Goodies besides tips

Redtop

Mar 19, 2007
Hi guys,

We just got back from Mexico and were told that the locals love chocolate and that it is hard to come by so we brought tons of it with us to tip along with money. They loved it and we loved how excited everyone was. We want to do something similar on our trip to the DR. Can anyone recommend what would be a treat for the locals?

Thanks!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I always bring a bunch of inexpensive MLB Baseball hats and get a lotta' smiles.

Victoria's Secret also goes a long way.

tam' bored

BigRich

Mar 31, 2007
T-Shirts

I brought T-shirts the last time that I went there. It was right after the 4th of July and the USA ones were $1. They love getting something to wear. People put them on immediately. And it has some significance of the place from whence I come. I found it gratifying.

Hi guys,

We just got back from Mexico and were told that the locals love chocolate and that it is hard to come by so we brought tons of it with us to tip along with money. They loved it and we loved how excited everyone was. We want to do something similar on our trip to the DR. Can anyone recommend what would be a treat for the locals?

Thanks!

C

Chip00

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Here they like the green stuff, but will take pesos. I honestly don't knowof anything that is relatively inexpensive back home that people really like here.

Also, often when I have work done on my house I will usually give the guy a beer or a small bottle of rum that cost RD50-90.

Also, tipping here doesn't have to be a lot. Search the forums hre in DR1 for tipping advice. On the coast the locals "expect" a lot more but here in Santiago a tip of RD20 is the norm for a lot of things.

Also, most of the nice restaurants automatically take out 10% of the bill for the tip and the restaurants that don't do this the tipping varies with many Dominicans not tipping at all and others somewhat less than 10%.