rum factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickiscorpio

Dec 3, 2006
hi can you visit the rum factory without doing the full tour that includes other areas in same trip??
if so does anyone have any details, prices location etc
thanks nicki

halwiki

Jan 28, 2007
Rum factory - balderdash. It's a bottling plant. The rum is distilled on the other side of the island, and bottled in Puerto Plata. The operation looks exactly like a soft drink bottling plant, or any other automated operation where something extremely simple takes place over and over.

Save your time for something better - like pouring Brugal out of the bottle!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
make sure you do San Felipe, Malecon and the cable car ride as well while you are visiting POP....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
brugal plant - indeed they only bottle ron there.
as far as i know tour is free with "tip" for the guide.
they also do have a shop onsite with brugal tshirts, hats, bags etc.
tour takes less than hour and it is only worth effort if you like ron or are interested in the process.
production plant is closed for visitors.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Did it in 1987 -- did it again in 2007. The place is now bigger and cleaner and it's moved out of town.

Go on! Do it! Just so you can be smug about it later when someone posts a query like yours.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Did it in 1987 -- did it again in 2007. The place is now bigger and cleaner and it's moved out of town.
I think it was ''86 or '87 when I toured it, smallish green building if my memory hasn't gone totally pffffttt, few employees, and about as many shots of ron you wanted during the tour. The big new plant is like seriously corporate compared to the old building, and I mean old.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Yep.

I think it was ''86 or '87 when I toured it, smallish green building if my memory hasn't gone totally pffffttt, few employees, and about as many shots of ron you wanted during the tour. The big new plant is like seriously corporate compared to the old building, and I mean old.

Yep.That was it -- down some back street in the town itself. Any time a bottle -- even full -- was skewed on the line, someone with a broom handle knocked it off into a bucket.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
And you can buy rum there cheaper then in the stores or airport. I think that's still the case but not sure with the new taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.