What Makes you proud about the Dominican Republic

Jun 5, 2004
My friend has to do a report on the Dominican Republic and I decided to help her put by telling her what makes Dominican people proud. Some things I though of were:

Amelia Vega
Felix Sanchez
First Cathedral in the "New World"
Highest Peak in the Caribbean

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
My friend has to do a report on the Dominican Republic and I decided to help her put by telling her what makes Dominican people proud. Some things I though of were:

Amelia Vega
Felix Sanchez
First Cathedral in the "New World"
Highest Peak in the Caribbean

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Purest beaches
Most beautifull women ;)
Best rhum
Best political rally i've ever whitnessed (it started with a bottle of rhum and ended when the last one was empty)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Juan Luis Guerra
Merengue & Bachata music
The beaches of the DR (the best in the Caribbean)

If I think of more I'll post.

Folks - please keep this clean. What makes one person proud might not make the other. This thread isn't to argue about what makes you proud but to SAY what makes you proud.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not Felix S?nchez!! He was Made in the USA
Aisha the violin prodigy!
Mar?a Garc?a-World class judo player
Dominican food
Dominican coffee
The majority of Dominican Baseball players....
Cardinal L?pez Rodr?guez
Oscar de la Renta
Juan Bosch--the writer
Presidente beer
Barcel?, Brugal and Berm?dez rums..

And the list goes on.

HB

C

Chip00

1. The peoples friendly disposition.
2. Racial integration.
3. Baseball players.
4. The food.
5. El merengue.

Chip

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
1. The music
2. The dancing
3. The spirit of the people
4. The beaches
5. The sense of community and family

holita

Jun 6, 2006
1. Strong Unique Culture
2. Music
3. Food
4. Beaches, Mountains, lakes, rivers, and vegetation
5. Art
6. The strong proud personalities of the Dominican person

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
- Optimism in the face of adversity.
- Joie de vivre.
- Natural beauty and the growing sense of awareness of its value.
- Human warmth, beauty, dignity and grace.
- Community spirit.
- Manners.
- Food, art, music.
- Child-centered attitudes.

This is one element I can't sum up with a short phrase - the strong pride in many aspects of Dominican cultural heritage in the face of international influences - gastronomy is one notable example - but other cultural manifestations as well. On the other hand, the not-entirely-insular nature of Dominicans who welcome people and influences from other parts of the world at the same time as preserving and valuing their distinctive heritage.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
- Joie de vivre.
- Community spirit.
- Manners.
- Food, art, music.

This is one element I can't sum up with a short phrase - the strong pride in many aspects of Dominican cultural heritage in the face of international influences - gastronomy is one notable example - but other cultural manifestations as well. On the other hand, the not-entirely-insular nature of Dominicans who welcome people and influences from other parts of the world at the same time as preserving and valuing their distinctive heritage.

Wonderful post, Chirimoya! I just wish I had beat you to it! LOL

Marlie

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
You ever listened to the national anthem as sung by the national symphony choir?....Quisqueyanos valientes alcemos nuestro canto con viva emoci?n....!

C

Chip00

You ever listened to the national anthem as sung by the national symphony choir?....Quisqueyanos valientes alcemos nuestro canto con viva emoci?n....!

Sure - but would sound better to merengue! Imaginate!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
- Joie de vivre.
- Community spirit.
- Manners.
- Food, art, music.

Listen to Chiri, she knows what she is talking about. Chirimoya, I would like you to expand on the community spirit aspect. Just some examples.

I have never been there, but I think community spirit is lacking in many places, cities, countries. Of course, the joie de vivre too.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What makes me proud.........and humble?

The INDOMITABLE spirit of the people. Get knocked down (figuratively & literally) get back up again, time and time again. And smile whilst they're doing it. Wish I was more like that. Living here has made me more humane, next it needs to make me more resilient.

nine1973

Nov 24, 2004
Multiple things to be proud about

As a dominican citizen:

Dominicans are proud to have the "first" of many things in America, so they are kind of the first human kind in America, lol...Baseball, food, big plus. Dominicans are extremely proud and responsible for providing the world with two of the tops rithyms in the world: Merengue and Bachata...which has put millions of people in a definitely caribbean mood.

Kindness and sense of humor are a big plus to dominican culture...

As a dominican that have traveled many places I can tell you...Dominicans are not able to ski (broke my wrist trying in chile once) since there is no SNOW in DR, that is why till this day any dominican that travels abroad for their first encounter with snow, will, while no one looks, taste snow!!!!!! and my fellows dominican know that this is true, funny uhh!!!!! at the end they see that is nothing different from something you can find in the upper level of your fridge, is called frost.

Dominicans also cannot dance other rythms, once I tried to dance tango...and believe me I force myself to do it, and I ended up doing a mix of merenche-bachata-tango (no idea) I guess my legs wont respond to any of that!!! lol dominican software will never adapt to other rythms. So that is something to be proud about.!!!lol IF you dont believe me, play any music to a dominican and watch his reaction....lol

And of course you can never forget the extensive miles of beaches known and the ones that are also waiting to be discovered.

Viva la Patria>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RD