Which beach is best from STI

Status
Not open for further replies.

melchan

Apr 4, 2007
Ok I'm gonna fly to STI in July, then stop in villa Bisonio (navarete) to drop my son with his abuela. Then me and a friend will need to get to the CHEAPEST beach (cheap hotel -non gated compund resorts, etc).

What can you suggest?

On my own research it seems Sosua is the cheapest are to vacation. Am I right?

By the way, it's so much CHEAPER to fly to STI than POP airport.
Right now American has fllights from DC-Reagan to STI 245$ Round trip, it's $500 + to fly to POP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
The beach in Cabarete are better than sosua, recently they added white sand. its lovely..

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The beach in Cabarete are better than sosua, recently they added white sand. its lovely..
Assuming one is using a beach for swimming, this is incorrect.
Cabarete faces into the East, where both the wind & water currents come from, so the surf churns up the sand near the shore and by the time you get through the sandy part to clear water, you may have windsurfers running over you.
Sosua beaches face either into the North or the West and are a lot clearer for swimming.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
what about the hotels $$$$..

Again a little cheaper in Sosua.

Rocky's ~ $22 -- I think

Casa Valeria ~ $35 - $40 -- I think

New Garden ~ $35 -- I think

Others similar

Google them or search this site

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From Navarrete, you have Maim?n, Cofres?, Puerto Plata (Long Beach), Bergantin, Sos?a, Cabarete. In that order. If you look around you can find cheap accommodations in each one of them.
I would suggest you contact Rocky directly, and see what he as to offer....

HB

From Navarrete, you have Maim?n, Cofres?, Puerto Plata (Long Beach), Bergantin, Sos?a, Cabarete. In that order. If you look around you can find cheap accommodations in each one of them.
I would suggest you contact Rocky directly, and see what he as to offer....

HB
HILLBILLY ..... You forgot your good friend with a beautiful new house to rent in Costambar !

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
HB likely did not add "the new house" since likely not being rented for $22 bucks....

....per night. However, if it is renting for that price per night I think someone just "found the jackpot" prize!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Don't forget to and in the taxi fare both ways. Unless you rent a car. The airfare might not be that different. I'm noy sure But I think it's about $150USD each way. I know someone here can tell you.

Elwanderer

Apr 21, 2007
Don't forget to and in the taxi fare both ways. Unless you rent a car. The airfare might not be that different. I'm noy sure But I think it's about $150USD each way. I know someone here can tell you.

Somebody please say this isn't so. If it's $150 US each way I'm coming and starting a limo service.

What is it really?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Get real. See Welcome To Paradise Transportation for accurate pricing.

You can do this with public transport for pennies....hop a bus near the 30 de marzo cemetery to Navarrete (Villa Bison?) and then get one to POP or Sos?a direct.

Since you must speak the lingo, this shouldn't be a problem...

HB

baltojohn

Apr 1, 2007
Melchan,
I flew into Santiago myself a few weeks ago from Dca. It was a few hundred dollars cheaper than to fly out of BWI. You'll have to let me where you found that $247 fare. The least expensive I found was on sidestep.com was 347. I used the taxi service someone mentioned above and it was 80 bucks each way. There are cheaper alternatives such as renting a car (I was quoted a price of 125 for 5 days) or the bus service but the taxi may be the best available if your not familiar with the DR. I stayed at the New Garden. It was nicely landscaped, nice pool, clean, 5 minute walk to everything, AC, restaurant (I never tried) and hot water. My only complaint was that it could have used a new coat of paint as some was chipping off the walls. It was 45 plus a fee of 2 bucks a day for the safe. I also scouted around for other hotels, and all previously mentioned were decent places to stay. I would add Casa Cayena to the list.

Sep 19, 2005
well subtract any transportation costs from POP to you destination from what it costs from STI to your destination to get the "extra cost " over the flight...and see if you have not still saved

better yet subtract the transportation fees of taking the son from POP to Navarete, and then yourself BACK TO THE DESTINATION and vice versa after the trip....and after you do that....you will think you are a genious for flying into STI instead of POP.

bob

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
I stayed in Cabarete in February

The cheapest hotel was El Kaoba for a standard room $45 they have bungalows for under $30

It was literally a couple of steps away from the beach - not even 1/2 a block

The beach was beautiful with the new sand :)

Staying there again in August .. nothing really fancy but clean and nice .. everyone was courteous .. they have some new rooms

Cabarete hotel Dominican Republic?Puerto Plata - Cabarete windsurfing and kitesurfing or 809-571-0030 Michel is the owner he is always there

you can also email to info@kaoba.com

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
saving money

Get real. See Welcome To Paradise Transportation for accurate pricing.

You can do this with public transport for pennies....hop a bus near the 30 de marzo cemetery to Navarrete (Villa Bison?) and then get one to POP or Sos?a direct.

Since you must speak the lingo, this shouldn't be a problem...

HB

I fully agree with Hillbilly.

Don't spend hours searching the cheapest airline prices and then spend hundres of dollars on taxi-fare. Use instead the perfectly suitable and frequent running public transport means of the country. Even with limited Spanish, anybody can get advise and assistance on how to use the guaguas or coaches that ply the main routes. The taxi-mafie has a monopoly on the airport transport and is charging exorbitant prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.