Stuck Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
Last week a barge and a tug boat ran aground on Confresi Beach, we had to leave before they were able to free them. I was just wondering if they have done so yet? If so does anyone know how they were able to do it?:ermm:

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
It is still there. They are having to bring a Super Tug boat from Florida to move the barge and tug boat. They have drained the fuel from the tug boat to prevent possible issues.

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
Wow, that has got to be expensive, Does the boat or barge belong to the Dominican Republic government or does it belong do an individual company? Who will have to pay for the super tug? Just curious.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Also posted in the other thread on this issue

I have been involved in the salvage operations of the tug and barge since the occurrence of this casualty. Our response team was on its way to the site even before the tug's insurers were notified and since then we have been working in coordination with them and the authorities to minimise the risks of pollution and contamination. I can't go into many details at this stage however I can say that our response team was on site very shortly after the occurrence, and we had deployed an emergency crew on board the tug plus our anti pollution equipment, materials and manpower were in place at Cofresi Beach the following day.

Those of you who have been watching the activities on the beach will have seen that an anti oil spill boom was positioned around the tug to contain any leakage of fuel, oils, oily water and other possible contaminants. Representatives of international salvage companies were on site the following (Friday) morning and reinforced on Saturday.

Arrangements were made with the authorities (Marina de Guerra), and contingency plans were made with delicate local facilities particularly Ocean World and others.

The emergency crew we placed on board the tug secured all loose stores, garbage and potential contaminants, pumped water from the engine room into other compartments on the tug whilst collecting and securing oily water during that operation. Fuel - marine diesel oil, was transferred from tanks under the water line of the tug to secure tanks above the water line to avoid risk of the lower tanks breaching.

The next week will see the commencement of operations to refloat the tug and remove her from the beach under tow to a repair facility. Of course, all precautions will be taken to protect the delicate environment during this process.

The barge contains inert building materials only, it has no means of propulsion and therefore does not present any contamination risks.

Weather permitting the tug and barge will be off the beach without too much delay and in the meantime you can rest assured that the tug's insurers are taking a very responsible position with regard to the whole issue and have been doing so with our assistance and coordination since early last Thursday afternoon.

I'll be happy to discuss this further either on the forum or in PM's with any of you who would like to do so.

I'll be posting further updates as we move forward.

Bryan

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
This sounds like a similar situation to the ship that was stuck in Santo Domino a few yeasr back. That ship was sitting there for what seemed like a year. I'm not sure how they ever got it removed.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
any word on how they are making out with the tug and barge

Well, the past week has seen preparations made by the salvage company working on behalf of the boats' owners and their insurance company. Most of the equipment needed will be on site tomorrow and by Thursday you should be seeing some progress made.

So far the main concern has been preventing any pollution from the fuel oil on board the tug. Thanks to the speedy response of the tug's owners, their liability insurers and the teams working for them the risk of an oil spill was prevented and the recent good weather has helped a lot. The oil has been transferred from the tanks in the bottom of the tug under the water line into upper tanks which are above the water line to prevent any leakage from possible damages to the bottom of the tug. It was decided not to pump the fuel ashore during the holiday week because the beach was expected to be crowded with holidaymakers.

Work will begin to free the grounded barge - that will entail removing some of its cargo of gravel - as soon as the necessary permits are received from the Marina de Guerra, which should be at any moment, then work will start on the tug. Hopefully the calm weather will continue, in the meantime the reef has been explored for a safe channel through which the salvage vessels can enter and exit without the risk of damage to themselves and the reef

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
That cursed barge......................

......went up to take a look at the progress being made today. Take a guess why this barge (actually one of the nicer/newest barges that has entered Dominican waters) is "CURSED". I will offer up the correct reason in a day or two. However, the answer (and hint) is not because it just had this "one" major incident.....

If they would just "drop the ramp", they could actually start a new attraction...that is setting up a ski jump for the "floating banana" that runs behind the speed boat up there on the beach......

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
They're still working on it ... both the barge and the tug are still out there and they've cordoned off a part of the beach where their equipment is. I'll take a walk up a little later today and snap a few photos to post.

Stay well,
Amy

Pictures

Here are some that Amy sent to me to post.

Salvage4.JPG

Salvage5.JPG

Salvage2.JPG

Salvage1.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.