No offensive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenmasters

Mar 13, 2007
My friends and i (African Americans) are planning to go caberate and Sosua for a week in July. I have been reading some the threads on this board and it seems that the type of people who go to the north coast are old middle age people from canada and europe. What are the chances of meeting people in our age group (21-25) who can actually party? Not trying to be around of bunch of old people.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I think you'll find both Sosua & Cabarete to be enjoyable destinations.

Cabarete definitely has a young crowd day & night (18-30 mostly). Very active & sports oriented. It also has a real mix of nationalities & races. Not at all unusual to see African Americans on the beach or at the bars/discos. You should feel very comfortable there. As an example, just a couple of weeks ago I had dinner on the beach with friends who all live in Cabarete - an African American, Canadian, Serbian, and myself (caucasian American).

So, go & forget about skin color or country of origin & have lots of fun :)

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Especially in Cabarete. Seems that Sosua is a bit quiet.
You'll have a great time and probably find that you fit in and will have a better time than you think!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
CFA & jrf are giving it to you straight.
Cabarete's the place to be.
It's a young sporty windsurfing crowd and I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Sep 15, 2006
Ok. I didn't even bother asking that question because I know some people may not be able to tell if we are Dominican or not, (seeing as you mentioned your African American) until they here our accents that is...
I know how it is because I was worried that our resort in Cancun would be mostly older folks. I found out about it on the Timeshares User Group Board, and majority of timehare owners are older. It was cool though. It turned out to be mixed in age, and a semi-party resort.They played our music (It was the summer of Usher and "Yeah") at the pool without us requesting and everyone was dancing. Some people kept asking us if we were famous and mixing us up with the other people because apparantly we all look alike :rolleyes: . Lol, but I was worried prior for nothing.

You do know alot of dominicans are brown skinned right? I have an older brother who lives there, but I'm from another island. Anyway, there will def. be plenty of people who will look like you there,Dominican and not, and Cabarete basically caters to the young crowds as mentioned. No worries. Think of it like Cancun. It's a mix of people. This year, everybody and their mama is going to DR. I've already ran into three random people outside of message boards, who are taking a trip out there , and my friend's co-worker will be there for most of the summer visiting fam, so it's the place to be. I've been reading that it's better than Cancun, and Cancun was the longest one week,crazy helluh mad fun vacation I have ever had. By day three it felt like a week cause we did so much. So, if people are saying you can't even compare Cancun to Cabarete(one girl said she wouldn't even go back to Cancun even if Cabarete's curfew remained), then I am SOOO good to go!! I almost booked Puerto Plata, but thankfully some people pointed out the nightlife is in Cabarete and mildy Sosua. Go to TripAdvisors, and check the roll call or do one yourself. Just make a title saying:July Roll call - Ask them to mention their ages and what not and you will see a lot of responses. If you were going in August, you would have had 12 Crazy ppl to wild out with at the night spots!
Princessa~

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Cabarete is the place to meet people in your age group, and even with the curfew, there's still plenty of partying going on...but Sosua is far from dull!! Just a very different scene... the clubs there are huge in comparison to Cabarete and there are many more locals (no-surfer locals that is) out dancing and partying...BUT there are also alot of older American/Canadian/Euro guys there looking to meet young Dominican girls...not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

beachbum

Mar 16, 2005
Sorry I take offense......I can't believe nobody's has taken kenmasters to task for not wanting to be around a bunch of old people?? Are you afraid you can't hang with some of us old guys?? Trust me you'll find plenty of old guys and gals partying wherever you go and you just might be able to learn a thing or two from some of them.....I know I have, 31 days and counting!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sorry I take offense......I can't believe nobody's has taken kenmasters to task for not wanting to be around a bunch of old people?? Are you afraid you can't hang with some of us old guys?? Trust me you'll find plenty of old guys and gals partying wherever you go and you just might be able to learn a thing or two from some of them.....I know I have, 31 days and counting!!
I understand what you're saying, but respect any individual's decisions about what suits him best while on vacation.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Im 25 and I was living in Sosua most nights I was in Cabarete due to the fact thats its 100000 times more of a younger crowed and different clubs and u feel more at home partying there. I did go to a couple of places in Sosua but a lot of prostitutes and a lot of old man. Dont want to offend anybody but if ure young and want to have a good time partying Cabarete is the place!

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Im 25 and I was living in Sosua most nights I was in Cabarete due to the fact thats its 100000 times more of a younger crowed and different clubs and u feel more at home partying there. I did go to a couple of places in Sosua but a lot of prostitutes and a lot of old man. Dont want to offend anybody but if ure young and want to have a good time partying Cabarete is the place!

Yeah you got that right, ,lots of prostitutes in SOSUA big time...

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"Yeah you got that right, lots of prostitutes in SOSUA big time..."

... and of course they're never seen in Cabarete are they,

melchan

Apr 4, 2007
Black American in DR

In response to very first post:

I am Black and American and I have been to DR many times, POP, Santiago Central and North Coastal areas.

I want to advise you that many Dominicans are of black descent or mixed with black. There are a lot of young Dominicans to mingle with---your age. Yes, a lot of Canadians and Europeans are in DR, but don't you want to know the locals...not other tourists?.

There's plenty type of people in DR...this should be your least worry.

Whenever I go to DR people I assume I am a local, as long as I don't dress like a tourist.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Yeah you got that right, ,lots of prostitutes in SOSUA big time...

don't you mean a lot of buyers (johns) in sosua ? :ermm: a younger crowd means less money spent on girls and more on booze.

by the way, i'm USD green. that's why they love me in sosua...:laugh:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
There are a mix of people like most vacation destination. During the day Cabarete beach is livelier than Sosua beach but at night there will be enough young people to go around in the clubs. The music in Cabarete tend to be more Euro club music while in Sosua it tend to be hip hop, reggae, regueton, merengue and salsa. As for women, Sosua is largely a hooker town while in Cabarete you will be surrounded by mostly tourists.

My friends and i (African Americans) are planning to go caberate and Sosua for a week in July. I have been reading some the threads on this board and it seems that the type of people who go to the north coast are old middle age people from canada and europe. What are the chances of meeting people in our age group (21-25) who can actually party? Not trying to be around of bunch of old people.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
There are a mix of people like most vacation destination. During the day Cabarete beach is livelier than Sosua beach but at night there will be enough young people to go around in the clubs. The music in Cabarete tend to be more Euro club music while in Sosua it tend to be hip hop, reggae, regueton, merengue and salsa. As for women, Sosua is largely a hooker town while in Cabarete you will be surrounded by mostly tourists.

did he just slam sosua ?:ermm:

NYC_Trini_Span

Sep 9, 2005
Ok, well in response to both the original poster and Bellisima, I am 26. I find Cabarete repulsive. If you like Cancun, then you will like Cabarete. I personally hate the "drink till you puke, scream Woo-hooo all night" crowd. I'm in Dominican Republic. I want to see Dominicans, dancing to Salsa and Merengue, etc. I did NOT leave the USA to come to "Lil USA".

Another thing. I'm from NYC and dont freak that much in these situations (the following) but the last time i was in a club in Cabarete, two white guys broke out fighting, and one elbows a Dominican guy. Well he reaches to his beack waist and pulls out the oh so shiny 9mm and points it. It takes a few brave cats (i.e. his friends) to subdue him. I just made sure i was out of line fire and kept my night going.

So Yes I'm counter-"slaming" Cabarete.

In Sosua, ALL the clubs PAT DOWN the patrons and its genenrally safer inside as a result. Can't help you in regards to Broken Bottle BarFights though :(

NYC

NYC_Trini_Span

Sep 9, 2005
PS- I'm Trinidadian-American (African-American LOL).

Yes Dominicans have LOTS of African heritage, but a good %75 of them will be offended if you say that to them. something to do with resentment towards Haiti for "taking them over" (aka being the first Black country to liberate themselves from Slavery/Dependence in the Western World) but hey, I'm no Professor so forget my lil history lesson.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.