Vaccines needed?

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I am moving to DR in 3 months, and I was wondering if anyone suggested any vaccines. i was thinking to get Hep A, Hep B, and Flu...anything else needed???;)

A

apostropheman

coming from canada and having gone to a physician specializing in tropical disease it was recommended to me to get the twinrix Hep A and B (combo) shots. everything is optional and everything else was unnecessary in his opinion.

i got my twinrix shots and never looked back (circa late 2003).
Home - Twinrix

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Fifteen years ago I had 'the works' because I used to travel to some pretty weird places & have always kept 'the works' current. So my 'works' included Hep A, Meningitis A & C, Diptheria, Typhoid, Polio, Yellow fever, Tetanus and Rabies (rabied goats in Mongolia ;) ). I renew the ones which need it when I visit UK once every 3 years (things like Yellow Fever are once every 10 years). I also used to keep smallpox & cholera jabs current but you can't get the vaccines any more unless you work as a researcher of those items.

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Holita if you make an appointment with a travel clinic they'll fix you up with everything you need. Travel clinics are (imho) better than just seeing your GP as the clinics are the most up to date in terms of knowing what shots for what areas.

You might not have time to get your Twinrix is the only thing. You have to get it in a series of three - first one, next one a month later, and then the last after six months (this per the travel clinic here in Newfoundland). If you're moving to the DR though you can probably get it done once you get there. I'm sure someone on here knows where to get them done. :)

Binerds

Nov 30, 2006
I don't know where you're coming from Holita but even for just a trip to the DR in the UK you are given Tetanus (if not already up to date), typhoid, polio, Diptheria & Hepititus A.
Always best to go to the doctors and they should tell you, plus how much in advance you need them. Don't know about charges, but in UK they are free.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Thanks everyone.

I called the doctor and he said I needed Hep A, Hep B, and Tetanus-Diptheia. Typhoid, Yellow Fever, and MMR were optional.

I am going next week to get the vaccines. Thanks.;)

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
In the US insurance doesn't pay for them -- They are expensive!!! Be prepared if you live there!!

A

apostropheman

when i got my Hep A&B the total for the vaccines and the shots was about $300 CAD. the cost on them currently is about $240 CAD plus the injections, according to someone i know who is currently getting them.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Actaully if you are at risk for Hep either A or B many US insurance companies will pay for it along with the titers to follow it. Remember to get a titer 2 years after your Hep B.vac. Most will need a booster every 4-5 years. Some of us llucky ones have permanently converted.

Bob K

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
I am moving to DR in 3 months, and I was wondering if anyone suggested any vaccines. i was thinking to get Hep A, Hep B, and Flu...anything else needed???;)

Great answers, for Hep A & B their are 3 shots required. After your first, you need to wait 30 days for the second, the final shot or injection is 90 days after your second.

Bottom line is you need to start this 4 months prior to your travel destination

I would highly reccomend everyone get a Hep A & B shot which is good for 10 years regardless of your country of origin.

If you get Hepatitis you can not enjoy your favorite alcoholic beverage.

And I would not wish that on anyone.