Where are the nice small beach towns

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am looking to find a new area to spend my time in the DR. Where are some of the nice, non gated community style, towns left to live? I am not looking to spend US prices for a regular lifestyle. I like the beach, a good mix of locals and expats from all over the world, quiet days in the sun, dancing and socializing at night.
I was thinking maybe Azua or someplace between La Romana and Punta Cana in the East.
Is this at all possible now in the DR or should I look at another island altogether?

gonzalez

Mar 25, 2007
hi there I have just purchased a house in Luperon. I know quite a few of the locals and have many friends there. maybe not everyones cup of tea but I love it there.
and the house was very inexpensive

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions. Luperon and Samana have been mentioned to me before. I will need to learn more about them. Where is Margarita Island?

passion

Feb 24, 2007
i know margarita island is very touristic and so many gringo's there.i dont think so is there inexpensive now...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Margarita Island will cost you more than the DR for buying or renting living quarters. But you will pay less for most other things. Gas is about 27 cents a gallon. Of course you can go all over the Island on a few gallons, so you won't use that much fuel.

Also Margarita is like living in the desert compared to the DR. Not very green at all like we have in the DR. For my money, the DR is better hands down.

Feb 7, 2007
East Coast

On the East Coast, between La Romana and Punta Cana, you will find:

La Romana
Bayahibe
Higuey
La Otra Banda
Beron
Bavaro/Punta Cana
and some other small villages
(administratively speaking, La Otra Banda, Beron, Bavaro, Punta Cana, and all between are all suburbs of the city of Higuey)

Out of these places, Higuey, Otra Banda, Beron, do not have beaches.
La Romana is bigger than Higuey, but I know many people who do not like Romana (it's more snobby). In Higuey, there's where all the "east coast money" is. Every employee, owner, contractor, director, etc of anything that has to do with tourism/hotels on the east coast, lives in Higuey.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I don't know of many or any beach towns in the sense that you are probably looking for. On the east starting from SD is Boca Chica (big, old, crowded, rotten some may say), then Juan Dolio (also old, but some new developments may become real nice again), then there is Cumayasa (spelling), not seen the actual beach. Romana, then Bayahibe (some housing development besides the Hotels going on there recently). Then from all I know comes a long nothing all the way to Cap Cana. Dunno if there aren't any beaches from Bayahibe all the way to Cap Cana, but there certainly aren't any real exits to them from the main highway. Anyone knows more?

B

batich

i know margarita island is very touristic and so many gringo's there.i dont think so is there inexpensive now...

Many gringos and tourists - correct! But not NA gringos and tourists!

I guess you know the difference.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Las Galeras out at the end of the Samana peninsula is still a nice small beach town with some night life. It is not as touristy as many seaside communities are but more oriented toward residential living. This end of the peninsula is still relatively undeveloped as compared to other parts of the north coast.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Bayahibe's great for a sleepy beach town (apart from the marina area, which is mad with people trying to get to Isla Saona). With the national park a short way off to the south, hopefully the area will remain relatively untouched for a while.

passion

Feb 24, 2007
yeah i hear very nice thought about bayahibe,know is it posibble to rent a flat there only one room for a single and how much is cost?