nursing opportunities in dr

mel01

Apr 3, 2007
i am a nursing student in canada , does anyone have any info on nursing opportunities in dr ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i am a nursing student in canada , does anyone have any info on nursing opportunities in dr ?
You won't like the answer. Nurses are held in fairly low esteem in the DR, very poor pay.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Actually about RD$6000 per month or about $200 Canadian.....

Stay home! Canada needs nurses......here they make nothing, have no earning power and most are just glorified bed pan emptiers. Doctors here are in abundance and do most of the work associated with nurses in Canada.

is mikehunt there is talking about nurses working in well known private clinics where getting a job would be next to impossible unless your Spanish is impecable and you are 'connected' to whomever is doing the hiring!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Stay home where you are needed more!

Actually about RD$6000 per month or about $200 Canadian.....

Stay home! Canada needs nurses......here they make nothing, have no earning power and most are just glorified bed pan emptiers. Doctors here are in abundance and do most of the work associated with nurses in Canada.

is mikehunt there is talking about nurses working in well known private clinics where getting a job would be next to impossible unless your Spanish is impecable and you are 'connected' to whomever is doing the hiring!

mel01

Apr 3, 2007
thanks for all your info

thanks for all your information, it sounds like there is not much point in looking for a nursing position , unless its volenteer work , thanks.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
if you get thru school, it is really tough, i know from experience, do a couple of years MED-SURG, get a couple of letters like ACLS after your RN then go to work on a cruise ship..........you will be a ships officer, that means your own stateroom, dining WITH the passengers not in some dump in the bilge, good pay, see the world, it is a blast......................

mel01

Apr 3, 2007
thanks, that does sound like a lot of fun. I never thought of anything like that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Or immigrate to the US of A where nurses can make in excess of $60-65,000 a year and vacation in the DR...

But the OR/SUR after your name is important! Get as much training as possible.
There are tens of thousands of nursing position open in the US..

Sorry for the bad news, but youdid learn of a fantastic alternative....

HB

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
It's not totally hopeless, I saw the American embassy was hiring for nursing positions. The pay isn't fantastic (and there's a huge discrepancy between pay for dependent Americans and everyone else) but not too bad. If you're still in school it's not too applicable, but I just wanted to show you there are some options out there!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It's not totally hopeless, I saw the American embassy was hiring for nursing positions. The pay isn't fantastic (and there's a huge discrepancy between pay for dependent Americans and everyone else) but not too bad. If you're still in school it's not too applicable, but I just wanted to show you there are some options out there!
Actually not so bad. The pay was about RD$ 45,000/month for a part time position (20 hours/week). No local will qualify as it requires a valid US nursing license or equivalent.

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
You won't like the answer. Nurses are held in fairly low esteem in the DR, very poor pay.
For the work and education they have here about healtcare I can see why are paid so little. Do they have any idea about minimal sanitary care? I would be very suprised if they did!