Is Gurabo in Santiago a nice place to live?

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Anyone know whether Gurabo is a nice place to live? Is it safe for a small family to live? Is it close to shops and parks? Is it a busy or crowded neighbourhood? I believe there is a school, 'Padres a Milano Tandi' does anybody know whether this is a good school and if it teaches in English and Spanish?

thx

Tish

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Cerros de Gurabo is one of the nicest residential areas of Santiago. Typical of Dominican cities, the entire neighborhood is divided into smaller neighborhoods all named "something" Gurabo and a number at the end (ie. Cerros de Gurabo I, Cerros de Gurabo II, etc).

Safety, eh, its safer than most neighborhoods, BUT you need to take the normal simple precautions and use common sense. Plus, keep in mind that while much of Santiago has a feeling of a provincial town, its the epicenter of a region that has around 1 million people; so while it may feel at times like a small town... its not.

Gurabo is the eastern part of the city (east of the Sadhala Avenue) and the most desirable stores, the Centro Cibao Internacional mall is located nearby, fast food franchises, etc. It's the nicer part of the city, so obviously businesses that cater to the moneyed class are scattered in the area, especially on the Juan Pablo Duarte Avenue and on shopping plazas along Sadhala Avenue.

The neighborhood has a more suburban feel, but certain parts are becoming comercialized.

Regarding schools, I'll let someone who lives there to answer that one.

My response comes from my own experience with Santiago since I grew up not too far away from the city and I still got family members and acquaintances who live in Santiago as well.

Good luck!
-NALs

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
My paternal family hail from Gurabo or "Gurabito", As my father used to call it.
Not sure if they're one and the same. I remember visiting grandma in Gurabito as a child.
Back then ( I was six), it was all farmland specializing in growing pineapples. Haven't been back since.
Glad it turned into a nicer part of Santiago.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Gurabito is not the same as gurabo. nals I don't think tish was referring to ceros de gurabo, the high end area in santiago.
Now gurabo itself is a very decent neighborhood and quite huge too. It has some bad spots but over all a very pleasant neighborhood to live in.
AZB

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Thanks for your feedback.

Cerros de Gurabo certainly sounds nice. The address I've been given is just Gurabo not 'Cerros de' and then it goes onto include 10 Calle. Does anybody have any information on 'Padres a Milano Tandi' school. I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right, but it is in Gurabo?

C

Chip00

Thanks for your feedback.

Cerros de Gurabo certainly sounds nice. The address I've been given is just Gurabo not 'Cerros de' and then it goes onto include 10 Calle. Does anybody have any information on 'Padres a Milano Tandi' school. I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right, but it is in Gurabo?

Calle 10 crosses the Carretera Luperon. The north part goes towards the campo although there are some decent areas to be found.

The South part goes to the calle de los Rieles and there are some middle income homes in there (defined by myself as having block construction and cement roofs).

I don't know the school but there is a bilingual school not to far away called Holy Trinity and it can be found in the yellowpages - see link.

Páginas Amarillas (Form)

Also, I live in Los Llanos de Gurabo II which is about 5 to 7 min. away and I find it a relatively peaceful neighborhood.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is Padre Emiliano Tardiff!! Are you moving to Gurabo to be with your Dominican boyfriend? Your questions are all over the place>??? Go slow, no matter what you do. Look twice, think three times before you spend a dime (or tuppence)....

Very serious here.

HB