Shipping Personal Effects

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I just saw this coming across the news ticker. Stabroek News

This company has agreed with Inposdom to ship personal effects to the DR from their offices in New York, New Jersey, Boston and Miami.

"In a related meeting, the Director General of Customs, Miguel Cocco, endorsed this alliance and guaranteed that there will be no customs duties charged on personal effects items. The clearance order will be expedited in order that a door-to-door service through a US shipper to families in the Dominican Republic can be done within 22 days."

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

This company has agreed with Inposdom to ship personal effects to the DR from their offices in New York, New Jersey, Boston and Miami.

"In a related meeting, the Director General of Customs, Miguel Cocco, endorsed this alliance and guaranteed that there will be no customs duties charged on personal effects items. The clearance order will be expedited in order that a door-to-door service through a US shipper to families in the Dominican Republic can be done within 22 days."
Sounds good.
Hope it is everything it says it will be.

Jan 9, 2004
Seeing is believing

Chris:

Thank You for the link. While I hope they are successful, we have seen these great press releases before. Their actions will speak louder than their words.

For the moment, I will stay with my local company shipper, who is also the same guy receiving it in the D.R. Forgive my skepticism, but this appears to be a private company in the U.S. shiping goods to the to the Postal Service in the D.R. If it is, how will they (postal service) get boxes/packages to people when they cannot get a simple letter to them. For those that don't know, the Dominican postal system, to put it mildly, leaves a great deal to be desired.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I enjoy it when Inposdom is mentioned be it in the news or elsewhere. Reminds me of last year when I was preparing to travel to Sosua for Rocky's 4 July party. My check card from my American bank was ready to expire and I contacted them about a replacement. They informed me that a new one had been shipped out 3 weeks prior. Bank of America will only ship by regular US mail which means when the mail gets here it then enters the Inposdom system. Anyway,,,,,,, after 11 e-mails to them, 11 months waiting, 11 cards sent by them, I finally received the card yesterday.

If all organizations could run as smoothly as Inposdom just envision how great this world would be ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NOT!!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
my sister-in -law worked for Inposdom as a low level clerk. when we got a new president, hippo, hers and many other jobs were ended. the new president acting as a good president should put all new people in. when leonel replaced hippo there was a similar scene repeated and so it goes with each presidential election down at the PO. why deliver at all if you know you will someday lose your job regardless of any hard work done?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
"why deliver at all if you know you will someday lose your job regardless of any hard work done?"

Exactly!!! There is no reason to do the job you were hired for. Make everyone that may rely on the services you provide suffer due to the fact that you are going to lose your job in 3 or 4 years time.

Makes perfect sense ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NOT!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
on the other side of the coin, in the US, and not so much in the PO, we have fat (literally), lazy, overpaid, grandiose slob bureaucrats that we can't get rid of with nuclear weapons. my first wife worked for a state agency, she was hired as a clerk typist @ 18k. her job title went from clerk typist to secretary level 1, to level 2, to level 3, to administrative assistant. her job duties and responsibilities never changed, she actually never even changed desks, her pay doubled................

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
as far as shipping goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,already in NY,NJ, boston and miami are shipping agents that deliver door to door, unopened, no customs, large boxes, about the size of a 2 drawer filing cabinet, for about 100 US, they even supply the boxes, takes about 3 weeks. so, unless this service is going to be cheaper, i don't see anything new...........

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
as far as shipping goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,already in NY,NJ, boston and miami are shipping agents that deliver door to door, unopened, no customs, large boxes, about the size of a 2 drawer filing cabinet, for about 100 US, they even supply the boxes, takes about 3 weeks. so, unless this service is going to be cheaper, i don't see anything new...........

Anyone have info of the companies in Miami or (prferably) Ft. Lauderdale? Can you send whatever you want in these boxes? is there a weight restriction?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Anyone Have a Name/Tel. Number For One Of Those Shipping Companies

In LYNN /Boston Mass.??????????????????
I am in LYNN now and want to ship some "STUFF" to my home in STO-DGO.
Cris Colon

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
criss, try the yellow pages under movers, shipping, etc. look for ads that say puerta a puerta. the big fat boston phone book is where i'd look first. probably if you drive around roxbury - dorchester -blue hill ave, comes to mind, you should see the storefronts. usually the guys that do DR will have a Dominican flag somewhere visible, as opposed to shippers that are primarily going to mexico. in the bronx or washington heights you find them on every other corner.