The customer is always...last?

C

Chip00

As most who live here in DR now in spite of all the great things this country and it's people have to offer they really fall behind in customer service.

For instance, last night I went to Pollo Victorina at just after 9 pm(they close at 10pm) and ordered my favorite - a fried chicken breast sandwhich. I told the lady at the counter what I liked and she said that the sandwhiches weren't available because they had already put the lettuce and tomato away(not really though as it ws on the counter in is's container, covered.)

I said with a cheery disposition and a smile that I would still like a sandwhich whereupon she said sorry - you will have to choose something else. At this point I said very respectably let me speak with the manager whereupon she replies "a favor" and starts serving the next person in line. BTW if anybody needs a translation of "a favor" - it basically means "give me a break/get lost!".

Anyway so I looked for another employee and asked for "el gerente" and immediately came out and I explained to him what had happened and he apologized and filled by order personally. What a great guy! Also, at no point did I act like a normal gringo and get all teed off - I was very respectful if somewhat adamant and didn't have a cross look on my face.

What I find so odd is the typical Dominican behavior of being very genial in public that just doesn't seem to follow through when it comes to customer service. It's almost as if the customer expects to get ignored or otherwise assumed to be wrong when they are buying something. Furthermore, it appears to me that everybody complains about this and some therefore can't wait to go to work to be able treat their customers at work if given the opportunity.

In the case of the uptight lady at Pollo Victorina isn't typical because this is really the first time someone got "smart" with me. However, it is apparent to me at least that part of the problem are the labor laws here. I have been paying attention to people here and how they act at the workplace and management styles, etc and it is all over the place. However, I think it is safe to say that the people here feel a certain "latitude" to act and say things in the workplace that one could never get away with in the US.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Most Dominicans treat each over like crap from my perspective. I'm sure Dominicans don't feel like that as they don't have any other reference.

Bottom line, they have very little customer service training when compared to 1st world businesses. What we see as bad, they see as normal.

Many gringos make the mistake of raising their voice and start posturing, this really doesn't work here, you're better off acting stupid and smiling.

Dominicans love to help people, you just need to know how to get them to help you. Usually a joke and a smile does the trick ;)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Part of the this problem is minimum salary personnel and a high personnel rotation in companies. These people do these jobs because they don't have many other options, not because they like it or want to do it. What do they care if you can't eat what you want, it's not their problem!

I've also seen this kind of service for example in Multicentro Churchill. It's a place with a high quantity of clients going through, and the cashiers have to be standing in one spot all the time. After a while, clients seem to blend into one another and the surprise on their faces when you say," Buenos dias, como estas?" is really worth it.

C

Chip00

Many gringos make the mistake of raising their voice and start posturing, this really doesn't work here, you're better off acting stupid and smiling.

Dominicans love to help people, you just need to know how to get them to help you. Usually a joke and a smile does the trick ;)

I agree 100% - for that reason I smiled a lot and did not raise my voice - even though I didn't mention it I said please that I really wanted a sandwhich and since the lettuce and tomato were still on the counter, etc.

However, none of that worked and after pleading as kindly as I could I finally asked for the manager and I still can't believe that she told me "a favor" - that's a first!

Maybe it was because I was in my usual "motoconchista" outfit and with my accent I bet she thought I was a "Dominicanyork" - which might help explain the open lack of respect!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
See this discussion on Customer Service in the DR. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/44176-customer-service-survey.html#post334416

I don't blame the employees for their lack of customer service skills, but blame the management in most cases. I have found that most Dominican employees will work to the level expected of them. When employees who fail to meet these requirements are penalized, most will comply. An example would be when we offered a "perfect attendance" bonus. When offered for as a bonus for perfect attendance, many didn't comply. But when told they start the pay-period with the bonus and would be penalized for absence or tardiness, that made a difference. Negative reinforcement seems to be more effective than positive reinforcement.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Must be a worldwide thing

I at times believe that there is no such thing as customer service anymore. We eat out at least once a week and I cannot tell you how many times our dinner might as well have been thrown at us. Not to mention going into WalMart and at the checkout , I say "Hello" and "thank you" to either get stone cold silence or a look of disgust. Of course it gets my mojo up and I say " Thank you for shopping at WalMart. Have a great day" !!! Or 'Wow, don't you just LOVE the customer service here" Whatever happened to having your groceries bagged ,( as we all know how much it costs every week), and the person who is "helping" you( as you are browsing through the isles in search of something that is placed in an area which does not make any sense), saying Thank you???

Customer service seems to be a thing of the past. Pretty much now you go in, buy your products, pay through the nose, and if your are very lucky someone may smile.

Just so you are aware I am in Canada and this is how people are treated. I am always respectfull and fairly cheery until someone is basically rude. I have never run into any situations like this in the DR but I am sure there are uncustomer service people there too. Have a great day all.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Just so you are aware I am in Canada and this is how people are treated. I am always respectfull and fairly cheery until someone is basically rude. I have never run into any situations like this in the DR but I am sure there are uncustomer service people there too. Have a great day all.

Speaking of,
I was out getting a few groceries yesterday and I had to stop three people from bagging my groceries. I have two large clothe bags and my own system and I have to hit these nice Canadians over the head to stop them from putting things in plastic bags for me.

Saving the environment from plastic bags right Keith? ;)

Ok I'm highjacking so I'll so sit in the corner now:paranoid:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Maybe it was because I was in my usual "motoconchista" outfit and with my accent I bet she thought I was a "Dominicanyork" - which might help explain the open lack of respect!

Hell, I have seen you on that bike,
.....I would not have served you either,
...........coming in looking like a member of "Hell's Angels" :smoke: lol

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I honestly believe that even with a half -*ssed business on the same street as a similar shop or store or restaurant that with good service you would do great.

Have also found that being the polite 'gringo' and making a point of eye contact and the 'como estas' that when you do return you are remembered and may end up getting better service than you thought.

What gets me is the restaurant that gives you fair dominicano pricing and then once you are somewhat of a regular the fish n rice dish goes from 80 to 110 pesos.
Not a huge deal but I sure lose my interest after that.

C

Chip00

Hell, I have seen you on that bike,
.....I would not have served you either,
...........coming in looking like a member of "Hell's Angels" :smoke: lol

Here is a picture of the Hells Angells gringo Motoconchista. Hell, I admit I'm not a lot to look at but scary, nah!

48bxfro.jpg

Also, see link below, it a free website that you don't have to be a member to that is super easy to upload photos. I have no idea how they stay in business. Anyway you go to the link, upload photo and then copy link after it is located and paste in you DR1 post!

TinyPic - Share The Experience!?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Te ves como un puro Cibae?o. :cheeky: you just have to work on the accent, or maybe pretend to be "mudo" lol, just kiddin'

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Ref. your picture of the Hells Angels gringo Motoconchista

That's not the image I remember Chip................

2elc86b.gif

You know ofcourse that I am just joking....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
See this discussion on Customer Service in the DR. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/44176-customer-service-survey.html#post334416

An example would be when we offered a "perfect attendance" bonus. When offered for as a bonus for perfect attendance, many didn't comply. But when told they start the pay-period with the bonus and would be penalized for absence or tardiness, that made a difference. Negative reinforcement seems to be more effective than positive reinforcement.

Interesting because Honda and Toyota work on the positive reinforcement principle here in Ontario and it seems to work great for them.

Oct 29, 2006
According to my experience, the customer service that is being offered in restaurants, shops and hotels, throughout the DR, is much better than the one I experience in New York.

I'm excluding only 5 star places in the U.S. such as the better shops, hotels and restaurants in Las Vegas, L.A., New York, etc. However, go to any establishment in boros such as Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx or Staten Island (or Pennsylvannia for that matter) and you will see what I mean. Or, just simply, go to any bank in the good U.S. of A. and see what kind of personalized service you get (unless your name is Bill Gates), and then, of course, you will never be there.
And, if you don't believe me, simply go to Macy's or many of the other national retailers on any street store, shopping center or mall.

Or, better yet, try to call any of the phone, cable and internet big providers in the U.S. and see what happens when you have a need, other than to open a new account with them.

In the U.S. employees getting paid $8.00 an hour, aren't any better than in the DR; unless, of course, their own personality, makes them pleasant; a circumstance easier to find in DR.

Training? LOL, at $8.00 an hour it becomes more of a lottery.

While is true, that professional training is lagging behind in DR, it's also true that the average dominican can make your experience a lot more pleasurable than in the US.

Of course, that is only my opinion and experience, after living in New York for the past 37 years.

Could I be a bit partial because I speak spanish? You bet, but "mechanical courtesy" does not cut it for me anymore.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Here is a picture of the Hells Angells gringo Motoconchista.

.......... should that be Motoconchisto ?

I know, my Spanish is bad, so if "a" is correct and not "o" on the end have pity on me!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
According to my experience, the customer service that is being offered in restaurants, shops and hotels, throughout the DR, is much better than the one I experience in New York.
I dunno, Raffy, at least in the DR I get a smile with questionable service, instead of being ingored with a snarl...