being a hero IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.