Going back to where it all started - re:Anthony Santos

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
My parents came to the US in the 60's, my siblings were born in the DR and I was born in the US. Because my parents came to the US we had our 3 meals a day. There are so many families in the DR, in the campos, in the small pueblos, in the cities that go hungry, parents who can't afford to give their kids a piece of bread before school, and if they have something is a piece of boil plantain or hard yuca with coffee. I watched this video on youtube of Anthony Santos where he goes back to this beautiful green place where he grew up, and its touching to see this man remembering how his father would go out looking for work in the fields. He says many times the day would go by and they had nothing to eat and they would see their father go out everyday to see if he would find something to bring back.

When I go back to the DR now, many times I forget that this is how my parents neighbors still live, day to day, "echando dia" "working day by day inthe fields" with no fixed salary, in the campo. Many of the young men and women go into the cities looking for better lives.

Our lives are so much easier in the US, Europe, Canada, is true its a totally different life, we live fast, we don't have those wonderful connections with neighbors, we don't have that wonderful tropical breeze and that warm sun but we have so many opportunities. I am always thankful that my father took a chance and headed to the US, but going back to that same little piece of land where my parents started their lives together brings back so many beautiful memories.

here's the video enjoy :cheeky:
YouTube - Antony Santos - Entrevista Junto a su papa

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i just found this one a few days ago.

I dunno...not a great song...but i like the video for some reason. it starts off in a classy SD club...and quickly soakes up real life in the streets of SD...and ends up with some images of families on their motos. I dunno. Its just a nice folksy vid. hope someone enjoys it.

YouTube - Antony Santos - Me Voy A Morir