cooking chicken and choping up the bones in the meat,whats with that?

Sep 19, 2005
I have eaten at my buddies house a few times. and they had chicken...well it seems that his wife just hammered the chicken to death with a cleaver and then cooked it... didnt have one bite with out at least 4 little, various sized pieces of bone!

well this past week I shot a whole bunch of pheasants and brought them in for the a bunch of women at work. they are mostly dominican, and a few offered to cook me up some of the birds for lunch. well yesterday i had pheasant, rice and beans... and today i haveing it again from another woman. Both have the bird chopped up with out reguard to elliminating the bones...and it is a chore to pick out all the bones..

so my question is ...IS THAT STANDARD??

I dont notice it at all at my Gfs house...maybe because before i had chicken there i told her about the ordeal at my buddies house and how it ruins my meal to never be able to JUST CHEW my meal...

and as such I get whole pieces of chicken...LIKE AMERICA.. ha ah ah...in my meals there..( remind me to thank her mother!!)

I have no idea what part of the bird i am eating..it all gets chopped up so you really cant recognize any piece.....

I got to say..I dont like that

on another note... the beans yesterday were EXACTLY like my Gfs mother makes....today...well not quite the same.. ha ha

just an observation from a retarded gringo....

bob

C

Chip00

Yes Bob - that is completely normal. The good thing is after chipping a few teeth you will automatically be more careful.

I've given up on trying to "retrain" the wife in this regard. Now I don't even think about it.

The postitive of this is that it is good for the waistline. After 5 min. of jodiendo with the meat one looses their desire to eat a lot of it!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BAsically, it is a lack of kitchen skills.
We have chicken, pork and beef on a sort of rotation, and our chicken is parted at joints or in major pieces. Seldom do I find bits and pieces.

What you describe is not what happens in any kitchen I have visited, so I will have to attribute this to poor learning at her mother's knee.

Another thing is the lack of good tools in the kitchen. I'll bet you'd never find a really sharp knife in that kitchen nor would you find a knive without some dings and chips on the blade. "They" (Dominican women in general and cooks in particular) just do not know how to keep a kitchen...sorry to be stereotyping, but that has been my experience..

In part, this is because those that have servants and cooks don't care about "how" the food gets cooked as long as it is on the table and tastes good. ERGO, they do not worry about poorly sharpened knives or knives with dings and chipped blades...or beat up pots and pans....

And 99% of Dominican kitchens are terrible designed!!

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I think that you guys are missing the point!

WHERE DID YOU SHOOT PHEASANT?

Do you have a hunting dog? What gauge/shot did you use? Did you hang it properly to age it? Was it as good as the North American birds?

Sep 19, 2005

Do you have a hunting dog? What gauge/shot did you use? Did you hang it properly to age it? Was it as good as the North American birds?

not quite the point I was trying to make...the point I was trying to make related to the one on the end of the pheasant bone that went through my gum!!!!!!!!!!

BUT chip chicken is a diet food already....not eating it just makes you wander back in later on and eat potatoe chips or something junky like that

ringo..these birds are in North America...new york state to be specific....and the dominican women work at my company in CT.....but the Gfs mother lives in the dominican republic....

I didnt hang these birds...

yes i have two champion retriever labs

I used a 12 guage with number 6 shot

and hillbilly...you are probaby right to a POINT...that being who ever cooks for you may have gravitated to that way of cooking because of you!!!!!!!!!

I think my gfs mother probably chopped up a few bones before i came along.

and their knives are as dull as you imagined....actually the duller they are the more dangerous they are....but they do have a heavt duty cleaver that makes up a little for its dullness with its weight....thus the more splintering possible!!!!! ha ha h

while we are here...it is a given in the DR that the people feed the dogs chicken bones with out the blink of an eye.....

while I would NEVER give my labs chicken bones..because they splinter so much and became dangerous to swallow for the dog

bob

C

Chip00

I'm pretty certain he did the hunting back home in NE. Would be nice to do it here - if anybody does know where to do it here I'm all ears.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hello guys, I think I have the answer, even though I don't remember having experience what you are talking about, Bob, I think what's happening is a bad habit that came from when they were growing up. I think that when they were growing up as things were scarce they tried to make the chicken "rendir" feed more people with it, so they cut it up in smaller pieces. I was taught to always cut at the joints and is a very easy process if you follow the joints.

so I agree with Hillbilly, no culinary skills.

Last edited:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm pretty certain he did the hunting back home in NE. Would be nice to do it here - if anybody does know where to do it here I'm all ears.

Oh dang. I was sure that he had a typo and was pulling a V.P. Dick thing and was really hunting peasants.

So why do the bones bother you. Nothing like small lead shot to chomp down on.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Wait a minute... Hunting season is in the fall. So it must be peasants.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
How can it be that Dominican men expect their women to cook and take care of them (according to some threads in the past) if most Dominican women don't know how to cook according to this thread :confused:

I also noticed the same thing about pork - it is just cut into pieces with all the bones. Not sure if it is a tradition and should actually be this way.

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
How can it be that Dominican men expect their women to cook and take care of them (according to some threads in the past) if most Dominican women don't know how to cook according to this thread :confused:

I also noticed the same thing about pork - it is just cut into pieces with all the bones. Not sure if it is a tradition and should actually be this way.

Most Dominican women know how to cook and they cook pretty good of course for their Dominican males, for foreigners is another thing, we have to ask the foreigners.

but I am Dominican and I also complaint about how they butcher the animals, they have no idea how to make the nice cuts of meats. I don't know how it is in the big city butcher shops, like Santo DOmingo, I'm sure you can find nice cuts there.

Sep 19, 2005
So why do the bones bother you. .

hmmm...I dont know I guess i am a little wierd, i dont like impailing my gums and the roof of my mouth with splintered bird bones......no more than i like eating gravel or sand.......

I guess I take a lot for granted....if you have to ask why i dont like that.

since i havent had that many different dominican women cook for me, and that all of them seemed to cook chicken that way to some extent.....I figured id ask to learn if it is country wide, and thats just the way dominicans eat some meals...it is not as big a deal with most other meats like pork.....the bones are big and easy to find and dont shred so small....like the back bone of a chicken can do.......lord is that a pain to pull half a spine out of your mouth, piece by piece

because you cant see it inthe souce and the rest of the dish.

bob

C

Chip00

You guys should be aware that Dominicans love bone marrow (hence there love for bone marrow soup - yummy!?). That is probably why they don't care or better yet why they prefer to buy meat with bones. Don't believe me? Just stop by any colmado or carneceira or even a supermercado and order some meat and see for yourself if they don't completely disregard cutting at the joints. In fact if the meat has little (few) bones in it they will usually ask if you want some!

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have never tried Dominican home cooking, just what they sell and serve in restaurants. I have only been to a supermarket in Santo Domingo. They had a meat section and it looked pretty normal to me. The could cut any piece of meat you like to order.

I would like to try what Dominican people make at home. I am sure it is much different. Maybe I can also learn how to cook Dominican dishes. I would love to.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
You guys should be aware that Dominicans love bone marrow (hence there love for bone marrow soup - yummy!?). That is probably why they don't care or better yet why they prefer to buy meat with bones. Don't believe me? Just stop by any colmado or carneceira or even a supermercado and order some meat and see for yourself if they don't completely disregard cutting at the joints. In fact if the meat has little bones in it they will usually ask if you want some!

you know what? here where I live I used to go to a Dominican butcher shop and sometimes some of the guys would not cut at the joints, that used to bother me and i told him, please cut at the joints.

and in the DR, yes they do make the pork stew and the beef stew and it does have those bones pieces, arrrhhhhghgg, no good.:tired:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It's mainly because they don't use meat saws-rather just large cleavers to hack the meat into pieces.
I have a small hand held 'hack saw' that I use to cut large bones if I can't 'hack' them with a cleaver (you should see and feel the one I have). Also I take care to rinse off all the bone fragments before throwing the meat in the pot!!
I hate finding bone bits stuck in my teeth or to the roof of my mouth!

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
true - goat bones are just way too sharp

Weird, I've eaten quite a few home cooked meals and although the chicken was cut up - or chopped up - no one ever had bones they just didn't eat around.

mmm just love passing by the 'butchers' on my way to eat ... have you seen those places?

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
You guys should be aware that Dominicans love bone marrow (hence there love for bone marrow soup - yummy!?).

This is so true, even my 11mth old daughter (half dominican) had us all cracking up a few weeks back when she swiped a chicken leg bone from my plate and started singing yum yum yum whilst trying to have a good chew on it!