Salaries for Educated/Professional Workers in DR

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I know there is a thread for salaries in DR, but most are for non-educated workers. I would like to know what a person would make in the following positions:

1. Doctor
2. Lawyer
3. Teacher at private School
4. Engineer
5. Computer Tech
6. College Professor

Add any of you can think of some. Thanks.;)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Nurse in better hospital in Santo Domingo (graduate with degree) - RD$6000
(to think my maid makes that!!!!)
College professor (sorry I don't know which one in SD) RD$7500.
Draftsman (for kitchen manufacturer) designing kitchen layouts and supervising construction and installation in SD RD$10,000

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
To get that into U$D divide by 32.5 (just under 1/3rd) .......................... but don't despair too much, that is per MONTH, not per annum!!! :ermm: :cheeky:

A lawyer will earn what he feels he can get away with (plus LOADS of perks of course)
~ Grahame

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
The elite in the DR and other Latin countries does earn a lot more then that, quite often above the standard salaries of similar positions in Europe/USA. Not all half-mill-dollar penthouses in SD are owned by drug dealers and not all jipetas belong to politicians.

These are however not jobs posted in the newspaper and not open to "outsiders of the class", be it foreigners or dominicans. These are usually the critical "captain" positions right below the business owners. The size of this elite that makes above 5k U$/month I estimate at 2% of the population max. The remaining rich own land/born rich.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Depens on the Area

It really depends where you are working in this country.
In Bavaro Punta Cana for example you pay at least US$1,500 and more for a bilingual secretary or US$2,000 for an office manager, for less than that you won't find really qualified and motivated employees.
And I mean REALLY qualified.
I think that doctors and engineers make more money here than in Santo Domingo.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Drs. and dentists with a largely foreign clientele make good $$$ as they charge in American $$.
Business owners make very good money (think supermarkets,cement factoeries,ferreteria's, anything that supplies comsumer goods).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I know private school teachers that earn between RD$15,000 and RD$55,000 per month. All depends on your experience, who you know etc etc.

Computer tech: RD$10-20,000 per month (depends on skill level etc)

You are never going to be able to get a true handle on wages here, they are all over the place, unless you are talking about free zones or domestic help. You have doctors here earning RD$25,000 per month in public clinics and overs making US$500,000+ per year in private clinics.

They only way to make "real" money as a foreigner here is by being self employed. Be your own boss, build your business your way etc etc.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You can find all types of jobs with the salaries listed on the Aldaba website. It will shock you but it is realistic. Remember that the salaries listed are monthly pay and not weekly. In Pesos not Dollars.
DR1 classified section sometimes has job postings with decent salary offers. I recall one that I applied for that was paying over $100 grand a year. Too bad the company never did start in the DR after all. I do know of a couple of other people who were hired for US companies for over $100 grand. One of those was advertised here on DR1. So it is possible but not the norm. The best way to find a decent job in the DR is to be there and network or to find a US company who does business there. Or as Robert stated you could work for yourself and build your company slow but sure.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I am amazed that a U.S. company would pay such a high rate of pay for work in the DR.
I am sure there are some but must be just a handful to pay over 100k/yr.

Self employment is the only way to go to make any decent money for an ex-pat or probably for a local Dominicano as well.

The local 'pic a pollo' in Maranatha sells some great food and probably sells over 60 meals a day from 60 to 100 pesos a meal.
Not bad. Very impressed with their hard work.
Course she's there all day each day.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
jrf... those high paying jobs were one year contracts to either set up a business and one was to set up the ISO quality manuals for a major US corp. I doubt if there are many long term employment offers for that kind of wage.